Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 08:06 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The importance of science is something that almost everyone agrees on. Organizers of this march have done harm to the cause of scientific inquiry and progress by politicizing it and tying it to their stupid, sex/racist SJW causes.
You can tie yourself up in logical knots all you want, but it's nearly impossible to make a logical conclusion that Republicans are the party of science. Which party wants to end stem cell research, which party put a gag order on scientists, which party is trying to teach creationism in science classes.

Hint: it isn't the evil commie leftists or whatever you people call us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 08:29 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
You can tie yourself up in logical knots all you want...
No, thanks, I'll just continue with observations on the topic if that's all right with you.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:36 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Al Gore disciples .... lol

Old 04-22-2017, 08:58 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I like science... I know if I mix a few household chemicals together I can mix it in a bottle and throw it and leave a crater in the ground 2 feet deep 5 feet in diameter. Thats chemistry.

I also like to be able to use a pen and piece of paper to calculate windage and elevation adjustments. Thats physics and math-triggernometry. Religion I have faith I will put a hole in the target 1000-1500 yards out for the 338 Lapua bullet costs $6.40 each... Science provided the optic that can withstand that recoil, and remain true...

Theres also physics and geometry when I built engines for my stock cars. Can calculate piston speed, compression ratio, engine displacement, valve clearance to piston face... Religion provides me with faith that I wouldn't have a bomb on the other side of the firewall, and that I'd win. Went 4 seasons on the same engine only having to replace worn valve springs.

Science and religion can coexist. Both have theory that can be tested and debated. Nothing wrong with having faith in your scientific ability. Nothing wrong with not having it either... I don't understand either side of the debate...
No they don't. Religion can be debated but not tested. Only science can be tested and the results observed.

There's nothing wrong with faith. People are free to believe what they want. But when it comes to proving a theory or a belief in something, the argument must be backed up with observable evidence. To date none of the religious have provided even the tiniest shred of evidence to back up their claims of, for example, a "creator" making this planet. Not one. On the other hand, there are volumes of concrete, observable evidence that say this world is 4+ billion years old and life evolved slowly over eons. No creator needed.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:15 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
They are fighting to make people believe in climate change.

A mentally challenged idiot knows the climate changes.

Makes one wonder who the idiots truly are.
Of course climate changes. That is just nature. But man have made the environment worse with all their pollution and toxic waste. I truly believe we are destroying this earth that god gave us because some of you don't give a damn. No, not idiots. They want to preserve our planet for future generations. I have to tell you that in my state I have never seen the winds destroy so much property. We have never had winds like this. If we don't take care of our home then it won't be our home anymore.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:39 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
My father was a scientist and in aerospace in DC and Florida but he was in academia as well and its amazing how much of the research money in parts of academia comes from defense spending, look at the history of nasa, silicon valley, , darpa and on and on. Anyone who says the military is liberal is insane.

Why dont these liberal far left scientists reject defense research money and make a real stand against trump and the military

Look at the history of silicon valley https://www.ft.com/content/8c0152d2-...b-00144feab7de

"All of modern high tech has the US Department of Defense to thank at its core, because this is where the money came from to be able to develop a lot of what is driving the technology that we’re using today,” said Leslie Berlin, historian for the Silicon Valley Archives at Stanford University."

Some may hate trump but they want that research money even if its from the hated President Trump and the military

How about the glories of the social sciences like sociology and demography, what an amazing job they have done looking at our cities and these government program created ghettos in the inner cities and massive segregation and social problems. I saw that during Charles Murray bell curve debates what hypocrites and cowards some scientists are.

Do these leftist scientists send their kids to public schools?

DC schools are 5% white , Boston public schools are 13 % white, NYC is less than 10% white and also one of the most segregated in the country. Black students are most segregated in the Northeast, 14% of LA county public schools are white and segregation is some of the worst in the country in California schools, San Francisco county is 13.9% white . Maryland is some of the most segregated in the country outside of DC where I grew up.

Last edited by floridanative10; 04-22-2017 at 09:52 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 10:46 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Another funny sign I saw:

"No Science No Beer"

Old 04-23-2017, 09:03 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
No they don't. Religion can be debated but not tested. Only science can be tested and the results observed.

There's nothing wrong with faith. People are free to believe what they want. But when it comes to proving a theory or a belief in something, the argument must be backed up with observable evidence. To date none of the religious have provided even the tiniest shred of evidence to back up their claims of, for example, a "creator" making this planet. Not one. On the other hand, there are volumes of concrete, observable evidence that say this world is 4+ billion years old and life evolved slowly over eons. No creator needed.
How come religion can't be tested? Dont priests and scientists profess a theory? Is it due to being afraid of being proven wrong?

So why can't the theories be tested? Hmm?

I'll surely catch hell from both sides of the aisle.
(I'm Catholic if it matters.)

Why can't they coexist?

Old 04-23-2017, 09:25 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Of course climate changes. That is just nature. But man have made the environment worse with all their pollution and toxic waste. I truly believe we are destroying this earth that god gave us because some of you don't give a damn. No, not idiots. They want to preserve our planet for future generations. I have to tell you that in my state I have never seen the winds destroy so much property. We have never had winds like this. If we don't take care of our home then it won't be our home anymore.
Then where is the EPA Environmental Protection
Agency
doing anything to combat or reverse these man made effects... Fines and taxes don't solve anything. If the bureaucracy served its purpose water and air would be pristine... But to remain relevant to extort money, they function to place fines as a "punishment"

I don't buy it for one minute that C02 which is denser than oxygen, hangs up in the various spheres of the planet. Even if you consider atmospheric pressures at various altitudes, the effects of various forms of heat(solar radiation for one example) etc. Green house effect, build a glass shed 12x12. Allow the sunlight to be concentrated. Add fine mist of water to the air to water whatever you wish to grow. Tell me how hot it is. Compare the rate a 5lb block of ice evaporates in a dry glass shed vs a humid glass shed. Theres your polar ice cap melting theory...

Latent heat effect. There's a reason why folks in the north east humidify the air in their homes in the winter... Especially if they run electric heaters... Ever been in a room with an electric heater, get the room to say 70° and shut it off? Cools down fast. Humidify it, the room stays warmer longer.

Theres also a reason why when you run an air conditioner that water vapor collects around the evaporator...
Surely if C02 were the main culprit to global warming, we'd all be dead from asphyxiation due to plumbing C02 in our houses to keep the air warm or to insulate the air from escaping like an insulator at a molecular level...

I'm sure if C02 were the main culprit, algore and leonardo wouldnt be flying jets to give speeches and recieve awards via private jet releasing tons of C02 at a time...

Old 04-23-2017, 10:32 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,165,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I don't buy it for one minute that C02 which is denser than oxygen, hangs up in the various spheres of the planet.
The fact that you typed this here on C-D is proof that CO2 mixes at all altitudes. You and I are both alive because turbulence, wind and mixing keeps the CO2 from sinking to the bottom.

Excess CO2 causing global warming is just basic, well-proven science. Sunlight warms rocks, streets and buildings. As they cool, infrared radiation is released. CO2 is opaque in the infrared and traps heat that otherwise would escape into space. As CO2 in the air goes up, more heat is trapped on Earth, Earth warms up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies