Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:37 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCT View Post
Women don't give a crap about machines or computers beyond how it serves them. If anyone can honestly say they know a woman that picked out, bought and built her own computer all on her own without any help from a husband, boyfriend, or guy friend PM me your PayPal address and I will send you $10.
I never have, but I bet you a cookie I could learn how if I wanted to. You pay for the parts, and no, I will not be giving you my PayPal information. While I'm working, you can FedEx me a sandwich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:20 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Somebody is poisoning her mind. I guess saying " You can be anything you want to be" just wasn't much of a political sentiment.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:51 AM

20,335 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Since women are now the vast majority in college with the exception of stem, what the hell should men be doing?
Looking for a mate with a hot body and a big paycheck

Old 04-24-2017, 08:24 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Leading tech schools have far fewer female than male applicants but admit a much higher percentage of them.

How to get your daughter into a world-famous college - The Unz Review

Old 04-24-2017, 08:48 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
On NPR during some of their coverage of Earth Day a young girl said "Just because I am a girl why can't I become a scientist?"

I realize that there are sexist people, but do girls really think that in 2017 USA women "can't" become scientists? Yes, more men go into science, but women can and do go into science.

It seems like a lot of colleges and corporations want to offer them gender-based-scholarships or specifically hire women scientists.

It is not like we are one of the countries that actively excludes women legal access to college.

You Won't Believe How Many Countries Still Won't Allow Women The Right To Education

I worry that if this false notion that much of US society thinks "women can't become scientists" is widely perceived then it will in fact have negative impacts throughout society.
NPR, Earth Day, young girl, all in one sentence. Nuff said.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:24 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
She was coached to say that, as are many children.

I seriously doubt anyone told her she cannot be a scientist because she is a girl, only her parents filled her head with the "world is against you because of your sex" nonsense.
The Leftists are all about an Indoctrination Program of Victimhood. This little girl is their Victim.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:00 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
This is what the little girl, and NPR, were likely talking about. A man wouldn't be asked to prove such a thing, but a woman is in 2017. She's asked here, in interviews, at school, etc. The fact that so many of you do not understand this perpetuates the problem.
Indeed. Thank you Cassy

Old 04-24-2017, 12:26 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Prove it. What are the current specs of your computer and where did you get the parts?
I got the case at TigerDirect, though I primarily shop at Newegg.

Cougar Evolution full tower case
AMD FX 8120 (ram)
ASUS M5A99FX (mobo)
Corsair Vengeance (DDR3) 1600
Seagate 1 TB SATA 3 HD
EVGA GeForce GT 630 (gpu)
Corsair TX850 (psu)

Sadly, I had to sell it to pay rent, I'm on a laptop now.

Now what?

Old 04-24-2017, 12:40 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Women don't give a crap about machines or computers beyond how it serves them. If anyone can honestly say they know a woman that picked out, bought and built her own computer all on her own without any help from a husband, boyfriend, or guy friend PM me your PayPal address and I will send you $10.
I haven't built one completely from scratch, but I have installed upgrades on my own. I also know what I want and need in a computer and *gasp* shop for them myself. Sometimes I do ask a dude for advice if I am in the mood, but I am very capable of shopping and buying them on my own.

I am going to hopefully buy a new laptop next year (I am rough on them...work from home online ) and I will do the research and so on. It will be for my own business, so I don't anticipate my husband having any input.

I am currently in the market for a game capture device and buying that myself. I grew up playing video games in the 1980s. My mom was the one who bought it, and she still games too. I have been gaming since before many guy gamers were even born. Gonna start doing gameplay on YouTube.

Oh, I do also have a science type degree (started in microbiology and switched to horticulture) I taught myself how to do some home repairs as needed.

Don't shove all women in a box, yo.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:43 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
On NPR during some of their coverage of Earth Day a young girl said "Just because I am a girl why can't I become a scientist?"

I realize that there are sexist people, but do girls really think that in 2017 USA women "can't" become scientists? Yes, more men go into science, but women can and do go into science.

It seems like a lot of colleges and corporations want to offer them gender-based-scholarships or specifically hire women scientists.

It is not like we are one of the countries that actively excludes women legal access to college.

You Won't Believe How Many Countries Still Won't Allow Women The Right To Education

I worry that if this false notion that much of US society thinks "women can't become scientists" is widely perceived then it will in fact have negative impacts throughout society.
She most likely has leftist parents who have said more than once to her "You can be whatever you want honey, don't let them tell you you can't"

She is then left wondering "who is them and why would they tell me that I can't?"

Btw, the freer and more opportunistic the nation is, the fewer the women in that nation go into the STEM fields. They simply choose differently.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 04-24-2017 at 12:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies