Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 12:50 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
When the last bill failed I thought Trump said he was going to move on to other things? now they are back pushing another bill, so soon.
The Republicans need the money they'll get from taking health insurance away from millions and millions of middle and lower class Americans so they can give it to the one percenters in big, fat, juicy tax cuts that they do not need. Priorities, you understand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 01:36 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
When the last bill failed I thought Trump said he was going to move on to other things? now they are back pushing another bill, so soon.
The health care bill is priority because it reduces benefits and frees up government cash to spend on the other more important (to the GOP) agenda items.
The GOP healthcare bill has nothing to do with improving healthcare - it's just a means to an end.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:50 PM

25,731 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Mandated tax breaks for the wealth, colluding every bill with their special interest or they clog it up, spending money on what they want, and whining about everything else.
Tax"breaks" for the wealthy? Which breaks would those be? Could you point them out? What are the "wealthy" not paying that the middle or lower class are?

Unless you are for something akin to the "fair tax" proposal, you are not for equitable tax across society and "pay for services rendered" at all. You are simply for wealth distribution from the productive to the non-productive. Because, let me tell you something, I am not rich AT ALL. i make around 18 K per year. But I MAKE IT MYSELF. I don't scrounge it off from somebody else. That means something to me. And that's the way I decided it would be. My choice. I don't expect anyone else, rich or poor, to pay my bills for me. I am not for tax breaks for ANYONE. Either a flat percentage tax with no exceptions for ANYONE, or a "fair tax" based on consumption would be the way to go. There is no justification for punishing those who are more productive than the next guy.

You live in an inequitable world and you are trying to pretend it's equitable. It cannot be and never will. There is a wide variation in IQ, physical strength, talent, will, desire, etc, etc, etc, and no matter how much you want to think that we are all the same, we never will be. The idea of the founding of this country is not that we are all the same--only that none of us have power over the choices of others. Which, unfortunately for those of us who believe that, is exactly the opposite of the liberal mindset.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:15 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Still write super long post?
I am not going to take responsibility for ones short attention span, nor limited comprehension.

Thanks for demonstrating the typical demeanor of how and why Republican can play right wingers like a yo yo, and back them up to a stump. So, one likely would fair better to complain about something else, and remain prepared for the stump. Trump should get around to servicing one soon enough.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:26 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Tax"breaks" for the wealthy? Which breaks would those be? Could you point them out? What are the "wealthy" not paying that the middle or lower class are? (read more) Right wing media has blinded your awareness. Guess you ignored the more than 900 million Trump wrote off to avoid paying taxes; but I'm sure you support that craziness 100%... as most Far Right Republicans do.

Unless you are for something akin to the "fair tax" proposal, you are not for equitable tax across society and "pay for services rendered" at all. You are simply for wealth distribution from the productive to the non-productive. Because, let me tell you something, I am not rich AT ALL. i make around 18 K per year. But I MAKE IT MYSELF. I don't scrounge it off from somebody else. That means something to me. And that's the way I decided it would be. My choice. I don't expect anyone else, rich or poor, to pay my bills for me. I am not for tax breaks for ANYONE. Either a flat percentage tax with no exceptions for ANYONE, or a "fair tax" based on consumption would be the way to go. There is no justification for punishing those who are more productive than the next guy. (Sound like you are repeating some of the Republican Designed commentary that the wealthy have used for decades and centuries. Maybe you might even want to go back and learn why Teddy Roosevelt took actions long ago).

You live in an inequitable world and you are trying to pretend it's equitable. It cannot be and never will. There is a wide variation in IQ, physical strength, talent, will, desire, etc, etc, etc, and no matter how much you want to think that we are all the same, we never will be. The idea of the founding of this country is not that we are all the same--only that none of us have power over the choices of others. Which, unfortunately for those of us who believe that, is exactly the opposite of the liberal mindset.
Democracy says "one man, one vote", Majority Rule. We also live in a "society", which is a national community made up of many states and what is within them, we also have a community that is built with a sensibility of regard for "humanity". We have a governance system that has within its designs the structures to help support the standards it claims as a community as nation.
Those things might not mean anything to you... since you have that "every man is an island unto himself mentality".

Gods premise existed long before America, and it said:
Our Tax system has a part from Luke 12:48 For unto whomever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.
The founders who crafted this system, understood that very well!!! that's why they created a graduated income taxation system, and not a flat tax system.

Maybe you should learn more about the development of the Income Tax system. then you might grasp why tax rates were designed to differ for higher income. If you don't grasp that, that's on you....

I've had higher income and paid the tax to go with it, and I still respect the things this nations does and provides for society as a whole.

You can grand stand all you want, under some delusions that you did everything yourself. That only tells how unaware you are. It is government paid infrastructure you ride on every time you get in your vehicle and it pays for building such by taxation. If you prefer dirt roads, there are regions where it might be more suitable to establish ones self.
I like that the street lights come on, that I can trust the food I eat, I don't have to have a vehicle that functions below minimum federal standards, I like that sidewalks exist, parks exist, and many many many many things which if you don't know what they are, I won't waste time listing them.

Maybe you should go read about Trump and his ATTACK on American Workers. then ask yourself some questions so you understand the damages of many american when they can no longer get health care.

National Poverty Guidelines.
Then factor in:
The cost of house payment/rent (don't forget the general upkeep %)
Food and personal care items
Vehicle, Fuel, Insurance or (Bus Pass)
Utilities
Clothing
Medical Insurance (Co-Payments)
Medicine (Co-Payments)
the internet you are using also is not free
Public interactions to patronize other business, that they may survive, employ and prosper.
Tax, Federal, State and Local

Unless ones house is empty furniture cost money
one either cuts their own lawn a pay someone, (or push the old manual blade mower) or does not maintain their lawn.
IF one has a relationship, there is expense associated
Communication device, whether land line or cell
then if one is aware, they might care to have enough left to save.

Now, if people don't patronize business, then nothing works, so there has to be income suitable to do that, or eventually, what results is "ghost towns", (of which there are "NOW" many across the country.)

How many houses do you see that go unpainted for decades, broke down cars littering the lawns and streets because people can't repair it when it breaks.

Most people don't care to live in a empty apt, or empty house.

There is such a thing in "America" called "Quality of Life Basics" and "Quality of Life Standards" (which ever you choose to consider.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 04-23-2017 at 04:57 PM..

Old 04-23-2017, 04:54 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,239 times
At least there is one advantage for the republicans to be in charge of government.... whatever they come up with, they own it

Old 04-23-2017, 04:56 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
uh oh -- kind of overheard news of Republican politicians not liking this new one. ( I was puttering in the kitchen, missed the meat of the discussion but got this whiff).

Here we go again........

Old 04-23-2017, 04:58 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
uh oh -- kind of overheard news of Republican politicians not liking this new one. ( I was puttering in the kitchen, missed the meat of the discussion but got this whiff).

Here we go again........
Funny, the left needed to go "Nuclear" (that means 51 votes to pass) and and the left wonders why we are where we are at, at this point in time......

Old 04-23-2017, 05:00 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
They only expect more, all the while offering only the middle finger in return for being so picked on. There are the truly needy by no fault of their own, and then there are the other ninety-nine percent who game the system in order to avoid any responsibility and so that they may spend their entire lives in a chemical-induced stupor.
I'm going to have to disagree with your statistic of ninety nine percent being gamers. Stuff happens, and I know a lot of good people who have needed help.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:05 PM

25,731 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Maybe you should learn more about the development of the Income Tax system. then you might grasp why tax rates were designed to differ for higher income. If you don't grasp that, that's on you....

I've had higher income and paid the tax to go with it, and I still respect the things this nations does and provides for society as a whole.

You can grand stand all you want, under some delusions that you did everything yourself. That only tells how unaware you are. It is government paid infrastructure you ride on every time you get in your vehicle and it pays for building such by taxation. If you prefer dirt roads, there are regions where it might be more suitable to establish ones self.
I like that the street lights come on, that I can trust the food I eat, I don't have to have a vehicle that functions below minimum federal standards, I like that sidewalks exist, parks exist, and many many many many things which if you don't know what they are, I won't waste time listing them.

Maybe you should go read about Trump and his ATTACK on American Workers.
I work for a government entity, my friend. And you know what I see? I see a group of people (an entire institution, for that matter) who put in a couple of hours of actual work per day at best and are grossly overpaid for doing it. I have no reason to believe that it's any different in any other government controlled enterprise. Government is great when you're on their gravy train, eh?

Lastly, the reason percentage tax rates imposed are higher for the rich is simply to punish the rich. It certainly isn't because they use more government services. They use less. We live in a society where the least productive citizens are rewarded with the most booty. and the most productive provide the least productive with that booty. If that's cool with you, so be it. But I see it as profoundly flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies