Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:30 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times

Advertisements

The Hill is now reporting that he may resign and leave office before January 2019.
Chaffetz considering early departure from Congress | TheHill

This is starting to get really interesting now. I am not sure if Louise Mensch is is 100% accurate but I do think there may be some sort of scandal (though IMO it's probably a marital affair rather than Russia related) or criminal issue. This is not normal, he was just re-elected with 70%+ of the vote and it's less than 5 months into the new congressional session. Generally speaking the only reasons to announce one is leaving this early are a sudden health issue (for himself or a family member), a criminal issue, or he was caught doing something unethical (ie: cheating on his wife). Most expected normal retirements of senators and representatives would not be announced until sometime towards the end of this year or very early next year.

Jason In The House is about to become Jason's Outta the House
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 11:52 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The Hill is now reporting that he may resign and leave office before January 2019.
Chaffetz considering early departure from Congress | TheHill
Well this is curious.

Wonder what is going on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/u...ight.html?_r=0

Old 04-20-2017, 01:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Aside from the Palmer report being questionable, if they truly had major blackmail power, why isn't he resigning? Leaving in 2 years doesn't seem like much of a threat.

Today he said - could be sooner. Hmmm.

And I have no idea of whether or not the Palmer report is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Well this is curious.

Wonder what is going on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/u...ight.html?_r=0
Ah well. Hope he can still afford that iphone!

Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Sources are reporting that Chaffetz may resign within the next 24 hours. I am thinking that he should change his Twitter handle to JasonInTheBigHouse.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:21 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Sources are reporting that Chaffetz may resign within the next 24 hours. I am thinking that he should change his Twitter handle to JasonInTheBigHouse.
What?

I thought the indictments weren't coming until next week.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:28 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
it's already starting to trend as a hashtag on Twitter, of course.

he's denying he's resigning soon but then again, so did O'Reilly....

Old 04-20-2017, 01:58 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Just saw the twitter feeds about him possibly resigning tomorrow. Something major going on. Maybe Russian involvement, or money laundering. Hopefully Ryan and McConnell go down next.

Maybe the House will flip itself blue before 2018 after all the criminal Republicans resign.

Last edited by Fiyero; 04-20-2017 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 04:31 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
Default Jason Chaffetz joining Faux News?

Apparently, he's telling his colleagues that he's joining Fox.

Quote:
According to two GOP lawmakers who have spoken to Chaffetz directly and four senior House Republican aides, Chaffetz has been telling people he’ll take on what one source calls a “substantial role” in on-air talent at Fox News Channel, possibly as early as July, amplifying whispers that Chaffetz will not finish out his current term.
Quote:
It is unclear what precise role Chaffetz may play at Fox, or if a deal has in fact been finalized. Spokespeople for Fox declined to return multiple requests for comment.
https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/0...e-republicans/

Old 05-13-2017, 04:44 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Apparently, he's telling his colleagues that he's joining Fox.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/0...e-republicans/
Judging by the number of false stories we've seen recently from the other Networks (and proven false) for which they have yet to admit are false, I think perhaps it's time to quit calling Fox "Faux News" (which isn't pronounced like "fox" anyway, but is pronounced "foe"). Fox seems to be the only network lately that can be trusted to be reporting the truth. All the others are controlled by Democrats. Do you really expect them to be unbiased and giving you the truth?

Old 05-13-2017, 05:08 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Judging by the number of false stories we've seen recently from the other Networks (and proven false) for which they have yet to admit are false, I think perhaps it's time to quit calling Fox "Faux News" (which isn't pronounced like "fox" anyway, but is pronounced "foe"). Fox seems to be the only network lately that can be trusted to be reporting the truth. All the others are controlled by Democrats. Do you really expect them to be unbiased and giving you the truth?
More than Fox, although Fox has a legit news department. They just make their money on propaganda commentary shows. Their hardcore news department isn't that different from their counterparts at the major newspapers and networks, although they can slant what they present. They're one helluva more reliable than Breitbart, Conservative Treehouse or Alex Jones. I'll give them that much. I'd trust Shep Smith for a hard news story just as much as Wolf Blitzer or Lester Holt. It's the association with the Hannity's in their stable that earned them their derisive nickname.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies