Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:57 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Democrats are still more interested in protecting the rights of "illegal" aliens than the hard working, tax paying American. In other words, they still don't get it. What you're going to see is the typical Democrat play.... if it didn't work the first round, they'll try to do more of it.
Even you don't believe that. You post it solely to bloster the failed Trump admin.

But i will play along for you...

"Hey petch, are you aware a person can be concerned about immigrants and our existing citizens too!""

Shocking hey, some people can be concerned about a whole array of things without missing a beat... wow!!

proof?

I have hundreds of posts supporting universal health care for the US, better stronger employment terms to protect the working stiff. paid vacation for everyone, earned based on hours worked. Better terms across the board, lower taxes for lower paid higher taxes for me.

But i also recognize that "illegals" do back breaking work and they should have protections too and a path to citizenship. They should of course have to earn it. In fact i believe perhaps a milder higher contribution to state taxes phased in based on income becoming high enough to support it without hardship.. IE a little something extra back into the state that embraced their family and educated their kids... It is just an idea and might have too many issues i have not thought through.

the ugly racist and heartless "send them back " bs hurts us in many ways, not all of them today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 11:04 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post

Very few Republicans are advocating for a path to citizenship but almost all Democrats are. That's the only distinction that matters on this issue.
Most Democrats don't know that there is already a well-established legal path to citizenship. Hundreds of thousands of legal immigrants avail themselves of it every year. Republicans, on the other hand, are universally aware of this inalterable reality. (And that's REALLY the only distinction that matters here, of course.)

Of course, your basic illegal alien who is present in the country without authorization or documentation doesn't really care about the existing legal process, one must suppose. They couldn't care too much about it, obviously; otherwise, they would not have violated immigration law as their first act as a prospective citizen of the U.S.

Given that reality, why would illegal aliens even bother with some contrived, artificial, post facto path to citizenship that is obviously secondary and inferior to the established process they have already rejected by their actions?

Old 04-18-2017, 11:09 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
They don't like white, but will accept it IF you are liberal.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:17 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Even you don't believe that. You post it solely to bloster the failed Trump admin.

But i will play along for you...

"Hey petch, are you aware a person can be concerned about immigrants and our existing citizens too!""

Shocking hey, some people can be concerned about a whole array of things without missing a beat... wow!!

proof?

I have hundreds of posts supporting universal health care for the US, better stronger employment terms to protect the working stiff. paid vacation for everyone, earned based on hours worked. Better terms across the board, lower taxes for lower paid higher taxes for me.

But i also recognize that "illegals" do back breaking work and they should have protections too and a path to citizenship. They should of course have to earn it. In fact i believe perhaps a milder higher contribution to state taxes phased in based on income becoming high enough to support it without hardship.. IE a little something extra back into the state that embraced their family and educated their kids... It is just an idea and might have too many issues i have not thought through.

the ugly racist and heartless "send them back " bs hurts us in many ways, not all of them today.

WOW!

That's ****ing awesome!

I have all those new benefits as long as my donor class/investor class employer doesn't tell the politicians he/she owns to stick it up my ass by sending this great job I now have (thanks to you) to ****ing India or China while an illegal immigrant drives the wages down for any other job I might be lucky enough to land.

FTR:

This is why Democrats have lost more than a thousand seats over the past eight years and control nothing.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:19 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Republicans conveniently ignore the fact that big business loves exploiting undocumented workers. The GOP is establishment is against immigration reform precisely because companies love having a giant underclass of workers they can pay lower than the minimum wage. Until there is a path to citizenship, you'll have undocumented workers driving down wages. Unfortunately for us, the Republican party is completely owned by corporate interests.
Yes, it is perfectly understandable why some members of the pro-business GOP would like illegal immigration.

Why does the party who claims to want to raise wages wish to increase the labor supply?

Old 04-18-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
why is it perceived that Democrats did either when both parties have the same immigration policy, one simply says to secure the border first while the other says help the people first.

also, why are only white people considered the working man ??????

and why do you only talk about Hispanic illegals ????
Working men come in all colors. Illegal labor actually disproportionately harms blacks and hispanics more since they are more likely to be low skilled workers.

It is the hispanic vote that is still somewhat in flux and large enough to determine elections.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I don't think Democrats gave up on the blue collar worker, I think the blue collar worker is just unwilling to accept that their type of jobs are no longer viable in the modern world and nobody is going to bring them back. They believed the lie that Trump would bring coal and manufacturing back, which is the only reason they voted for him instead of Democrats.
The blue collar workers have been abandoning the Democratic Party in droves long before Trump came around.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:29 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
why is it perceived that Democrats did either when both parties have the same immigration policy, one simply says to secure the border first while the other says help the people first.

also, why are only white people considered the working man ??????

and why do you only talk about Hispanic illegals ????

The poster said the Democrats are after the Hispanic vote. Guess what ethnic group is here in the largest number illegally? I don't see either party pandering to any other group with amnesty.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:30 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Republicans conveniently ignore the fact that big business loves exploiting undocumented workers.
^^^ this ^^^

The business community has taken full advantage. They are like drug pushers, giving the 'fix' of a low wage job to people who need the work yet can not complain about bad conditions. A double win for businesses and their investors.

This is an underclass American business people can freely exploit. Something like what 'Right to Work' laws try to achieve only better.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:35 AM

Illegal Aliens Depress Wages for Some in U.S. - NYTimes.com

As long ago as 1988 the NYT recognized that illegal aliens drive down wages.

Quote:
Under contracts negotiated by the Service Employees International Union, blacks and legal Hispanic immigrants working as janitors at office buildings in downtown Los Angeles had won wage and benefits reaching a peak of $12 an hour by 1983. But a group of nonunion janitorial services hiring predominantly illegal immigrants began to wrestle the best building contracts away from the unionized companies, driving the union scale back down to $4 an hour and less. Of 2,500 black janitors under high-wage contracts in 1977, 100 were still paid comparative wages by 1985.
So why does the party that claims to want to raise wages support illegal aliens increasing the supply of labor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies