Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 05:36 AM

14,859 posts, read 8,156,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The insistence on keeping people in bondage led to our civil war, not multiculturalism. However, i kinda get what you're saying.
The Civil War was fundamentally a war over secession. It should honestly be called the war for southern independence.

Because what is secession, other than independence?

So why is it that people are so opposed to independence?

And let's be honest here, you are also opposed to independence. You are an advocate for slavery, you just refuse to admit it, or you refuse to see it, or try to pretend it is something other than it really is.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves." - Henry David Thoreau

"Off goes the head of the king, and tyranny gives way to freedom. The change seems abysmal. Then, bit by bit, the face of freedom hardens, and by and by it is the old face of tyranny. Then another cycle, and another. But under the play of all these opposites there is something fundamental and permanent — the basic delusion that men may be governed and yet be free." - H.L. Mencken

The reason you're not an advocate of independence, is because you believe people are better off being ruled over by their government(IE their master/authority/etc). In fact, you believe you are better off under its authority than free(which has always been the argument in favor of slavery). And you pretend as if the government is legitimate. And in your greatest of delusions, you actually imagine that you are the government(and then you complain about how the government is owned by business/money/the media/etc in the same breath).

Was southern independence based on hypocrisy? Of course it was. But no more hypocritical than all governments, and all people.

Lincoln would have gone to war for any reason to "save the union". He killed 700,000 Americans, and he would have gladly killed twice that many, three times that many, and many more, to prevent independence. And so would Stalin, Hitler, Mao, and any of the other tyrants throughout history.

Anyone who thinks the North fought a war to end slavery, is a complete moron, a buffoon, an imbecile, a pathetic indoctrinated human-being.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 04-22-2017 at 06:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 06:04 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,542,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You are right about New Orleans. It definitely has a distinct culture.

I'm not so sure you are right about "Southern Culture" as a whole. I guess it depends on your definition of culture. It is certainly different than the Northeast. They have their own dialect and their own food. The way everything and everyone moves and talks so slowly is certainly different than the Northeast. I lived in Dallas for 2 years, and I would say they even have their own way of dressing that is different. You don't see many men wearing ostrich skin cowboy boots in NJ. Or cowboy hats for that matter.
Actually, if you want to get down to it, there's no single southern dialect. I certainly don't know anyone who speaks with a stereotypical "southern drawl." I know they're around, just not in my little corner of the south. I moved here a few years ago, and while people do sometimes tell me that my voice is loud and I talk fast, to be honest, I heard the same thing throughout my childhood in the Midwest. I didn't hear it when I lived in Chicago or Alaska. I think people are a little less direct here than they were up north, at least in northern cities.

In any case, if there is a "southern culture," it's certainly not a monolithic one. West Virginia is very different from the Charleston, SC area, for example, and both are different from Texas, for example. As for cowboy hats, I've lived in an outer suburb of Memphis for three years now, and haven't seen one yet. We do, however, have the best barbecue on Earth. I grew up eating Kansas City barbecue, which is famous in its own right, and my first trip to a Memphis 'cue spot was a revelation.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:21 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,810,620 times
I think as the world has gotten gotten smaller through the invention of the automobile up to the internet that Southern Culture has declined. However, in 1861 there were definitely huge cultural differences between the North and the South.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:36 AM

15,580 posts, read 10,303,135 times
This thread jumped the shark.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:26 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,542,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
This thread jumped the shark.
Or maybe just the fence.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:40 AM

368 posts, read 450,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And so have Puerto Ricans who were born and raised stateside. They all do, eventually. You just have very short term thinking individuals that can't see past their own generation and think nobody is assimilating
Puerto Ricans are one of the fastest assimilating Hispanics. Usually after 3 or 4 generations,many of them have already started assimilating into Black American or White American cultural groups. Which is easy becuz most are mixed with both, so its easy to blend in with blacks or whites. Either that or they just still hold onto to the Americanised watered-down Hispanic American culture presently practiced by groups like Nuyoricans and Chicanos, where they merge Hispanic & American cultures, and mostly intermingle with other americanised mixed race hispanics. But even still, after 6 generations nearly all Puerto Ricans start to just become either plain ole American black or white, due to intermating with them.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:47 AM

62,579 posts, read 28,768,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
A culture that has ripped off countless others maybe

Ripped off? No, we were once a melting pot that added to the main ingredients. Is that what you call being ripped off? Nowadays we are just a salad bowl as there doesn't seem to be much "melting" anymore, unfortunately.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:48 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,039,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You are right about New Orleans. It definitely has a distinct culture.

I'm not so sure you are right about "Southern Culture" as a whole. I guess it depends on your definition of culture. It is certainly different than the Northeast. They have their own dialect and their own food. The way everything and everyone moves and talks so slowly is certainly different than the Northeast. I lived in Dallas for 2 years, and I would say they even have their own way of dressing that is different. You don't see many men wearing ostrich skin cowboy boots in NJ. Or cowboy hats for that matter.
Everywhere in America has its own distinct foods, language and style of dress.

If the whole South had the same foods, dialect, and style of dress, that'd be different. But that's far from the case.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:16 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,039,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The Civil War was fundamentally a war over secession. It should honestly be called the war for southern independence.

Because what is secession, other than independence?

So why is it that people are so opposed to independence?

And let's be honest here, you are also opposed to independence. You are an advocate for slavery, you just refuse to admit it, or you refuse to see it, or try to pretend it is something other than it really is.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves." - Henry David Thoreau

"Off goes the head of the king, and tyranny gives way to freedom. The change seems abysmal. Then, bit by bit, the face of freedom hardens, and by and by it is the old face of tyranny. Then another cycle, and another. But under the play of all these opposites there is something fundamental and permanent — the basic delusion that men may be governed and yet be free." - H.L. Mencken

The reason you're not an advocate of independence, is because you believe people are better off being ruled over by their government(IE their master/authority/etc). In fact, you believe you are better off under its authority than free(which has always been the argument in favor of slavery). And you pretend as if the government is legitimate. And in your greatest of delusions, you actually imagine that you are the government(and then you complain about how the government is owned by business/money/the media/etc in the same breath).

Was southern independence based on hypocrisy? Of course it was. But no more hypocritical than all governments, and all people.

Lincoln would have gone to war for any reason to "save the union". He killed 700,000 Americans, and he would have gladly killed twice that many, three times that many, and many more, to prevent independence. And so would Stalin, Hitler, Mao, and any of the other tyrants throughout history.

Anyone who thinks the North fought a war to end slavery, is a complete moron, a buffoon, an imbecile, a pathetic indoctrinated human-being.
Nonsense. You're babbling.

The South didn't want secession and independence for the hell of it. They wanted it so that they could keep slavery. That's it. There are no other reasons.

Areas of southern states that had little to no slavery because of topography (Eastern Tennessee, Western North Carolina, Northeastern Alabama, North Georgia, Western Virginia) were almost ALWAYS pro-Union in sentiment because they knew the game...secession brought no one but slaveholders any benefit.

Then there's the fact that Deep South States...the states with the most to lose by losing slavery...were the states to secede first.

Moreover, the seceding state delegates to the other southern states that were sent out to other southern states that were reluctant to secede, approached those states with manifestos loaded with language intended to convince those states as to why they should secede too.

The language made it clear that there was only ONE reason to secede..SLAVERY. There were pretty much no other reasons stated.

Then there's the admission by the Confederacy itself, countesy of its own Vice President, Alexander Stephens:

Quote:
" Our new government is founded upon exactly [this] idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. "
What do you place against those words? Go ahead Genius...explain it.

BTW...no one in this thread ever postulated that the war was fought to end slavery. So if you really want to call me an imbecile or buffoon, just call me that directly instead of using circumlocution to be chicken****!

So miss me with all that faux intellectualism. You may be fooling others with nonsense about "liberty," "tyranny" and "independence," but I see right through it.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:36 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,072,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Puerto Ricans are one of the fastest assimilating Hispanics. Usually after 3 or 4 generations,many of them have already started assimilating into Black American or White American cultural groups. Which is easy becuz most are mixed with both, so its easy to blend in with blacks or whites. Either that or they just still hold onto to the Americanised watered-down Hispanic American culture presently practiced by groups like Nuyoricans and Chicanos, where they merge Hispanic & American cultures, and mostly intermingle with other americanised mixed race hispanics. But even still, after 6 generations nearly all Puerto Ricans start to just become either plain ole American black or white, due to intermating with them.
Puerto Rican culture is already heavily Americanized. Go see a movie in Puerto Rico. It's in English with Spanish subtitles. Go to Puerto Rico and celebrate Thanksgiving with a turkey and all. They just have mofongo instead of stuffing. Schools even have football teams now. Protestant Evangelist megachurches are replacing the Catholic churches. Almost everyone speaks English to a passable level. In all the time I have spent in Puerto Rico, I have only encountered ONE person who did not speak ANY English ... and she was probably old enough to have lived under Spanish rule.

Puerto Rico in 2017 is Miami with even less White people. It's really not that 'foreign'. The old caricatures of toothless, uneducated, lazy, pidgen English speaking Puerto Ricans stopped being accurate in the 1950s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies