Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 04:11 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,050 times

Advertisements

American Muslim here. The two communities are quite a bit different in a lot of ways. Notably that as some other posters mentioned, European Muslim communities tend to be much more impoverished, insulated and come from a very wide spectrum and range of education/income levels. Their migrations to Europe were done so in similar ways to how Latin Americans migrate to the US...through underground railroads, secret passages, boats, corrupt customs officials, people traffickers, etc...

American Muslims, for the most part, come from H1B and student visa holders, their descendants, as well as large groups of converts. According to Pew Research they have higher incomes/education and commit less crimes than other Americans. Also they are a much-much smaller percentage of the population than European communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 04:15 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
If the Muslims here were mainstream they wouldn't let their kids get radicalized.

Just like these guys' parents?

Old 04-14-2017, 05:10 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
If you can believe this, the United States has only accepted 900,000 Muslim refugees into this country since 9/11. Even after we started a disastrous war in Iraq that split this country apart we have still only accepted 900,000 Muslim refugees into the U.S..

Of those 900,000, not a single one has perpetrated an act of terrorism.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:36 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
If the Muslims here were mainstream they wouldn't let their kids get radicalized.

Uh, a Hell of a lot more white, black, and Hispanic kids turn out bad than the few Muslims who have been "radicalized". Just watch your local news tonight and see who is out there doing criminal acts......bet there aren't too many Muslims in that bunch.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:48 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I grew up with many Muslims, went to school with them...from kindergarten through 12th grade. Both middle-eastern Muslims and African Muslims. They're people just like everyone else. They were on my football team, a few muslim kids played in concert band with me my freshman year.

Most Americans that are not tolerant of Muslims are rural people that have never been around them. Many urban/suburban Americans that live in bigger cities are probably in close proximity to Muslims one way or another (sit next to them on the train, walk past them downtown, behind them in like at Starbucks, etc) and realize that most people are just people.

The rural Americans that want to "take their country back" and MAGA have probably never been around or talked to a Muslim person in their entire life. And they believe the crazy Muslim propaganda that conservative nut-job talk show hosts feed them.
Replace Muslim with Hispanic, Black, Puerto Rican, Asian, etc and it's the same story. Like you said, it's largely from people who have had very limited (if any) personal contact with ethnic/racial/religious minorities. The only thing they know about them is what they hear on FOX News or YouTube, or read on Breitbart.

Ive often stated that going to community college and my family buying a vacation/second home in Puerto Rico drastically improved my views of minorities. It turned me from what would today be called Alt-Right into a moderate, pragmatic, center-right Republican.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:56 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Replace Muslim with Hispanic, Black, Puerto Rican, Asian, etc and it's the same story. Like you said, it's largely from people who have had very limited (if any) personal contact with ethnic/racial/religious minorities. The only thing they know about them is what they hear on FOX News or YouTube, or read on Breitbart.

Ive often stated that going to community college and my family buying a vacation/second home in Puerto Rico drastically improved my views of minorities. It turned me from what would today be called Alt-Right into a moderate, pragmatic, center-right Republican.
That's an awesome story. The value of experiencing others can not be understated.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:24 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
That's an awesome story. The value of experiencing others can not be understated.
I agree. Thanks for sharing, WIHS.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:27 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

I have a white guy friend who lives in a non-white neighborhood. His opinions about CERTAIN minorities have changed to the worse.

I personally view everybody as an individual. It is easy for me because I am mixed myself. Race is not as important to me as it is to a lot of other people.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:07 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
yes, I think American Muslims are far different than European Muslims.

The vast majority of Muslim immigrants to the US are good skilled people and are well integrated.

Europe on the other hand can be reached by boat or even on foot, and their politically correct politicians are reluctant to deport even illegal ones who have committed serious crimes. They are also more welcoming of economic migrants and refugees - while not all of them are bad people, many are just not skilled and will likely end up angry and disenfranchised, leading to crime and extremism.

I don't worry about the American Muslims at all.
Where are you getting this stuff? The C.A.I.R affiliates on our college campuses spew hate against Jews on a regular basis. Much of Dearbornistan in Michigan is practically a no-go zone for non-Muslims. Muslims in the US have not assimilated.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:12 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Where are you getting this stuff? The C.A.I.R affiliates on our college campuses spew hate against Jews on a regular basis. Much of Dearbornistan in Michigan is practically a no-go zone for non-Muslims. Muslims in the US have not assimilated.
Why do you only single me out?

This is absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies