Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:32 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

When did this whole anti-education thing start?

Old 04-22-2017, 01:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
When did this whole anti-education thing start?
What day was the election on when Obama won his first term?

Right around then.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:43 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
I feel like going crazy with militancy about "gender fluidity" only hurts the actual LGBT community.

Too much focus on fringe wackjobs, not enough on securing and keeping the rights of those who are lesbian, gay, bi, or transgender.

Actual LGBT folks just end up diluted with the radicals, and then aren't taken seriously.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:46 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
...I have a graduate-level education and I can tell you that it most definitely does broaden a person's horizons and changes the way they see the world and the people in it.
I won't disagree in general. But, I will assert three caveats:

1. Going to grad school is not the only way to become a thoughtful, knowledgeable, intellectually-rigorous individual. My ex-GF never obtained a Bachelor's degree (she later completed LVN school and also worked for the NSA), but she speaks several languages fluently including Arabic, has read thousands of books, and is generally a towering intellect who I would put against anyone I know in terms of perspective on the world.

2. Going to grad school does not automatically make one a worldly, solicitous, or truly intelligent person. I've dealt with some extraordinarily close-minded post-grads (both right-wing and left-wing) in my time.

3. Becoming educated, obtaining a graduate degree (I have one), and broading one's horizons and the way one sees the world does not equate to becoming leftist politically.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:22 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Most of the stuff you "lurrrn" in school, you are not going to use, and you will promptly forget.

Those biology classes many went through in college, most people will not retain 1% of the stuff they studied in those classes.....ditto for calculus, psychology, history, etc, etc.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This is what I believe. The more you are exposed to -- practical or not -- the more you learn about yourself, the world, others.
Yet exposure to some things is actively prevented at universities today isn't it?

Old 04-22-2017, 03:28 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
My point is you'll actually be able to learn something useful at a trade school whereas in universities; particularly ivy league ones such as harvard will teach you less about actual facts of life and things that exist in the real world to better yourself and educate you in things that matter and waste time telling you mental illness is what matters.
Ahhh. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!

Oh shoot... Trade school vs. Ivy League.. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

*snort- chuckle*, Ahhhhhhhhh.....

Oh wait- what was your statement again? *Snort-chuckle*.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:30 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I won't disagree in general. But, I will assert three caveats:

1. Going to grad school is not the only way to become a thoughtful, knowledgeable, intellectually-rigorous individual. My ex-GF never obtained a Bachelor's degree (she later completed LVN school and also worked for the NSA), but she speaks several languages fluently including Arabic, has read thousands of books, and is generally a towering intellect who I would put against anyone I know in terms of perspective on the world.

2. Going to grad school does not automatically make one a worldly, solicitous, or truly intelligent person. I've dealt with some extraordinarily close-minded post-grads (both right-wing and left-wing) in my time.

3. Becoming educated, obtaining a graduate degree (I have one), and broading one's horizons and the way one sees the world does not equate to becoming leftist politically.

1 and 2 - Mostly agree. Some of the smartest people I have met have been mostly self-taught. I've also met people with advanced degrees who hate to read (!) The key thing is a love of learning, and there seems to be a disheartening tendency these days to devalue learning for its own sake.

3 - Absolutely agree. My community is full of people with graduate degrees who are very conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Most of the stuff you "lurrrn" in school, you are not going to use, and you will promptly forget.

Those biology classes many went through in college, most people will not retain 1% of the stuff they studied in those classes.....ditto for calculus, psychology, history, etc, etc.
For one thing, I bet most people retain more than they realize. They may not use it every day, but it very probably lends perspective to everything from current events to daily conversation that might otherwise be lacking.

For a second, studying those subjects makes you think, and that is always a good thing. The brain, much like a muscle, benefits from regular workouts.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:40 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,299,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Sorry, I'm confused - I don't see how your title line pertains to the content of your post. Are you trying to say that you are contemptuous of better schools because they result in students thinking about things, instead offset focusing on earning money?

Any idiot can learn a trade. But some people are interested in an education.
Any idiot can learn a trade? Wow. Shows utter contempt and lack of knowledge on your part!

Old 04-22-2017, 03:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Harvard tells students gender can 'change from day to day'

Biologists and psychologists everywhere cry. Gender studies courses are cancer. As are activist ridden academic bodies. Authoritarian feelings doctrine that makes a mockery of science and reality.

Can race and gender change daily depending on the benefits and handouts that week?

Or is there a hierarchy in privilege?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies