Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 08:57 AM

207 posts, read 113,199 times

Advertisements

Ryerson instructor tells student to only rely on feminist journals | Toronto & G

A recent article of a Ryerson Prof telling their student, that she is wrong in regards to the gender pay gap, and that she needs to use ONLY FEMINISTS SOURCES!! Wow! How is this tool not fired!?!? First of all the wage gap is a myth. It just looks at female and male full time wages. Men work 3.5 more hours per week, 92% of all work place fatalities are male (meaning they take most of the dangerous jobs that pay more, ex Mining, Construction etc etc) and one just needs to look at any campus in the Western world and the majority of engineering students and computer programming students are male. Not a single business would survive in Canada if they payed women less, FOR THE SAME WORK AND QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE, as a man. The Human rights Tribunal would be all over them in a heartbeat! But the real issue here is how Liberal academia is attempting to brain wash the masses, but not allowing any dissenting opinions or facts, even when they are the correct facts!! Liberalism preaches tolerance, on their terms only! Different views or opinions are not tolerated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 08:59 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
This is in Canada. Can you find something a little more local?

Old 03-27-2017, 09:02 AM

207 posts, read 113,199 times
The wage gap "myth" exists in the States too!

Old 03-27-2017, 09:03 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
Yes, I understand that but the article is irrelevant because it comes from Canada. It is relevant to them but not to us. It is a different economy.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:06 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
WHY is it we continually hear the right whining about academia being controlled by leftists. Seems to me if those whiners were as smart and capable as they seem to believe they are they would have done something about that alleged liberal dominance of academia a long time ago.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:10 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,114,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turthist View Post
Liberal academia is attempting to brain wash the masses, but not allowing any dissenting opinions or facts,
I love how conservatives want to talk "facts," but the Counselor to the POTUS, a conservative, created her own term "alternative facts" when she doesn't agree with actual facts.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:16 AM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
If you're worried about brainwashing, go talk to the churches that are part of the Christian Right. They routinely brainwash young children.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:43 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
WHY is it we continually hear the right whining about academia being controlled by leftists. Seems to me if those whiners were as smart and capable as they seem to believe they are they would have done something about that alleged liberal dominance of academia a long time ago.
This is mostly an issue of "class" and "individual interests", than the result of some massive conspiracy.

It reminds me of this quote by George Orwell, from the essay "England your England", from 1941....

George Orwell: Part I: England Your England

"In England patriotism takes different forms in different classes, but it runs like a connecting thread through nearly all of them. Only the Europeanized intelligentsia are really immune to it. As a positive emotion it is stronger in the middle class than in the upper class – the cheap public schools, for instance, are more given to patriotic demonstrations than the expensive ones – but the number of definitely treacherous rich men, the Laval-Quisling type, is probably very small. In the working class patriotism is profound, but it is unconscious. The working man's heart does not leap when he sees a Union Jack. But the famous ‘insularity’ and ‘xenophobia’ of the English is far stronger in the working class than in the bourgeoisie. In all countries the poor are more national than the rich, but the English working class are outstanding in their abhorrence of foreign habits. Even when they are obliged to live abroad for years they refuse either to accustom themselves to foreign food or to learn foreign languages. Nearly every Englishman of working-class origin considers it effeminate to pronounce a foreign word correctly."

You could take George Orwell's quote, replace the word "England" with "America", and it would be just as true. Basically, the upper-classes, and the intelligentsia, tend to be "international", because it serves their interests. And the lower-classes tend to be national, because it serves their interests.

Which is why, when you look at the CEO's of major corporations, they are all globalists. Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Warren Buffett, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
If you're worried about brainwashing, go talk to the churches that are part of the Christian Right. They routinely brainwash young children.
Then doesn't every parent "brainwash" their children? Is that a bad thing? What is brainwashing anyway? And who should be doing it?

The real question, as it pertains to the American education system, is whether I should be forced to subsidize the brainwashing of my children, and other people's children, with my tax dollars.

If churches were receiving your tax money, you would have a valid argument. But since they aren't, take your garbage somewhere else.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

I agree with this.

It is also disturbing that many on the right who complain about liberalism in education take one persons article and/or opinion to represent the entire world's liberal views lol.

IMO that is proof that they need to do better in educating themselves.

FWIW, I'm a moderate and I frequently challenge liberal educators and institutions in regards to my own children in particular and our schools. Many people on this forum have called me a liberal, but I actually have intelligently challenged liberal leaning teachers/principals on why it is not a good idea to take kids to protests and about how they can be just as close-minded as conservatives. Different between them and the conservatives I talk to most of the time, is that they usually listen and they respond in a positive way to this sort of constructive criticism.

If I see someone say that girls should only read books by female authors (which was another thread similar to this one that conservative posters riled themselves up about) I will immediately say to any teacher/administrator/district that that is ridiculous and I am a female and consider myself a feminist.

If someone said to me as a college student that I should only read feminist articles, as a feminist, I would challenge that POV.

Conservatives IMO need to learn how to constructively criticize and challenge the loopy liberalism they are faced with. It is not hard for me to do it. It shouldn't be hard for you all either.

Also quit thinking all liberals think the same things or all feminists are the same. Passing along media that states as such and fits with your latter POV is just your propagandizing this issue and attempting to paint women, feminists, and liberals as "evil."

Old 03-27-2017, 09:56 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Talking Clear Proof of Liberal Academia brain-washing the masses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turthist View Post
Ryerson instructor tells student to only rely on feminist journals | Toronto & G

A recent article of a Ryerson Prof telling their student, that she is wrong in regards to the gender pay gap, and that she needs to use ONLY FEMINISTS SOURCES!! Wow! How is this tool not fired!?!? First of all the wage gap is a myth. It just looks at female and male full time wages. Men work 3.5 more hours per week, 92% of all work place fatalities are male (meaning they take most of the dangerous jobs that pay more, ex Mining, Construction etc etc) and one just needs to look at any campus in the Western world and the majority of engineering students and computer programming students are male. Not a single business would survive in Canada if they payed women less, FOR THE SAME WORK AND QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE, as a man. The Human rights Tribunal would be all over them in a heartbeat! But the real issue here is how Liberal academia is attempting to brain wash the masses, but not allowing any dissenting opinions or facts, even when they are the correct facts!! Liberalism preaches tolerance, on their terms only! Different views or opinions are not tolerated!

Relax, please.

Take a deep breath.

A single professor at a Toronto college telling a single student to do that is NOT what a rational mind would scream, "Mass brain-washing!"

Carry on.

<PS: what's a turthist?>

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies