Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 05:53 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They are just ticked off that most music store geeks now are middle aged white men, the group they hate the most. Can't let them have anything.
Hey, this white woman disagrees. I and every other person, white, black, and yellow, shopped in music stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 04:35 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
It's because privilege is an argument for dismantling privilege, especially of predominantly white minority groups.

It is an argument that because I am white, the mexican restaurants, mercados, and taquerias should be closed and music groups who sing music culturally significant to me should not be booked, catholic churches should be forced to disband and lose their first amendment protection, all because each caters to a privileged white culture, even if that particular white culture is significantly less politically and economically powerful than cultures connected to non-white races and ethnicities.
Is that what anyone is saying? Really? That's not how I see their POV at all.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:42 AM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So you are saying all white people are like Hillary Clinton.
Clearly not.

I am saying that bigots like Hillary Clinton exist. The soft bigotry of low expectations is still bigotry.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:43 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
It's because privilege is an argument for dismantling privilege, especially of predominantly white minority groups.

It is an argument that because I am white, the mexican restaurants, mercados, and taquerias should be closed and music groups who sing music culturally significant to me should not be booked, catholic churches should be forced to disband and lose their first amendment protection, all because each caters to a privileged white culture, even if that particular white culture is significantly less politically and economically powerful than cultures connected to non-white races and ethnicities.
That is ridiculous.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:13 AM

36,524 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Clearly not.

I am saying that bigots like Hillary Clinton exist. The soft bigotry of low expectations is still bigotry.
Is there some reason you would believe bigotry had been eradicated from all humankind? There is and will continue to be bigotry within all races and cultures.
It sounds like you are saying because a few white people are bigots and joke about an entire race then all white people must be bigots or bear the burden of white privilege. Is this not judging all white people on the behavior of a few just as whites are being accused of judging all black people on the behavior of a few?

Old 04-18-2017, 07:28 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Is that what anyone is saying? Really? That's not how I see their POV at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That is ridiculous.

Go back and read some of the papers of the White Privilege conference. "Dismanting" is a constant topic, and more often than not, it specifically talks of dismantling the cultural prevalence of minority white ethnic and socioeconomic groups, e.g. a divide-and-conquer strategy that inevitably dismantled the white privilege of the politically and economically weakest groups first.
Or, if you feel lazier, just google "dismantle white privilege" and start browsing.

This is an older article, but a seminal work on the concept of the binary paradigm:
http://scholarship.law.berkeley.edu/...ornialawreview
(Or http://scholarship.law.berkeley.edu/.../vol85/iss5/3/ if that link fails)

The concept of white privilege (which was already a ten year old concept at the time of the article) exists within and extends this paradigm.
Just as it has introduced bitter fights over intersectionality among feminist groups, like the fight that happened within the leadership of the Women's March, it is also being used as a weapon against white Hispanics both within social activism and within anti-racist socio-economic activities.
(It even has its own academic name, light skin latinx privilege.)

Last edited by marigolds6; 04-18-2017 at 07:45 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 07:30 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
Can we stop with the White Privilege thing already? Yes, I do believe it exists.

But if I was white, I'd be getting tired of it always being thrown in my face all the time. Just let it be.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 AM

19,624 posts, read 12,218,208 times
As far as hair salons, black hair is a specialty and every hair stylist does not know how to deal with it. So yes you need to know where to go if you want it done right. I'm not sure I attach this to privilege or lack of. It's about the market and where you live.
I am finding the beauty industry in many areas is being dominated by immigrants.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:28 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Well, examples abound of police doing the wrong thing to a black male when they don't to a white male.

Is that because police don't violate the rights of whites or because the violation of the rights of blacks is a better news story?

(UPDATED 10 p.m.) WOODHAVEN: Police shoot, kill shoplifter at Walmart (VIDEO) | News | thenewsherald.com

Pretty sure this would have been a national story if the shoplifter were black.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:55 AM

36,524 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
As far as hair salons, black hair is a specialty and every hair stylist does not know how to deal with it. So yes you need to know where to go if you want it done right. I'm not sure I attach this to privilege or lack of. It's about the market and where you live.
I am finding the beauty industry in many areas is being dominated by immigrants.
Well to be honest there are lots of stylists who cant deal with white people hair either. I've gotten so many messed up hair cuts from both white and black stylists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies