Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Sure. Jackson Heights in Queens is a great example. 167 languages spoken, but still distinctly New York.
And the food...You can have a different cuisine every day for a month.

http://nyti.ms/2lJCWaK
I would love it there so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I don't believe in States.

Right-Libertarian viewpoint.

The only rights that need to be respected are individual rights and by extension private property rights.
If'ing private property is so important, do we want just anyone screwing around with our private property, aka this country?? Not sure how this stance would be contrary to supporting border enforcement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-libertarianism

Old 04-21-2017, 11:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Our nation started out multicultural it led to a bloody civil war.
The insistence on keeping people in bondage led to our civil war, not multiculturalism. However, i kinda get what you're saying.
Quote:
Yes.

Even today people refer to Southern culture.
There is no distinctive Southern Culture. Southerners are delusional if they think there is. The only thing that the South had that distinguished it from the rest of the nation is that it's geographically the southern part of this country and slavery. Slavery is over, so that distinction is dead.

As for the fact that it's the actual geographical southern portion of the country, i don't know why ANYONE would think that that's special.

Otherwise, there is no such thing as Southern Culture. The only state in the South with any distinct culture is Louisiana, and we're really only talking about the Southern part of Louisiana. I suppose you could include the South Carolina and Georgia Coastal Islands.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:25 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
You can keep your language, you food, and your pretty clothing but if your culture has different values than someone else's there's going to be trouble. We desperately need an American culture that everyone must buy into in order to exist peacefully here.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:41 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You can keep your language, you food, and your pretty clothing but if your culture has different values than someone else's there's going to be trouble. We desperately need an American culture that everyone must buy into in order to exist peacefully here.
Not really.

For more than a century in this country, ethnic groups held on to their cultures with all the strength they could muster. People existed quite peacefully with each other.

The only groups that caught any real hell were groups that TRIED to assimilate, but weren't allowed to do so.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:05 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Not very well.
Oh you jest. Immigration is pretty under control, trust me. Illegal immigration is a different story, but legally, it's as complicated as it's ever been

Old 04-22-2017, 04:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
If talking about NYC, Chicago and Boston; you're kinda right. If talking here in Arizona; not so much, we're usually 100 percent "anglo white" in culture.
Don't forget about the Wilkes-Barre Scranton area in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Buffalo, and St. Paul. The point is there are many Irish and Italian Americans who've carried on their culture's traditions and religions. I think its pretty cool actually.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:13 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Our nation started out multicultural it led to a bloody civil war.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No
Quote:
Yes.

Even today people refer to Southern culture.
whogo, are you blaming slaves for the civil war?

Old 04-22-2017, 04:17 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
I'm glad multiculturalism is destroying America. Nothing but morons here anyway.

Quote:
"Ethnonationalism, the force that tore the Soviet Union apart, the relentless drive of people to separate that translates into tribalism within a country, is not only pulling our world apart, it is tearing at the seams of American union. And the ideals that once defined us as a people--freedom, equality, democracy--have been corrupted into concepts more reminiscent of Marxist revolutions than of the American Revolution.

For what is a nation?

Is it not a people of a common ancestry, culture, and language who worship the same God, revere the same heroes, cherish the same history, celebrate the same holidays, share the same music, poetry, art, literature, held together, in Lincoln's words, by "bonds of affection, mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield, and patriot grave, to every living heart and hearth-stone"?

If that is what a nation is, can we truly say that America is still a nation?" - Pat Buchanan, Suicide of a superpower

Old 04-22-2017, 04:21 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The insistence on keeping people in bondage led to our civil war, not multiculturalism. However, i kinda get what you're saying.

There is no distinctive Southern Culture. Southerners are delusional if they think there is. The only thing that the South had that distinguished it from the rest of the nation is that it's geographically the southern part of this country and slavery. Slavery is over, so that distinction is dead.

As for the fact that it's the actual geographical southern portion of the country, i don't know why ANYONE would think that that's special.

Otherwise, there is no such thing as Southern Culture. The only state in the South with any distinct culture is Louisiana, and we're really only talking about the Southern part of Louisiana. I suppose you could include the South Carolina and Georgia Coastal Islands.
You are right about New Orleans. It definitely has a distinct culture.

I'm not so sure you are right about "Southern Culture" as a whole. I guess it depends on your definition of culture. It is certainly different than the Northeast. They have their own dialect and their own food. The way everything and everyone moves and talks so slowly is certainly different than the Northeast. I lived in Dallas for 2 years, and I would say they even have their own way of dressing that is different. You don't see many men wearing ostrich skin cowboy boots in NJ. Or cowboy hats for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies