Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:02 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
It doesn't bother me, I just see it as pointless.

People would mock "carry large bags of sand across a field for charity" because it serves no purpose.
I don't understand why you say it "serves no purpose".

Off the top of my head, I can think of these races/walks serving several purposes:
  • Helps keep me (and others that run it) in shape. Exercising consistently is important to a healthy life, and makes healthcare costs cheaper for everyone (less people needing healthcare for obesity/overweight-related diseases, such as diabetes and heart disease). The races by themselves don't necesarilly keep me in shape, but the goal of running in them gives me a reason to keep running/walking.
  • Gets people outside and lets them appreciate the world that we live in more (how often do we get to see 5, 13.1, or 26.2 miles of our cities/parks on feet? Running lets you do that!) - which is important in this day and age where we are more sedentary and more disconnected from the natural world than ever before
  • Promotes the sport of running, which ties into point 1
  • Provides awareness about whatever cause it is supporting (such as a disease like MS or a general cause like child abuse (the one I'm running in this weekend is this))
  • Provides funding for the cause that the race is supporting

And if people wanted to carry large bags of sand across a field, who am I to say that is wrong? Especially if it's for charity?

We play a lot of silly games as humans - I see no reason why that couldn't be one, too.

Quote:
Instead of leisurely running or walking, why not have a luncheon?
Who says people can't do that, too? I didn't realize this was an either/or thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 06:02 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
How is that on point? Eating vs exercise? Can't see where you are coming from.
Folks, I understand the point of exercise. I walk to work every day.

However, I don't understand the point of "running for cancer". How does running help cure cancer at all?

Selling things makes sense because you are providing a good for funds. That's how Boy scout popcorn, Girl scout cookies, and Christmas tree sales work. Volunteering at a homeless shelter is helping solve problems from within the homeless community.

But I really fail to see how jumping in an pool in winter, or running 10mi on Saturday has anything to do with curing cancer.

Instead of "running for the homeless" why not DO SOMETHING to help the homeless? Go work with them directly.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:04 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Folks, I understand the point of exercise. I walk to work every day.

However, I don't understand the point of "running for cancer". How does running help cure cancer at all?
Because the funds raised by the race go to cancer research.

Quote:
Selling things makes sense because you are providing a good for funds. That's how Boy scout popcorn, Girl scout cookies, and Christmas tree sales work. Volunteering at a homeless shelter is helping solve problems from within the homeless community.
And those things help their causes, too.

Quote:
But I really fail to see how jumping in an pool in winter, or running 10mi on Saturday has anything to do with curing cancer.
Because...again, the races raise funds for cancer research. And raise awareness about the disease itself.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I know many that use those walks/runs as their incentive to exercise. They have fun participating, get exercise and raise money.

So not useless for them.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:06 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
A lot of the runners and walkers will have canvased their friends and family ahead of these events to pledge a donation for each mile they do and the money collected goes to the charity. These things also tend to get a lot of media coverage and that helps remind people to give to these charities.

Agree with the poster above who says, "I can think of a lot of things to critique in life. This is not one of them." Nothing wrong with planning an event for people who both love exercise and giving to good causes. Better than sitting next to strangers at a luncheon.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:13 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
I really don't get these "walks" or "runs" for charity. What's the point? Running or walking serves almost no purpose if you aren't running or walking to actually go anywhere.

Why not "road cleanup day" or "pothole fill day" for charity?
Don't run in them, then, and let others have their fun.

Charities have different ways of raising money that appeal to different groups of people. Runs and walks are one of those methods of raising money.

Mind you own business. Donate to charity in whatever manner you see fit, and let others donate how they see fit.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Since donating to charity is a waste of money it's only fitting you're doing something with little to no benefit.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:57 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Why does there have to be goods involved to make sense? If people are willing to run and pay a registration fee to do so, it's all good. They get swag, sometimes a medal, exercise and satisfaction. If people are willing to donate for someone to jump into icy water....money is money. It still helps the charity.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:06 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Since donating to charity is a waste of money it's only fitting you're doing something with little to no benefit.
Seriously?

Old 04-19-2017, 04:14 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
This really depends on the charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies