Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 07:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I would guess that because *some* shelter is better than no shelter at all.

But I absolutely agree that there should be more affordable housing overall. It doesn't have to be an either/or solution.
Why should there be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 07:32 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Since Florida came up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I'm so proud- did not know we still had caring humans on here! God bless --- in FL we have quiet a bit in the winter as they migrate south from the cold. BUT we have mostly homeless families due to work or injury preventing them to work- abused wives- drugs- drink- pills etc etc. What breaks my heart near me, is the countless homeless teens that go to school every day-
The kids did NOT put themselves in that situation, but every year we have handfuls that graduate. They need help- but jobs and training, would save them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I go to Daytona Beach every Thanksgiving, and the homeless problem in that town is very bad.......everywhere you look, there is some poor soul, trying to survive. In a country like America, this is just as unforgivable as children going to bed hungry at night.

But the GOP side doesn't care, they like people with gold plated toilets.
I moved from Upstate NY to tropical America.
Want to adress the homeless and poverty issue in this state?

Solution.
Don't depend on customer service, tourism, Tropicana, and Disney for an economy. For instance where I live people are jumping for joy over a new gas station, another Aldi, auto parts store, a 3rd or 4th WalMart, and a new restaurant/bar going in a strip mall.

"Oh the jobs it will create"-if you're in construction maybe a good thing, working pathetically low wage jobs at those places after they're built are not what I consider something to get excited over.
Wasting real estate for another snowbird retirement center, or another dead end job, is foolish.

Bring some real industry down here or suffer like upstate NY did when the cityiots migrated north of Dutchess county.

No reason there can't be a Harley, or GM production plant down here.
No reason there can't be another Global Foundries down here.

3 major colleges that teach in lucrative careers such as engineering, and where do those educated students go after graduating? North and west.

Odd how its acceptable to take a good piece of land and butcher it to have yet another HOA/Gated community with houses built almost on top of each other... But no production or assembly...
Construction-make your money once. Maybe twice if a hurricane rolls in.

Need something sustainable. And it surely isn't asking some foagie whether they want fries with that, or babysitting a cash register...

Talk to salesmen at work... Only people buying brand new vehicles are snow birds. Locals don't have money for new cars. Look around and see the clunkers running around... Thats true. If I had a dollar for every blown out window replaced by plastic and duct tape, smoke from oil burning, the clack of broken exhaust manifolds, ball joints screaming when turning into a parking lot, tail lamps inoperable... Never mind bald tires with steel belts showing...
Then these dealers all being part of a corporate conglomerate type structure where the philosophy is why pay 1 proficient mechanic well, when we can have 2 back yard barneys for the same price... I've seen it... 90 day probationary period, then find a reason to can a guy... Places are a revolving door... NY most dealers are family run guys working there until they retire, really screw up, or left due to moving...

But hey, we got a WAWA coming soon, and another walmart. Yay!

Alot of untapped potential in this state. Especially in the area I live in...

I'd almost be willing to bet money, in the domestic market of HD Florida Arizona California keep that company alive with year round sales... Build them here, nix the destination/freight charge knock a grand off when it comes time to sign the dotted line.

Year round racing weather be it dirt oval or asphalt stock cars, drag racing, road courses, dirt bike, quads, but nowhere to ride since everywhere you look is a strip mall with 2/3 sign spinners out front, gas station, walmart, pharmacy, auto parts store, dollar store, 55+ community, and houses almost on top of each other...
Densely populated, but no sustainable jobs. Many in my neighborhood drive down to west palm for work every day...

Want to end poverty in Florida? Stop catering to holier than thou snowbirds (It was a nice break when they left NY for 6 months) and relying on tourism, and put some real industry in the state... Then theres the arrogance that exists as Floridians somehow aren't as capable of those from the north or from California... Funny... Florida has NASA and some pretty good colleges where people from all over the country flock to... Can't be just for the football teams...

Old 04-14-2017, 08:53 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Have you looked at statistics showing where government spending is going to most for living assistance? It's not the homeless for obvious reasons, it's the poor living in the poorest areas of the country which is in poor conservative areas. The out migration of funds vs gaining of these Funds based on what each area/state produces is clearly from blue/liberal to red/conservative.

Link them please, with citations to their sources please.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:09 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Someone upthread mentioned seismic costs which will drive up cost per unit.

But there are many other factors that drive up costs in multi-family (basically multiple tenant) properties. In Orange County I imagine the land costs are exorbitant. Also no mention if these sites involve demolition of existing properties and possible hazardous material abatement. Or the possibility of soil contamination that needs to be mitigated. When government or good samiritan groups are given free land it is often very expensive because there was a reason it lacked potential buyers.

On the construction front you also have to have fires separation, sprinkling, booster pumps for water, additional costs for egress, and shared spaces for management and programs. There is a also a lot of square footage dedicated to hallways/circulation and stairs/egress that you would not have in single family. Elevators will be required depending on zoning/occupancy and those run Kick in parking, site drainage and taps to accommodate so many separate units. It sounded like the 407k per bed complex was going to have a full service jobs/health/training/social work center included. They probably should have give an per bed cost for housing and separate # for that center. Most capital project budgets will also include everything including security systems, cameras, furniture, etc.

So the numbers grow quickly and include a lot of things most people from a single family dwelling would not associate with a housing unit.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:50 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Seems Utah focuses on people living on the streets.

They don't require any to demonstrate sobriety as a condition of housing.

Utah Reduced Chronic Homelessness By 91 Percent; Here's How : NPR
Smart move by Utah.

You can't even apply for food stamps let alone a job without a physical address. When people have hope, such as having a stable home to live in, they are more apt to get clean.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:23 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Link them please, with citations to their sources please.
This should start you off in the right direction. The correlation? The blue states provide the most funding and are the least dependent while the red states are the biggest recipients. Go do some of your own research, trust me, its good for you.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/
10 States That Rely The Most On Food Stamps: USDA | The Huffington Post
Food Stamp Use, by State
The states the most and least dependent on the federal government - Business Insider

Old 04-14-2017, 10:55 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
This should start you off in the right direction. The correlation? The blue states provide the most funding and are the least dependent while the red states are the biggest recipients. Go do some of your own research, trust me, its good for you.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/
Very poor evaluation. They establish "dependency" in a loose manner. Read the commenter's responses, they pretty much sum up the problem with this study and how by properly evaluating the data, the results are different and misleading.

The issue is not "states", rather it is cities. Most "states" regardless of red or blue have liberal cities. Our discussion was over liberal policies causing issues and it stands to the fact that these issues are in the cities, to which your slid show does not delve into. For instance, they do specify the populations themselves, who they are, what cities they are located in, etc... Texas having as much as it has is not a surprise as Texas has a very large influx of illegals who are on public assistance, this seems consistent as CA also has an extremely high number as well, yet as I said, since the information does not go into any specific means of evaluation, it is rather useless to any real conclusion such as you are making

Same problem here, useless statistics to which the conclusions you are making are not supported by a proper evaluation of the data.

Basically, politically driven statistical claims. The data does not support your premise.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:00 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It's cheaper to house the homeless than it is to let them live on the streets. It's also the humane thing to do.
Too many are so ignorant about the costs of having one homeless person on our streets. National average: $42,500 a year. About the same cost to taxpayers if you put them in prison: $40-50k a year!

Old 04-14-2017, 11:16 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Very poor evaluation. They establish "dependency" in a loose manner. Read the commenter's responses, they pretty much sum up the problem with this study and how by properly evaluating the data, the results are different and misleading.

The issue is not "states", rather it is cities. Most "states" regardless of red or blue have liberal cities. Our discussion was over liberal policies causing issues and it stands to the fact that these issues are in the cities, to which your slid show does not delve into. For instance, they do specify the populations themselves, who they are, what cities they are located in, etc... Texas having as much as it has is not a surprise as Texas has a very large influx of illegals who are on public assistance, this seems consistent as CA also has an extremely high number as well, yet as I said, since the information does not go into any specific means of evaluation, it is rather useless to any real conclusion such as you are making

Same problem here, useless statistics to which the conclusions you are making are not supported by a proper evaluation of the data.

Basically, politically driven statistical claims. The data does not support your premise.
Jeez, just go do some research. No matter the variables, they all come to a similar conclusion, unless you think all of are wrong in some way due to not aligning with your personal beliefs.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:23 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
$500,000.00 for each Tomahawk missile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies