Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 AM

417 posts, read 345,607 times

Advertisements

If they want to provide a service for women, fine - even though it's something else students and families are forced to pay for...[/quote]

Well we are forced to pay for brand new football stadiums or a brand new gym, or a new basketball court for a small percentage of the students to use. At least this is something 50% of the student body can use. It's just coming out of the tuition cost or dorm cost. I think most logical people would see that this is a smarter thing to spend money on then other things. And it will genuinely help students. I don't know how a new basketball court that I can't use but pay for helps me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 06:50 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The boyfriend can put them in their wallet or pocket if that's such a concern. Put them in the glove box of your car.

Somehow relationships have survived without a man running in the restroom to get a spare.

What are women going to do if they are out in the men's restroom after T-310 has thrown them all in the trash? The same thing that has been done for the first 240 years of this country's existence.

This is ridiculous.
I'm with you. How has this become a concern. Thirty years of menstruating and I never had a tampon shortage. Women use to keep that emergency product in their purse (they even make special little tampon holders), they would borrow from a friend or get one out of a pay machine. Heck after menopause I was finding plugs stashed all over the place for years.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:03 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm with you. How has this become a concern. Thirty years of menstruating and I never had a tampon shortage. Women use to keep that emergency product in their purse (they even make special little tampon holders), they would borrow from a friend or get one out of a pay machine. Heck after menopause I was finding plugs stashed all over the place for years.
Always hated those pay machines because they're never stocked. And ya never know until you put your money in. In all my years, I don't think I've ever seen or used one that was actually stocked with products. When I was younger (16?) and more innocent to the ways of the world, I had the "audacity" to ask a manager at a movie theater about having one restocked.

It's not really a concern persay. Just a "hey, a basket of courtesy menstrual products would make for a great nicety."

Old 04-18-2017, 08:04 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Judging from the replies on this thread, I think it's a mistake to assume that PMS is limited to women.

Making these products available is a courtesy. I think of it as being along the same lines as keeping the bathrooms well-stocked with toilet paper, hand soap, and paper towels.

As for keeping them in the men's room, well, even if a trans man never needs them in there, just think, guys: you can be a hero by fetching one for your wife or girlfriend when they run out in the ladies' room. Yay, you, you big hunk! Even if you never need to do this, I can assure you, the sight of a wall dispenser is not going to make you impotent, so just relax, okay?
Seriously!

There are bathrooms outside of the US where it isn't taken for granted that toilet paper should be free, either. In places where it isn't given free, you either carry it around in your purse or pay for a few squares on your way in, similar to the way we typically handle tampons now. I think we can all agree that while this is totally doable (although maybe a bit trickier for men, who don't generally carry a purse), it is much nicer to have free access to a roll in the stall. Similarly, it is totally possible to carry a tampon or pad around just in case, but I've certainly appreciated a basket of free tampons in the bathroom in an emergency before.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:56 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Can they not afford to buy their own tampons?

College students+free tampons=the possibilities are endless.

Do you carry your own toilet paper to work, school, or public restrooms, or can you not afford it?

Old 04-18-2017, 09:01 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post

It's not really a concern persay. Just a "hey, a basket of courtesy menstrual products would make for a great nicety."
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Seriously!

but I've certainly appreciated a basket of free tampons in the bathroom in an emergency before.
Yes its a nicety if your a menstruating female who forgot to carry your products while away from home, but at the taxpayers expense or other students expense? A mint would be nice too, some dental floss just in case I have something stuck in my teeth, some hand lotion maybe, feminine hygiene spray if I'm not feeling exactly springtime fresh, a complimentary tube of jock itch ointment and monkey butt powder for the dudes.
I almost feel its yet another step in removing ones personal responsibility. Some of these college students now cant address an envelope, balance a checkbook, write a resume or file a tax return.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
I don't really have strong feelings on this, so please don't jump down my throat. Just thought I'd post this.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Transgender men.

Considering the cost of a full hysterectomy, it's very unlikely that a transgender man who is a full-time college would be able to afford one. So slight hormonal fluctuations can (and do) sometimes lead to a transgender man having a menstrual cycle.

Fairly simple concept.

And really not that expensive to have a small amount present.
That and women who wind up needing to go and the men's room being unoccupied, so they use it.

Which has happened for AGES on college campuses.

Most college kids aren't as hung up on this crap as old people are.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Yes its a nicety if your a menstruating female who forgot to carry your products while away from home, but at the taxpayers expense or other students expense? A mint would be nice too, some dental floss just in case I have something stuck in my teeth, some hand lotion maybe, feminine hygiene spray if I'm not feeling exactly springtime fresh, a complimentary tube of jock itch ointment and monkey butt powder for the dudes.
I almost feel its yet another step in removing ones personal responsibility. Some of these college students now cant address an envelope, balance a checkbook, write a resume or file a tax return.
Major corporations often provide tampons, maxi pads, etc in restrooms.

Big deal.

It's a courtesy. Does anyone want the menstruating members of society to walk around with bloody pants?

Sheesh.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:25 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I can understand disagreeing with the decision. I cannot for the life of me see how throwing anything out is a constructive reaction.

Is being reminded of the existence of the female cycle that traumatic?
You're talking to infantile cons who haven't progressed past the 3rd grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies