Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 05:54 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Roofs are structural and are known to fail. And it can be devastating. Just not very likely.

Most would presume a rotating restaurant is safe. We took my mother to one on her 80th birthday with no fear and we ran her wheel chair on the turntable and it did not bite us. And we took no preparation we would have not taken in any restaurant...and that was making sure we could get to it with a wheel chair.
I will be the very first to admit that I'm not mechanically inclined.

But I can remember eating at a moving restaurant at . . Disney (maybe)? I can't remember where now. It never once occurred to me that anyone could get crushed . . . I still cannot picture how this happened.

But had I not heard of this incident - it would not be something that occurred to me when taking my child to an exiting (for a child) moving restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 05:55 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Children that drown generally are unsupervised though not always. Familiar with one case when mom was sitting in a pool supervising and a kid drowned almost at her feet.
What makes you think that child was adequately supervised?

Quote:
But there is no indication whatsoever this kid at Sundial was unsupervised.
The officer said both that he was wandering around the restaurant and had lost sight of his parents. Which means they couldn't see him, either.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What makes you think that child was adequately supervised?

The officer said both that he was wandering around the restaurant and had lost sight of his parents. Which means they couldn't see him, either.
Same officer also said 4-5 feet away so . . . do we really know?

Old 04-16-2017, 06:00 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I will be the very first to admit that I'm not mechanically inclined.

But I can remember eating at a moving restaurant at . . Disney (maybe)? I can't remember where now. It never once occurred to me that anyone could get crushed . . . I still cannot picture how this happened.
See this. It becomes pretty clear what could have happened. I changed my mind over what I said earlier. That is obviously a bad design if what I said is true.

Looks like they changed the design from an earlier version of the chairs (I posted that later) where the spaces were filled in.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Same officer also said 4-5 feet away so . . . do we really know?
That could be when they were trying to get him out. Prior to that, the officer said the boy was wandering the restaurant and lost sight of his parents.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
See this. It becomes pretty clear what could have happened. I changed my mind over what I said earlier. That is obviously a bad design if what I said is true.

Looks like they changed the design from an earlier version of the chairs (I posted that later) where the spaces were filled in.
So again, where did he get caught? At the window? Or behind a booth?

Old 04-16-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

Thanks for the visual. I hadn't a clue.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:08 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That could be when they were trying to get him out. Prior to that, the officer said the boy was wandering the restaurant and lost sight of his parents.
There is absolutely no way the officer can know that...kids with crushed skulls don't talk. And the distance from where the parents were to where this likely happened is a few feet in a virtually empty restaurant. And it had clean sight lines.

So the cop is supposing. And what he supposes is not in keeping with the configuration.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
There is absolutely no way the officer can know that...kids with crushed skulls don't talk. And the distance from where the parents were to where this likely happened is a few feet in a virtually empty restaurant. And it had clean sight lines.

So the cop is supposing. And what he supposes is not in keeping with the configuration.
I'm sure he interviewed witnesses, and that's what they said. You know, the same people who tried to help free the boy.

I also read an article that said his parents were sitting at a window table. If the boy got stuck behind a booth, that would have been behind them somewhere and out of their sight. I'll look for a link.

Here it is:
Quote:
"The family was at a window seat when Holt wandered away from the table."
http://wncn.com/2017/04/16/nc-parent...ng-restaurant/

Old 04-16-2017, 06:45 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Again your post makes no sense. When my kids learned to swim we had no pool and the likely swimming actions would be at public beaches open and attended by all.

I would however note that a vast number of drownings occur at residential pools. So the children of owners and guests. We lose a few here each year at Lake Mead though those are majority adults and often involve alcohol or stupid adult tricks. The big number however is children in a residential pool. Public pool deaths are rare. So it is the child of the pool owner who is at risk.

Using reasonable public resources and teaching yourself learning to swim can be a very cheap to free activity. In fact it is a little shocking that it is not the poor unpooled who die...it is the children or grandchildren of pool owners.

I am still unable to buy into the drownings being in some way similar to the rotating restaurant death. I can see substantial neglect of reasonable safety precautions in the drownings. I see no call for special safety precaution in a restaurant rotating or other. And a kid can get run into by a fast moving server and get hurt or killed. Then again that can happen of a street. Thirty five years ago a kid darted into my wife and I walking fast along a public street and we both ended up going down on the kid. Nobody was hurt but it could easily have gone the other way.
For God's Sake, stop hijacking this thread. It isn't about drowning and it isn't about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies