Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:33 AM

19,378 posts, read 12,026,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
I agree. I see more of a borg society happening at the end of it. Whether that will be a go or a bad thing....I don't know. But I would say, I think more people than not will be "assimilated" willingly.

Personally I'm willing to take the chance on being "upgraded."
Really???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 08:39 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,245,377 times
A few good links, for those who want to learn more and keep up with where our world is headed, for better or worse:I also highly recommend the Wait But Why essay that greywar posted above. It took me a few hours to get through it including a lot of sidebar link-chasing, but it was worth it.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 PM

34,258 posts, read 19,225,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Really???
Notice the word chance? Its the gamble. Read the waitbutwhy link I put up, specifically the last chapter of it, all though the entire thing is a great read. I tend to agree that it will be a much more individualistic future, even more then today. But there IS risk. Especially as we start to integrate with AI eventually. I suspect that is a long ways out however.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:42 AM

I watched a new series on Prime called "America's Surveillance State." It was okay, though it didn't present all that much new information to me. But it got me to thinking. One thing that was evident is that the NSA doesn't consider collecting everything to be "collecting" at all.

If we're one day able to read thoughts, project thoughts digitally, share thoughts "telepathically," use thoughts to control technology... that sounds like we'll be quantizing thoughts, turning them into 1s and 0s -- data. And it sounds like something the NSA will want to have its mitts on.

With the explosion in storage capability, in AI necessary to make sense of and query big data, and with the new technologies that Musk and Zuckerberg are working on, it seems to make sense the NSA will want to collect this data too. Maybe they will only collect the "metadata" on our projected and shared thoughts. Or maybe that's what they'll tell us they're doing.

Collection of thoughts is probably 25-35 years away, so the bulk of people alive at that time will have had things like social media and smartphones for most of their lives. Artificial intellect will have taken most of the intellectual labor by then, and the government will be large and in charge of a lot of things in people's lives.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:43 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,483,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Really???
Yeah really. You got a crystal ball there Nostradamus?

Old 04-24-2017, 09:46 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,548,906 times
I am still waiting for flying cars. It was supposed to happen by 2000.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:57 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,388,800 times
I think the FB timeline is interesting in that it's supposedly a business plan vs just musing. Whether it will all come true, or on the timeline he proposes, who knows. Few if any of these predictions come true exactly as described by even the most knowledgeable seers. But it has sure been interesting to watch technology innovation over the past few decades, and I expect things will change even faster in the decades ahead. I welcome the changes for the most part, most of my peers are 'afraid of the unknowns.'

Old 04-24-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I am still waiting for flying cars. It was supposed to happen by 2000.
There are a lot of reasons those aren't in production.

Isaac Newton Says You Can't Have a Flying Car

Top 5 Reasons You Don't Want a Flying Car

----------------------------

But inroads are still being made:

Dubai To Put Autonomous Taxi Drones In The Skies 'This Summer'

Watch this all-electric ‘flying car’ take its first test flight in Germany

Old 04-24-2017, 10:57 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,365,014 times
Trump's wall will be obsolete before it's completed. Drones which carry humans a short distance will be available to take people over the wall and gently lower them to the ground on the other side. They'll use the drones to bring people over to the other side and to bring drugs to the other side.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:17 AM

19,378 posts, read 12,026,743 times
It sounds pretty blue pilled to give oneself over to artificial anything. It won't make us better it will make the powers better and stronger and we will just be very docile and willing sources to facilitate their utter domination. All we are is human, nothing about a newborn baby is artificial. How can we look at a child and say it isn't good enough, we have to hook its brain up to something "better". I suppose we won't even need school anymore, the common brain will do all the thinking.

We should be putting all the intelligence into areas like medical research, curing painful diseases, not making silly glasses to make people feel like their real lives are not good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies