Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 11:07 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times

Advertisements

So tell me.

For those of you that live in the "rustbelt" and are open to vote for democrats. What type of platform would you like to see the from the democrats/Democratic Party going forward? Please be as specific and detail as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 11:28 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
So tell me.

For those of you that live in the "rustbelt" and are open to vote for democrats. What type of platform would you like to see the from the democrats/Democratic Party going forward? Please be as specific and detail as possible.
Seriously? History shows that this thread will just go into a mocking, name calling and denial thread since you won't like what we say. So should I stay silent and continue to speak with my vote.

You refused to listen then, why now?

Old 04-22-2017, 11:29 AM

When we tell you something isn't working (Obamacare and high taxes), we mean it's isn't working but instead Dems only tactics is name calling and denial when we said what you didn't want to hear.

I grew up around moderate Democrats and they see it the same way. Democrats have been taken over by extremist. I like Joe Manchin but with the Democratic politicians (Pelosi, Warren, Schumer, Durbin etc) I don't see that he would be able to bring moderation to the party. I'm not into political correctness aka totalitarian mind control. And after eight years of Obama and his extreme left policies and too many extremist (progressives and liberals) remaining in the party I doubt i'll be voting Democrat for a long time.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:31 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Bernie's New Deal platform is pretty much spot on.

Get big money out of politics and have publicly funded elections, Medicare-for-all, strengthen labor rights like paid vacation time and paid overtime and sick leave, break up the big banks, scrap the cap on income subject to SS tax, $15 minimum wage by 2020, ban for-profit prisons and massively strengthen unions.

If someone like a Tulsi Gabbard/Sherrod Brown ticket ran on this platform, I think it would be a slam dunk.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:35 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When we tell you something isn't working (Obamacare and high taxes), we mean it's isn't working but instead Dems only tactics is name calling and denial when we said what you didn't want to hear.

I grew up around moderate Democrats and they see it the same way. Democrats have been taken over by extremist. I like Joe Manchin but with the Democratic politicians (Pelosi, Warren, Schumer, Durbin etc) I don't see that he would be able to bring moderation to the party. I'm not into political correctness aka totalitarian mind control. And after eight years of Obama and his extreme left policies and too many extremist (progressives and liberals) remaining in the party I doubt i'll be voting Democrat for a long time.
In other words, you want the Democrats to support racism and intolerance.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Bernie's New Deal platform is pretty much spot on.

Get big money out of politics and have publicly funded elections, Medicare-for-all, strengthen labor rights like paid vacation time and paid overtime and sick leave, break up the big banks, scrap the cap on income subject to SS tax, $15 minimum wage by 2020, ban for-profit prisons and massively strengthen unions.
There are two things...

Scrap Income Cap: Question.... The maximum monthly Social Security benefit at full retirement age will be $2,687 per month in 2017. If you remove the income cap is the Social Security benefit cap going to be removed too?

$15 Minimum Wage: I pay for home health care $12 an hour for my mom in hospice so we can keep her home. If minimum wage goes up to $15 an hour, I'll have to fire the girls and place mom in a nursing home. This is only one situation where people will lose their jobs. Another question is so what do you do with the people who have some education or put in time and currently make $15 an hour?

Old 04-22-2017, 11:43 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
Normal stuff. Jobs, low taxes, law and order, judges who follow the law instead of basing decisions on their own personal feelings, enforcing our immigration laws, fighting terrorism, not having an election strategy that depends on having fewer white people in the country.

Which is why I vote Republican.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:45 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
There are two things I disagree with.

Scrap the income cap: The amount of social security one gets is capped, are you going to remove that cap on the amount of SS you get too?

$15 Minimum Wage: I pay for home health care $12 an hour for my mom in hospice so we can keep her home. If minimum wage goes up to $15 an hour, I'll have to fire the girls that work for me and place mom in a nursing home. This is only one situation where people will lose their jobs. Another question is so what do you do with the people who have some education or put in time and now make $15 an hour? People will lose jobs.
Scrap the SS income cap: It would be scrapped just like the Medicare tax cap was scrapped. Medicare benefits are not directly proportional to what you pay into the system, so SS should work similarly.

$15 minimum wage by 2020: With an expanded Medicare-for-all, the elderly will get much more support, including home health aides and nursing homes.

Those who make $15 an hour now? They will make more in 2020 when the minimum wage is $15. Not only because of inflation and income growth from now until 2020, but as a result of improved bargaining power as the wage floor is lifted to $15 an hour.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:45 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
So tell me.

Well, since the rustbelt used to be pretty solidly Blue I'd suggest to returning to the democratic party of the 1980s' or before. You know, the time when they weren't economic Republicans.

Off-shoring manufacturing.

On-shoring cheap illegal labor to suppress blue collar labor wages.

Just read the posts around here the last 5+ years. The democrat posters have bragged that they will dominate in the future because they're going to get all the "brown voters" and that anyone white complaining is just racist and you can't figure out why you lost the rust belt? Really?

Much of my family is blue collar, heavily democratic, and you talk to them and they all know they've been betrayed. Then you try to support Sanders and Clinton cheats him out of a fair shot and THEN when she gets caught it's spun as a "russian conspiracy". No, it's effing not. They may have hacked the emails but YOU STILL CHEATED BERNIE.

Oh well, just keep doing what you're doing I guess....it's working out Soooooo well for you.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Scrap the SS income cap: It would be scrapped just like the Medicare tax cap was scrapped. Medicare benefits are not directly proportional to what you pay into the system, so SS should work similarly.
So what would you do about taxation of Social Security, would the taxation change too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies