Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 10:17 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times

Advertisements

You insulted me gimme money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 10:20 AM

1,323 posts, read 588,187 times
I don't know whether the incident is grounds for a lawsuit, especially if there was no ill intent. People say things sometimes without thinking.

My son was a preemie and spent several weeks in the NICU. During his discharge, which is a long process, one of his nurses asked us if needed our WIC papers. My husband asked him what that was and in the moment I thought he was referring to some medical term, but I noticed how quickly the nurse looked down at the floor and waved off the comment under his breath. He seemed embarrassed to me. A bit later, I brought it up to my husband who honestly didn't know what WIC is and realized the nurse was asking us if we needed government assistance and realized his mistake.

Was I offended? No, not really. Statistically, lower-income women of color have higher rates of premature birth. This was in Atlanta with a higher population of minorities, so it safe to say that a good portion of the other patients were applying for WIC. I'm not white, ergo, the nurse's question.

How was he to know my income? It wasn't like I was waltzing into the NICU dressed to the nines and I looked like I had been beaten daily with a muddy stick. Some things just need to be ignored.

Last edited by kajo13; 04-14-2017 at 11:06 AM..

Old 04-14-2017, 10:26 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You say thin skinned, I say a woman sick and tired of society making prejudgments on her because of her race.
you are making assumptions here. we dont know the cashiers side of the story, only the customers, so we cant get a true reading on the situation.

is it possible that the cashier was being prejudiced? yes. is it also possible that the cashier was just following store policy? yes.

as for the customer, is it possible that she was feeling constant discrimination like you suggest, and that she is tired of it? yes. is it also possible that she is seeing discrimination everywhere, whether it is there or not? yes. how do i know? i have dealt with people like that many times. for instance when i checked people into the hotel i was working at, we had to get authorization on checks and credit cards before accepting them as payments. one night i was checking in a black lady, and when i went to check her credit card, the reader came back with call, meaning before i could get authorization i had to call the credit card company, so i did. i was accused of being racist because i was checking her card. now if anyone actually knew me, they would realize i dont give a damned about skin color. you could be green with purple polka dots for all i care. character is far more important to me.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:29 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you are making assumptions here. we dont know the cashiers side of the story, only the customers, so we cant get a true reading on the situation.

is it possible that the cashier was being prejudiced? yes. is it also possible that the cashier was just following store policy? yes.

as for the customer, is it possible that she was feeling constant discrimination like you suggest, and that she is tired of it? yes. is it also possible that she is seeing discrimination everywhere, whether it is there or not? yes. how do i know? i have dealt with people like that many times. for instance when i checked people into the hotel i was working at, we had to get authorization on checks and credit cards before accepting them as payments. one night i was checking in a black lady, and when i went to check her credit card, the reader came back with call, meaning before i could get authorization i had to call the credit card company, so i did. i was accused of being racist because i was checking her card. now if anyone actually knew me, they would realize i dont give a damned about skin color. you could be green with purple polka dots for all i care. character is far more important to me.
Did you read the article? The store admitted the clerk was wrong.

I'm white. I highly doubt the clerk would've asked me that question in that neighborhood.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:42 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Most people would just have laughed it off.
Cashiers push different buttons depending whether its debt, credit, or EBT.
I've seen the reverse where they assume better dressed people aren't on EBT, push the wrong button, and the customer has to whisper EBT & have it re-scanned.
A cashier can push all the buttons they want , just never push customer's buttons , then they have alot to answer for.

IMO the cashier was trying to one up the customer by inquiring if she wanted to pay by food stamps. Maybe feeling they could better about their own station in life by looking down on others. Cashiers are human afterall and can make mistakes of judgement in the hope of gaining some satisfaction from bucking the system and taking a chance here and there. Come on now, you never make assumptions about a customer no matter what they look like. Keep it to yourself and keep it out of the workplace. The employee crossed that line and should be put on extended probation at work or I do believe termination is also appropriate.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:44 AM

19,825 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:

I'm white. I highly doubt the clerk would've asked me that question in that neighborhood.
She spoke with three different supervisors/managers including the regional manager. She was told by the managers " that the clerk had done nothing wrong and was simply trying to give her free bags, because those using food stamps don't have to pay for reusable plastic bags. "

" A follow up letter sent by a Safeway claims examiner to Harris on March 24, the same day she talked to Foss, states: " please be advised that we've completed our investigation and determined there's no liability on the store. I acknowledge your allegation of emotional distress and would be willing to offer a customer service gesture of $500. ... Failing to accept the customer service gesture will be construed as a rejection and will result in a formal denial of this claim as there has been no evidence of discrimination or racial profiling."

Old 04-14-2017, 10:45 AM

17,358 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:

I've read the article 3 times and I've not read where, 1., the clerk assumed because she was black that she was paying with food stamps and 2., where the store said the clerk was wrong.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:45 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Most people would just have laughed it off.
Cashiers push different buttons depending whether its debt, credit, or EBT.
I've seen the reverse where they assume better dressed people aren't on EBT, push the wrong button, and the customer has to whisper EBT & have it re-scanned.
Exactly and it's what's wrong with this country. Most people have little or no sense of humor.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:53 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

My family has several stores in the shopping malls, and i know this to be true: Customers are not always right and SOME believe just because they gave you a $80 business, they are your God.

In retail business, you have to deal with all types of people, so I believe consistency is the key. Treat everybody exactly the same.

What you have described, I have had the similar experiences. Some people see discrimination in every situation, such people exist.

In this particular case (op), assuming a person is on food stamp is always wrong. Discrimination, however, is hard to prove. I am not saying this is not discrimination, I am saying it is hard to prove in court.

I agree with your entire post, by the way.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:56 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco
IMO the cashier was trying to one up the customer by inquiring if she wanted to pay by food stamps. Maybe feeling they could better about their own station in life by looking down on others.
I doubt it. The cashier was just trying be helpful, an innocent question, and didn't mean anything by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies