Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
This was of course yet one more in an endless stream of mindless barbarity and savagery. While the gunman was shot and killed it will of course not be the last bit of retaliation that is the perpetual cycle of violence in the Middle East.

As this post from the OP points out how it makes a person sick that people would celebrate such horrendous acts....

While many will also be rightly sickened and condemn this terrible act, no one will condemn the celebration that will follow the retaliation that WILL occur. From the same Yahoo article:

So when terrorist, suspected terrorist, civilian men, women, and children are killed in the upcoming retaliation, will you all be so sickened at the inhumanity of it all or will you too celebrate the death of a few more Arabs?

I guess you will have to celebrate since we all help to fund both sides of this barbarous inhumanity with out tax dollars. Time to end funding and subsidizing of this never ending madness and senseless waste of life.
Given Israel's history for over kill I pity the innocent citizens who are about to get slaughtered. Yet another city block about to be destroyed. No I won't celebrate. All parties involved disgust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 06:24 PM

316 posts, read 595,974 times
Default I Must Commend You - Halfway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Yeledaf comments:
"What I have trouble understanding is what it is about Israel that provides the reason for so many on this forum to hate them."

I think you and many others misunderstand the feelings that many people harbor towards the Israelis. But let me not presume to speak for others. I'll speak only for
myself. I was raised in a northern city where Jews were numerous and prominent members of the community. Many of my grade school and family friends were Jewish. My sister and I regularly washed dishes for our neighbors after seder dinners. My Girl Scout Troop and art class met at the neighborhood synagogue. In other words we were very involved with the Jewish community. I was once almost engaged to a Jewish fellow. 0ur religions, mine Catholic and his Jewish, had nothing to do with our eventual breakup. In grad school three of my five roommates were Jewish. When I became a teacher my all time favorite student was an Israeli girl who was an anti-tank missile instructor in the Israeli army. During the course of these years, I had no doubts about the validity of Israel's claim to the land on both the right and the left banks of the Jordan. It was not until I began to study history that I came to realize that there were a lot of historical inaccuracies in this claim. As time went on and I became a mature woman with children, I began to try to discuss my historical problems with my friends. I got nowhere. The bottom line was always that the God of Israel had given the land to his chosen people, the Jews. These people had suffered persecution over the centuries - a persecution which had terminated in the Holocaust. They, in 1948, deserved to be given a safe refuge. The fact that the Palestinians had been living in this land for centuries and had not participated in the Holocaust made no difference to the Zionists who had been able to convince the British to partition Palestine by means of the Balfour Declaration of 1917. Finally in 1948, the UN ratified the actual partition of the Palestinian state. There was to be a geographic partition of the two nations with an economic union. The rest of this sad tale, of course, we all know. The terrorist groups Irgun (led by Menchem Begin) and the Stern Gang terrorized the Palestinians as in the case of the slaughter of 100 (mostly women and children) Palestiniansin the village of Deir Yassin. The Palestinians fled their land many living to this day in refugee camps throughout the Mideast.

This is a lengthy tale whose outcome is known by most of us. At the beginning of my post I quote Yeledaf as saying that he does not understand why so many on this forum hate Israel. Given the way the way the country was established, this should not be too difficult to understand. And, of course, what started as a terrorist country continues to be a government sanctioned terrorist state. I personally do not hate Israelis - though I believe that some do. But I do not understand how a country with such a highly educated citizenry can not see what must be done to right the wrongs that their ancestors committed in recent history. For this arrogance and lack of compassion, I find them extremely culpable. Furthermore, I understand the frustration and the extreme anger of the hopeless Palestinians.
It was very kind of you to help a religious family who could not do certain tasks on their Holiday! Commendable!

As far as your research regarding the Israeli claim to the land, I would like to ask you the following question - one of many - that might help you with your "adult mature motherly understanding of the conflict!"

As an individual with a degree in American History - and someone who from early childhood has been indoctrinate with religious faith and belief, I would like to know the following.

From the mid- 18th century onwards all the newcomers, without labeling them, drove many American Indians westward. After the United States became a legitimate and sovereign nation it "nationalized" it's land - and continuously expanded - through the central and southern parts of the country - eventually, as we have to day, the continental United States.

The Louisiana Purchase - in 1803 from France for 15 million dollars - now whatever gave the right to France to sellout the Indians living there for eons? At least five Indian nations?

There were a whole bunch of land aquisitions that most never heard of: Like- say West Florida, or the Red River Basin, or the Adams-Onis treaty - for most of Florida.

Lets talk about Texas... now that trully belonged to Mexico.
Let's say Mexico wants it back. Suddenly they start firing these missiles into Dallas and Houston, and then start shooting up schools... then train and educate all of their children to HATE Americans for taking away Texas... I suppose you, a Mature Grown Woman with children, will certainly see their perspective... Can you please explain it to me?

How about Alaska. It is very nice that the United States bought it from Russia in 1867 for 7.2 million, or 2 cents an acre. Now what ever gave Russia the right to sell Alaska and her million Aboriginal and Indian population?

How can America honestly lay claim to Alaska?

Awaiting a REAL answer.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:33 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I have never seen other people dancing in the streets other than muslims. Even after 9/11 they were dancing in The Netherlands. Discusting! How any mother, family can be happy if their son/daughter blows them selfs up, I don't get it. This is an evil mind set and hard to fight against. If you believe in death rather than live, than you don't belong here and please leave without harming anybody else, or live on a island far far away. Israel should strike back after every atck and destroy the families homes that is maybe cruel but might keep others from doing the same. If not their even more stupid than I thought. Maybe an education and some work to keep them busy can help, but they rather do nothing and learn how to blow them self up.........

Old 03-08-2008, 09:14 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by bentlebee
Quote:
Even after 9/11 they were dancing in The Netherlands. Discusting!
Well if you are being accused of being retarded by some Dutch politicians, you might as well act like one since you're being called retarded even when you don't dance on the streets. Before 9/11 the Muslims (being non-Christian immigrants) where damned if they did and damned if they didn't dance on the streets.

Anywayz, the Dutch government have always stood on the side of Israel (even in the 70's when we got hit by the boycott of the Islamic oil producing countries for supporting Israel) but nowadays, since the building of the wall our support might not be as self evident as it was in the past.
We just don't believe that building a wall is the answer.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:19 PM

44 posts, read 75,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Nowhere else in the world do I see, or the media portrays anyway, this sort of barbaric inhumanity. Even after terrorists bomb railways, or restaurants in Europe, I don't recall any footage of people dancing in the streets. To give them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they have a coach in the sidelines having them stage this glee-fest on threat of harm. Still, watching footage of this tongue sticking people make me sick to my stomach at the celebration over death. Have not seen anything similar in Ireland, Kosovo, Darfur, or Cambodia for that matter.
i guess you missed the residents of sedroit, israel urging their troops to continue the slaughter of civilians in gaza. it is easy, google it.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:28 PM

Default We??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
We just don't believe that building a wall is the answer.
OH HIGH AND MIGHTY ONE... PLEASE ADVISE US ALL WHOM YOU REFER TO AS "WE"

Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 PM

Default Curious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisjustice View Post
i guess you missed the residents of sedroit, israel urging their troops to continue the slaughter of civilians in gaza. it is easy, google it.
I'm curious- do you mind posting the link... As nothing seems to be coming up!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by RABBI JOE
Quote:
OH HIGH AND MIGHTY ONE... PLEASE ADVISE US ALL WHOM YOU REFER TO AS "WE"
Us, the Dutch and our government.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:41 PM

Default I'm Sorry Your Highness...

I did not know with whom I was corresponding-
Well I suppose it is rather fantastic then that the Israeli government can decide things that you do not agree with at all.... So voice your opinions all you want as it has no bearings to reality!

Old 03-08-2008, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by RABBI JOE
Quote:
Well I suppose it is rather fantastic then that the Israeli government can decide things that you do not agree with at all.... So voice your opinions all you want as it has no bearings to reality!
You calling me your highness has no bearing on reality (since I'm not a king, nor do I claim to be one).
But I don't mind being addressed with your highness, so I'll allow you to continue to do so.
It sure is good to be (called a) king.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies