Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 07:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Because the right fully supports sexual harassment. They're a sick group of people.
Okay, again, what constitutes sexual harassment in your opinion? Serious question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Have you asked your mom? Mom's usually have a pretty good handle on that stuff and should be able to explain it to you
Well, given that she's been DEAD since I was 8 years old nope, didn't think of that at the time. Not to mention what constitutes harassment has changed drastically since the 50's-60's.
Heck, it's changed drastically just in the last few years.

Saying he,she,him or her never used to get you in trouble but now?

Quote:
For all you folks who went to school back when there were only him and her – here’s a primer: some of the new gender neutral pronouns are ze, hir, zir, xe, xem and xyr.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.78868fa6acec

Quote:
TORONTO - The University of Toronto has slapped down a professor who openly criticized the use of gender-neutral pronouns and political correctness at the post-secondary institution. Jordan Peterson, a psychology prof, was sent a letter Tuesday that told him that he must refer to students by whatever pronoun they wish — not just ‘he’ or ‘she’ — and that he must also refrain from making public statements on the topic.
U of T prof told to use gender pronouns students want | Toronto & GTA | News | T

Quote:
Oxford University students have been urged to refer to each other using gender neutral pronouns such as “ze” instead of “he” or “she”, it has been reported. (*See update below.)

A leaflet distributed by the student union reportedly said they hoped the move would prevent transgender students feeling offended by the use of incorrect pronouns and cut down on discrimination.

Deliberately using the wrong pronoun for a transgender person is an offence under the university’s behaviour code.
Oxford University students 'told to use gender neutral pronoun ze' | The Independent

Old 04-24-2017, 08:54 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, given that she's been DEAD since I was 8 years old nope, didn't think of that at the time. Not to mention what constitutes harassment has changed drastically since the 50's-60's.

U of T prof told to use gender pronouns students want | Toronto & GTA | News | T

Oxford University students 'told to use gender neutral pronoun ze' | The Independent
Crazy, isn't it.

Harvard, an Ivy League school similar to Yale, even said in a new campus guide that gender can change daily.

Harvard officials release guide claiming that gender can change daily – TheBlaze

Figure out which pronoun to use today, but don't you use it tomorrow.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:50 AM

727 posts, read 390,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
1) We have no context here that might shed some light on what really prompted this.

2) Show me a man with no temperament and I'll show you a man with no talent.
The only context we need is to know this man was in front of a TV camera. It was a performance, an act. That's all these media TV faces are, actors, putting on a show so people will watch. Morton Downey showed the world there's big bucks in ticking people off and similar acts followed.

O'Reilly is buds with other media performers, from far right to far left, just like Hollywood actors are buds with other Hollywood actors. Their value comes in their ability to get people all worked up and one of the best ways to do that is take one side and attack the other. O'Reilly did that well.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:15 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
But the pseudo cable news channels, CNN and MSNBC, they can't possibly think that they're numbers will go up because Oreilly is gone. Oreilly largely had his ratings because nobody liked what the other guys were selling. Its like two kids on the corner, one with a lemonade stand and the other selling turnip juice. The kid stops selling lemonade but the turnip juice kid still won't see an increase in sales.
Oreilly had a radio program that I really liked. I hope he goes back to it. He had a great style and took a lot of callers and let them express their views and discussed issues with them.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:44 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChi2PG View Post
The only context we need is to know this man was in front of a TV camera. It was a performance, an act. That's all these media TV faces are, actors, putting on a show so people will watch. Morton Downey showed the world there's big bucks in ticking people off and similar acts followed.

O'Reilly is buds with other media performers, from far right to far left, just like Hollywood actors are buds with other Hollywood actors. Their value comes in their ability to get people all worked up and one of the best ways to do that is take one side and attack the other. O'Reilly did that well.
That's one possibly among many others of greater likelihood.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:08 PM

711 posts, read 932,959 times
Default A Sad Story

My view is totally non-partisan. A few things concerning sexual harassment issues.

It seems strange that when one woman complains it sets off an avalanche of complainers. What is this--a female parade to the rest room? Can't they navigate this alone either?

I would like to see some great talent restored to normal acceptance that we have lost due to the female whip of this accusation. We have lost many people of great value due to this "flaw".

The accusation and subsequent damage to the accused is very damaging, frequently exceeding that of the accuser. The accuser frequently walks away unblemished and much wealthier.

IMO we need legal change to better protect people from these civil actions. Furthermore if these moral pansies didn't care for the heat of the environment they could have stayed the H--- out of the kitchen.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:11 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Funny you mention that. O'Reilly was on our local station for about six months, this was eons ago, I don't even remember it. Anyway, my republican mom thought he was a jackass.
bingo! Moms know those things, it has nothing to do with partisan politics

Old 04-24-2017, 05:11 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
My view is totally non-partisan. A few things concerning sexual harassment issues.

It seems strange that when one woman complains it sets off an avalanche of complainers. What is this--a female parade to the rest room? Can't they navigate this alone either?

I would like to see some great talent restored to normal acceptance that we have lost due to the female whip of this accusation. We have lost many people of great value due to this "flaw".

The accusation and subsequent damage to the accused is very damaging, frequently exceeding that of the accuser. The accuser frequently walks away unblemished and much wealthier.

IMO we need legal change to better protect people from these civil actions. Furthermore if these moral pansies didn't care for the heat of the environment they could have stayed the H--- out of the kitchen.

Woman are afraid to come forward. Afraid they won't be believed. When one woman steps forward, it helps another woman who, before, was too afraid.

I take it you think O'Reilly is a moral paragon. Good for you.

IF so - why did Fox News pay over $13 million in hush money for him? Often disguised as employment payments so no one would figure out what they were doing?

Sound on the up and up to you?

Old 04-24-2017, 05:13 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, why did you act as though you didn't know and ask it as a question since it's clear you came armed with an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies