Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:13 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,336,261 times

Advertisements

It sounds like a bunch of young republicans and YAF caved in out of fear of violence from the far left. Pretty wimpy response from these campus conservatives but pretty typical of the cowardice of mainstream conservatives. The alt right, real right wing would never have willingly caved in to these left wing crybabies.

Another great day for leftists , another safe space for leftists on campus free from dissenting ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 12:18 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,585,751 times
Actually she was given alternative dates to speak her venom and she rejected them. It's on her not the college. She had a chance to exercise her right but she rejected it.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,566,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Actually she was given alternative dates to speak her venom and she rejected them. It's on her not the college. She had a chance to exercise her right but she rejected it.
And THEN - they gave her back her original date and she's still backing out.

That Ann, she's all about her principles.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:25 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,284,544 times
It's how you know you're a dinosaur.

I'm only 42 but when I was in college, when there was somebody scheduled to speak who we didn't want to hear, we...... didn't go.

Or, sometimes, if there was someone scheduled to speak who we didn't agree with we...... might have gone to hear their point of view so as to challenge our own assumptions and the strength of our own convictions and maybe, however briefly, see things from a different perspective, start a dialogue, and get exposed to a diverse range of thoughts.

I know, all that is crazy talk here in 2017...

Old 04-26-2017, 12:40 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,336,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post

I'm only 42 but when I was in college, when there was somebody scheduled to speak who we didn't want to hear, we...... didn't go.

Or, sometimes, if there was someone scheduled to speak who we didn't agree with we...... might have gone to hear their point of view so as to challenge our own assumptions and the strength of our own convictions and maybe, however briefly, see things from a different perspective, start a dialogue, and get exposed to a diverse range of thoughts.

Good post.

Academia is basically a huge safe space for leftists, but ann coulter didnt cancel the speech, her sponsors, the sissies in the young republicans and yaf pulled out and didnt support her. Basically leftists whine and cry and threaten riots over differences of opinion and dissent and they get their way.

Mainstream republicans and conservatives are pathetic, the sooner the alt right/far right and a real right wing party replaces republicans the better

Old 04-26-2017, 12:44 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,284,461 times
She got her headlines. That's what she was after. There is no story here.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:45 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,819,860 times
I was under the impression that there was a specific, credible threat against the event and they wanted to postpone it until they had sufficient safety measures in place. The school was not prepared for that kind of thing.

If that is the case I'm not sure how you can blame anyone for not wanting it to go on as scheduled.

Quote:

Eh, We're around the same age. There were protests against controversial speakers in the late 80s/early 90s as well.

Are we sure the threats came from students? I'm not sure the college can be blamed.

4,491 posts, read 2,230,351 times
Quote:

When you take university, a place for expanding the mind and becoming a thoughtful citizen, and turn it into a soulless, pragmatic jobs training program, is it really any surprise that things would get worse? Just look the OPs post. A bunch terms being flown around and essentially no real indication that he has a very firm grasp on what any of those terms mean. That is the benefit of terms like "left" and "right." They mean almost nothing. This is by design. Had he received a truly valuable liberal education (also called classical education for those of you triggered by the word liberal... not that this matters, those people probably aren't listening to what I'm saying anyway unfortunately), he might have made a stronger point because he is right in a very narrow sense. The anti-free speech movement is extremely problematic. It might not be wrong per se to call this a left wing movement (though I've seen it on both sides before), but it's essentially one tick more specific than just calling it a political movement. It tells you very little about what drives those ideas.

1,509 posts, read 1,798,572 times
Alternative dates were after school was out, at an empty campus.

The terrorists won.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:47 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,646,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
It sounds like a bunch of young republicans and YAF caved in out of fear of violence from the far left. Pretty wimpy response from these campus conservatives but pretty typical of the cowardice of mainstream conservatives. The alt right, real right wing would never have willingly caved in to these left wing crybabies.

Another great day for leftists , another safe space for leftists on campus free from dissenting ideas!
well that must be a little embarrassing for the Right wing.

Ann got what she wanted (ie free airtime to promote her book) and then she abandoned your buddies..

Berkley gave her everything she wanted, they stole her narrative and proved beyond doubt the White Wing, has no interest in talking at all, and just wants more chances to brawl and whine like babies.

Delighted to see the LEFT hand the RIGHT Proud boys/ KKK its own butt repeatedly... (hey GOP folk i don't mean you)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies