Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 02:36 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,727,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Bottom line is that if you don't get back proportional to what you pay in after the cap is raised, it isn't "raising the social security cap", it's simply increasing income tax and calling it something else.

And again, that is a bigger hit to upper middle class people than the super wealthy, who make most of their income from investments which never get touched by SS. 127K is barely middle class (lifestyle wise) in terms of household income where I live. 10% of your take home gets eaten up by property taxes in that scenario.
Exactly. It would have the biggest impact on people who already get hit the hardest. These families get no healthcare credits, lose or get reduced child tax credits, don't qualify for need based college help, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 02:36 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Fix it by letting those under a certain age opt out. Slowly phase out the program. Establish something completely different for those who are destitute and disabled.
Ha, fix it by destroying it? Right

Old 04-19-2017, 02:37 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,465,846 times
Quote:
Its a position they never should have been in to begin with. Had they been able to keep their own money and invest it for all of those years up until close to retirement, they would have had much larger nest egg and wouldn't have had to try and make such risky investments.

This is just proof in my personal opinion that SS helps in creating a false sense of security though. Most people with a an hour or two of reading/research every now and then could figure out where to safely put their money, how to allocate it and avoid being played in the great SS scheme to manipulate the voting public. Personal finance and investing is made to be some big Wall Street boogie man, stoking fear and making people feel like they need the government to save them. I have faith in the vast majority of the general population who are able to balance check books, buy cars and houses that they can also manage their retirement money using basic guidelines published by the 1000s of financial institutions, research institutes, and investment experts. All free information that can be executed on with minimal starting $ and a few clicks of a mouse.
You and I sure can do it. So can 100M other Americans.

...and 100M other Americans that can't or won't.

From my viewpoint SS has been a meager investment expense, soon with a minor return. I never minded that second 100M getting some backup. Nor the first.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:38 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,581 times
Default There was an HTML error. I take it back. You are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You are quoting the wrong poster. I didnt say what you quoted me on.
There was an HTML error. I take it back. You are right.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:42 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,957,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
FDR warned of it in 1936:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3RHnKYNvx8

Old 04-19-2017, 02:45 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,957,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Exactly. It would have the biggest impact on people who already get hit the hardest. These families get no healthcare credits, lose or get reduced child tax credits, don't qualify for need based college help, etc.
No it wont. If a person earns more than $250k a year, that person can afford to pay Medicare tax and SS tax on all their income like Joe Sixpack on $50k already does.

All the programs you talk about are means tested programs implemented by right wingers (from the Dems and GOP) meant to rile up the middle class by denying the middle class the benefits of taxation and stigmatize the beneficiaries (the desperately poor which would be targeted for attack).

Old 04-19-2017, 02:46 PM

45,206 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Quote:
Yes please.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:39 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,974,321 times
Quote:
Its mere existence mixed with political grandstanding over it, and the fact that its become a false sense of security that is unstable and cant exist as originally intended means its destroyed already. My suggestion is more of a controlled dismantling which is much more fair and stable.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:40 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
the fact that its become a false sense of security that is unstable and cant exist as originally intended means its destroyed already.
umm.. not a fact. more like an opinion. a really, really bad opinion, in my opinion.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
SS should work like Medicare taxes. Everyone should be taxed on all income.
Uhhh, no.

Nobody should have to put in absurdity more than they will receive.

Yes, I know the liberal mates is "I want what he has; therefore, the government should take it for me", but that is absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies