Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 07:35 PM

60 posts, read 40,934 times

Advertisements

they always say is 'Why do you hate immigrants'? They always seem to leave out the word 'illegal" in the discussion. Why is that?

Old 04-16-2017, 07:42 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,891,933 times
Because the word "illegal" makes them uncomfortable. It is a "trigger word", and they don't like it.
They prefer the word "undocumented", which, of course, is just a "nice" way of saying ILLEGAL!
Also, saying "Illegal" makes the referenced people CRIMINALS (the definition of "criminal" being "One who commits an illegal act"), and they do not wish to identify undocumented immigrants as "criminals".

Old 04-16-2017, 07:55 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,595,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiscusharry View Post
they always say is 'Why do you hate immigrants'? They always seem to leave out the word 'illegal" in the discussion. Why is that?
because they know. Each and every single one of them know, that you care not of legality one wite.

They believe your concern is centered on the very fact that they are immigrants. And they are likley correct 99 times out of one hundred. (let us assume you are the one in one hundred)

Old 04-16-2017, 08:06 PM

26,636 posts, read 28,433,148 times
Wrong. Many liberals, including myself, are against ILLEGAL immigration. We are FOR the LEGAL kind though.

So you got it wrong again.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:09 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,874,910 times
The odds are you aren't really against illegal immigration you are for pushing your politics.

If you (and others) were really wanting to stop illegal immigration you would be demanding that the government start enforcing it's laws.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:10 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,531,985 times
It's nice to know that you have discussed the issue with enough liberals to know what "they" all think.

I had a discussion a few years ago with a very conservative young woman who lived in California. The topic was immigration, legal and otherwise, and several liberals had said that we should enforce the current laws, starting with penalizing companies who hire these folks, exploiting them as a cheap source of labor, and screwing over American workers in the process.

She had an absolute fit, talking about how harmful that would be to business. You'd have thought I shot her dog or something.

There is no single reason anyone might be for or against immigration, legal or otherwise.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-17-2017 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-16-2017, 08:18 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,214,992 times
Quote:
Talking to the wrong people. I always respond me too. Then I say let us go fix it. First thing to do is reduce the problem to one that can be handled by our immigration folks.

So we reduce the illegals to a manageable number by legalizing those here until we get to the half million or so we can successfully police.

then my correspondent always say..."I thought you were against illegal immigration"? And I respond "I am". And then I get "but you want to let in 10 million". And I respond "NO I don't want to but there is no other option". And I get back "sellout".

So we simply will sit here for the next decades unable to move forward.

The good news is that the illegals will eventually die of old age. The bad news is there may be a new influx which will raise the total to 20 million or so.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:22 PM

33,747 posts, read 16,732,718 times
Quote:
Because they can't admit they simply have no regard for the rule of law. They are no different than any other criminal in that regard.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:24 PM

26,636 posts, read 28,433,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The odds are you aren't really against illegal immigration you are for pushing your politics.

If you (and others) were really wanting to stop illegal immigration you would be demanding that the government start enforcing it's laws.
If you're asking seriously, I'll answer seriously. The reason I have always been opposed to illegal immigration is, for one thing, it's ILLEGAL.

First time I ever got really mad about it was a few decades ago when a teacher friend said she was teaching ESL. Turns out she was NOT teaching them English. She was getting paid to teach them Spanish!

We're wasting tax payers' money on educating kids whose parents don't pay into the system. We are probably paying health care for some of them. We are losing jobs to them. Out in the SW, they have already taken the jobs but around here it's just starting. The landscaping jobs, roofing jobs, house cleaning jobs. An honest person can barely make a living anymore doing these things.

By getting paid illegally under the table, they get paid less than an American and they don't pay taxes either!

I am 100% against illegals. Everyone I have talked to is 100% against illegals. I don't even know any conservatives but all liberals around here come right out and tell you that the first thing that needs to be done is to get rid of illegals.

Maybe on the west coast, the people have lain down and are taking it but in this part of the country we haven't reached that point yet. How are we supposed to get rid of them? Trump doesn't seem to be doing very much about it either! Why don't you tell him?

I am FOR Legals. People who wait in line, are vetted, get medical checks, and come here lawfully. They also pay our government a lot of money in fees so they have already contributed to the country.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:30 PM

800 posts, read 505,507 times
When they first react by saying"why do you hate them??" or "Why are you so hateful and racist?" then you should already consider yourself to have won the debate before it even really began. Whenever liberals resort to attacking your moral character on this issue its a sign that they can't fight back with a rational argument.

Whenever anybody says that to me, I'll just smile smugly and know full well that my stance is the more well thought out one.

Remember, if they call you hateful or a bigot or a racist, its not some crack in your armor that they exposed, it just means you won. If you want to stay and educate them more, go for it, otherwise declare your victory and walk away, smiling. Congrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies