Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:10 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Explain them ...
I suggest taking up a Juris Doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 10:27 PM

911 posts, read 591,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I suggest taking up a Juris Doctor.
If you are incapable of explaining comments you make, then you have invalidated whatever points you were trying to prove.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:50 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
Lawsuit press conference. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/xJJZrx1OmyU

I strongly recommend this be viewed before continuing this "discussion."
This is either inaccurate, or an over-simplification. The guest lecture was scheduled for early may. The speaker declined, because she couldn't make it. The university gave up on rescheduling, because it received threats from the Oakland group regarding Coulter's appearance, and they feared they couldn't guarantee her safety, nor students' safety. (See linked article in next post)

It was in yesterday's news that conservative students staged a protest, and there was also a pro-Coulter rally downtown; police were out in riot gear, anticipating more trouble from the Oakland anarchist group, but that didn't materialize. They worked to maintain order around the two events held by conservatives, as counter-protests occurred.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-30-2017 at 12:40 AM..

Old 04-29-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
When they university and the city sit to the side instead of instilling peace they are encouraging the use of violence by antifa leading conservative groups to arm themselves since the police refuse to intervene.

Nobody sat at the side yesterday, and the police were out in force, in riot gear, anticipating an appearance by violent anarchists. Nobody is leading anyone to arm themselves, and Berkeley police are being far from passive. Yours are untrue statements. Doesn't anyone read the news? This is old news by now, about a day and a half after the fact. The problem with the earlier events was that the university and police were caught by surprise.
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/new...7ce5f37ba.html

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-30-2017 at 12:41 AM..

Old 04-30-2017, 05:05 AM

882 posts, read 688,916 times
And then you get the "that's BS" (or the favorite of Tulemutt..."that's hogwash") response followed by "this is what really happened" (nevermind what you actually saw), LOL!

Why UC police let anarchists run wild in Berkeley - San Francisco Chronicle

From the previous event with Milo Yiannopoulos

You just can't make this stuff up and the nonsensical responses from Liberals

police made no attempt to stop the attack or arrest any of the rioters. Caught by surprise my ass. And the new policy calls for a minimum amount of force. That Liberal math is funny since $1 million dollars could buy you an army for a single event. But I'm sure taxpayers are fine with doling out that money.

The next step will be to get an activist judge who will listen to the insurmountable evidence against UC Berkeley and then smile and say "not guilty". It's how they roll.

Last edited by Independentthinking; 04-30-2017 at 06:08 AM..

Old 04-30-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
And then you get the "that's BS" (or the favorite of Tulemutt..."that's hogwash") response followed by "this is what really happened" (nevermind what you actually saw), LOL!

Why UC police let anarchists run wild in Berkeley - San Francisco Chronicle

From the previous event with Milo Yiannopoulos

You just can't make this stuff up and the nonsensical responses from Liberals

police made no attempt to stop the attack or arrest any of the rioters. Caught by surprise my ass. And the new policy calls for a minimum amount of force. That Liberal math is funny since $1 million dollars could buy you an army for a single event. But I'm sure taxpayers are fine with doling out that money.

The next step will be to get an activist judge who will listen to the insurmountable evidence against UC Berkeley and then smile and say "not guilty". It's how they roll.
Its not clear what you're arguing about here. Whats your point? That bad people showed up and raised hell and damaged things? Thats obvious. The issues of the thread are:
1. whether these are students and if so is their behavior condoned.
2. whether these protests and riots are a sign that "liberals" in general are intolerant compared to conservatives.
3. why arent the police stopping people from rioting.
4. And are these protests violations of "free speech rights."

Answers are obvious to the reasonably informed:
1. students are among the protestors but so far the riot instigators are outside agitators
2. the number of these agitators is very small and dont represent any significant element of liberalism
3. the police are following philosophy and tactics now accepted around the world: safeguard the public first
4. "Free speech" rights concern government interference - not counter protest.

There are a variety of laws being broken by riotous agitators. "Peaceful assembly" violations, personal harassment, vandalism, endangerment, assault ... all can be cause for arrest and conviction, and are taking place secondary to containment and public safety techniques.

"Free speech" infringement isnt at issue. You all need to study up on that.

So what would you have the police do in these volatile circumstances? Crowd control is a specialized field of public safety and policing. Lots of research and study available in textbooks and instruction manuals used by law enforcement. Think you know better? Let's hear about it.

As for your link supposedly showing the folly of the policing and university, etc, it appears you either dont read your own links or dont comprehend what you read. Some clips confirming who was rioting and the unoversity and police position:

Quote:
We’d rather deal with broken windows than broken heads.

image of UC police standing by as “black bloc” protesters fired bottle rockets at them and used police barricades as battering rams to break the windows

Taking on the anarchists at the Berkeley protest with batons and tear gas might have resulted in arrests, but it would also have resulted in injuriesand not just to black bloc types. The hundreds of demonstrators who were behaving peacefully would have been in the middle of the mess.

“We’re not talking about people who, if you try to arrest them, are going to say, ‘I’m sorry’ and just let themselves be cuffed and taken in,” UC Berkeley spokesman Dan Mogulof said of the anarchists. “There would have been confrontations that involved innocent bystanders, and we would have had far more than the six injuries we had.”

Having the police scurry for cover may have been a bad look on TV, but it was an easy call for campus officials, Mogulof said. “It was too dangerous for everyone.”

Old 04-30-2017, 10:47 AM

629 posts, read 619,932 times
Quote:
42 minutes of listening to Ann Coulter spin with FOX? How a out you summarize the points you think are relevant to this "discussion."
About the response I was expecting. It's from a lawyer representing students in the lawsuit, not Ann coulter. It's very detailed in the situation, and may even have *gasp* relevant information in the case not previously known. Or it might not. Guess you'll never know.

I would say it's most likely that no one actually watched the video. Self-righteous attitude is easier when selectively ignoring any possible alternative to your dialogue. This applies to both sides.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:50 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
If you are incapable of explaining comments you make, then you have invalidated whatever points you were trying to prove.
Nonsense. I have neither the patience nor the time to educate others.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
About the response I was expecting. It's from a lawyer representing students in the lawsuit, not Ann coulter. It's very detailed in the situation, and may even have *gasp* relevant information in the case not previously known. Or it might not. Guess you'll never know.

I would say it's most likely that no one actually watched the video. Self-righteous attitude is easier when selectively ignoring any possible alternative to your dialogue. This applies to both sides.
You're either deliberately making an untrue accusation, or you didn't read my response to the video, perhaps selectively reading. Talk about "self-righteous"! It's this type of post that makes it clear that some people on this thread are only interested in flinging unfounded accusations toward others.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:

As suggested: summarize any points you think are relevant and why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies