Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 01:11 PM

57,248 posts, read 26,186,773 times

Advertisements

Well my first question is why, the bureau has recovered billions in shady practices from individuals and banks so what is the problem. Seems like they are exposing these shady practices and protecting consumers particularly those on the fringe.

Trump hasn't been clear on which direction he will go (what else is new) but the GOP certainly has fought this agency tooth and nail.

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Republicans are working on a new plan for weakening the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau by stripping the agency of its independence and severely limiting its ability to go after corporations.
House Republicans would de-fang the consumer protection agency and make it more susceptible to political shifts by granting more control and oversight to the White House and Congress. One key change would convert the CFPB into an executive agency with a director who can be removed by the president at will. Currently, the director of the independent agency can only be fired for cause.

House GOP has new plan to de-fang consumer protection agency | OregonLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 01:34 PM

809 posts, read 746,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well my first question is why, the bureau has recovered billions in shady practices from individuals and banks so what is the problem. Seems like they are exposing these shady practices and protecting consumers particularly those on the fringe.

Great article, thanks for sharing. As to the "why", there's a somewhat sarcastic comment below the article (posted by "The Path Without Steps") that is on point:

Quote:
Consumer protection laws cost banks a lot of money, and the recent regulations by the CFPB have cost them billions. Visa and MasterCard were forced to give up billions in point-of-sale fees on debit card purchases. Hopefully the Bannon Trump administration can force consumers, small companies and merchants to go back to paying much higher fees on debit card purchases. Remember that every penny that a consumer or small business does not pay is a penny out of the pocket of a Wall Street Bank and their shareholders.

God loves billionaires, and you should too.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:47 PM

The main thrust to hamstring this bureau has come from Congressman Hensarling Financial Control Act to gut Dodd Frank, he is resubmitting the bill. Trump has been fairly non-committal on this. So what's the problem they are trying to address??

Old 04-19-2017, 05:15 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,356 times
Can the GOP possibly be more obvious about who they really represent in DC?

Old 04-19-2017, 05:17 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Can the GOP possibly be more obvious about who they really represent in DC?
Only as long as their constituency allows themselves to be taken for fools.

So yeah, they probably could be, and still be fine. I seriously wish I was being funny. Im not.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:20 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,849,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Trump hasn't been clear on which direction he will go (what else is new) but the GOP certainly has fought this agency tooth and nail.

Have you ever tried to USE the agency? I did, TOTALLY WORTHLESS. Its more a leftist political machine than anything. I had a complaint and they did the minimum in contacting the company and did absolutely NOTHING else, not even a followup. They are just a group to push a liberal agenda. WORTHLESS. They should be dismantled.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Have you ever tried to USE the agency? I did, TOTALLY WORTHLESS. Its more a leftist political machine than anything. I had a complaint and they did the minimum in contacting the company and did absolutely NOTHING else, not even a followup. They are just a group to push a liberal agenda. WORTHLESS. They should be dismantled.
While your experience may be true they have recovered billions of dollars, since when is protecting consumers from predatory practices considered just a liberal trait.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:54 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Yeah, if you're an actual consumer, they are as useful as the BBB.

I tried to get help from them once as well. Waste of my time.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:56 PM

45,215 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Horrible, a real tragedy....won't get done again?

Old 04-19-2017, 09:28 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,452,732 times
Quote:
The agency doesn't exist to be your personal collection agency or knee-capper. It is a regulatory agency.

They compile complaints and investigate, looking for patterns of malfeasance and chicanery. The agency can initiate lawsuits for a class of victims and can introduce new regulations to protect the consumers in general. They can also propose legislation, if congress will listen to them (which congress won't when it is controlled by Republicans).

Since when does protecting the general public have to be a liberal or conservative agenda? It is a patriotic act.

We are far better off with them functioning as intended than the alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies