Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
They'll figure it out. Probably sponsor coding academies to find talent. It's about time. Importing foreign workers is such a cop out.

Ah, you sound like the majority of Americans....aka, I'm entitled to this and that. I'm owed a job because I'm a special snowflake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I wasn't aware that H1B visas weren't being issued anymore. I have not heard that anywhere but here. I heard rumors of an executive order on H1B visas, but that's about it.
You hadn't heard it because it's a lie from the cult.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:27 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
No matter what, h1b workers are educated people with a four-year college degree. Many of them have a PhD from a US university.
Shutting the door off actually prevents high quality immigrants from coming to the US. Many of them will then choose to work in Canada, Europe and Asia.

Americans like to blame others for all problems. Blame China, blame India, blame Mexico. It's ok as a political strategy, but I hope people also see it through.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:29 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Just a thought. If you are for the free market and being the master of your own destiny then was is the problem with h1bs? We often hear about how bad American

unions are bad for business. But is denying foreign workers another form of a union?

It seems the right is against internal unions but not external ones. Peculiar ideology.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:09 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
No matter what, h1b workers are educated people with a four-year college degree. Many of them have m a US university.
Shutting the door off actually prevents high quality immigrants from coming to the US. Many of them will then choose to work in Canada, Europe and Asia.

Americans like to blame others for all problems. Blame China, blame India, blame Mexico. It's ok as a political strategy, but I hope people also see it through.
It isn't. I dont know where the "quality" of these h1b visa holder comes from, as I havent had one yet that could hold a candle to any of the American IT professionals that they replaced at my company over the last 10 years. When I have a series of Indian visa holders, one after the next, attempt and fail to fix a problem, and one of the few Americans we have left takes care of the issue in an hour, it doesnt take a Rocket Scientist to figure it out who is efficient and who isn't.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 PM

1,184 posts, read 720,377 times
The outsourcing companies will be affected the most. They flood the system with the most applications and pay lower salaries for lower skilled and sometimes entry level type work. These are the ones displacing americans. They don't have work for them unless they get another company to give them work. So toys r us lays off their staff and hires the outsourcing company with workers from India. The work being done by these guys are not expert or revolutionary like nuclear science or bio engineering...an american was doing the job already. This type of practice will be banned. I don't see the need to import accountants or low level IT analysts. The lottery system should change also. Google and Apple etc can pay the highest for the greatest and brightest real expert talent and not lose out to the limited number of visas to an outsourcing scammer.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:14 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
The Indian companies pay their workers in India so they can avoid paying US taxes their living expenses are deducted from their pay that way none of the money they spend here is taxable.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
It isn't. I dont know where the "quality" of these h1b visa holder comes from, as I havent had one yet that could hold a candle to any of the American IT professionals that they replaced at my company over the last 10 years. When I have a series of Indian visa holders, one after the next, attempt and fail to fix a problem, and one of the few Americans we have left takes care of the issue in an hour, it doesnt take a Rocket Scientist to figure it out who is efficient and who isn't.
I don't need to hear your biased story. There's no doubt that Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Apple have the highest bars in IT employment, much higher than your company does, and they all hire many h1b workers.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
The Indian companies pay their workers in India so they can avoid paying US taxes their living expenses are deducted from their pay that way none of the money they spend here is taxable.
Not true. Those who are physically not in the US cannot get a work visa. In fact Amazon temporarily relocates some workers to Canada when they can't get the visa.
What you described is probably outsourcing, which is not h1b visa.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:57 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I don't need to hear your biased story. There's no doubt that Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Apple have the highest bars in IT employment, much higher than your company does, and they all hire many h1b workers.
Yeah, having an H1B doesn't make anyone a good or bad engineer. You still have to do your due-diligence, but it opens up the pool to many more candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies