Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:25 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times

Advertisements

Rural Texans favor building the wall by 51%, according to this poll.
83% of all Texans support increased border security.
More of all Texans oppose Sanctuary Cities than support them, and the opposition to sanctuary cities would be in the 60% range if not for 18-29 year old poll participants who strongly support sanctuary cities.

Thanks for posting this poll, OP. I found it very interesting reading.

Here is the link to the raw data if anyone's interested:

http://www.texaslyceum.org/resources...0Crosstabs.pdf

Last edited by texan2yankee; 04-24-2017 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 09:35 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
3.1%.

It's still only 610 people that favored it. That represents about 2 movie theaters. It's not many people.

That is the way polls work and they tend to be pretty accurate. Contrary to popular belief the final Presidential polls were not that far off.

The wall was nice symbolic speech but to actually build it is foolhardy.

One word, e-verify.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:44 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
You should familiarize yourself with how polls and statics work. The 1000 people is what is called a sample size which, if done right is representative of whole the population. What, did you think when they run these polls they call millions of people to find out how they think about an issue?
Millions of people is different than 1,000 people. And they may not even be likely voters.

I read their methodology. They called 50% cell phone users. They may not even be citizens.

From April 3-9, 2017, The Texas Lyceum conducted a statewide telephone survey of adult citizens. The survey utilized a stratified probability sample design, with respondents being randomly selected at the level of the household. The survey also employed a randomized cell phone supplement, with 50 percent of completed interviews being conducted among cell phone only or cell phone dominant households. A Spanish-language instrument was developed and bilingual interviewers offered respondents a chance to participate in English or Spanish. On average, respondents completed the interview in 17 minutes. Approximately 6,100 records were drawn to yield 1,000 completed interviews. The final data set is weighted by race/ethnicity, age and gender to achieve representativeness as defined by the Texas Department State Health Services 2017 population projections. The overall margin of error for the poll is +/- 3.1 percentage points.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:40 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Rural Texans favor building the wall by 51%, according to this poll.
83% of all Texans support increased border security.
More of all Texans oppose Sanctuary Cities than support them, and the opposition to sanctuary cities would be in the 60% range if not for 18-29 year old poll participants who strongly support sanctuary cities.

Thanks for posting this poll, OP. I found it very interesting reading.

Here is the link to the raw data if anyone's interested:

I"m not sure you are reading that correctly, sometimes crosstabs are confusing:

"First, we asked respondents, in a repeat from the 2016 Poll, whether they favor or oppose building a wall along the U.S. - Mexico border. Overall, opinions remained essentially unchanged from 2016, when 35% favored building the wall with 59% opposed. This year, 35% again favored building the wall with 61% in opposition. There were few notable changes, save for a slight increase in the share of Texas Hispanics who said that they would be in favor of building the wall (from 18% in 2016 to 25% in 2017)." http://www.texaslyceum.org/resources...%20Summary.pdf

Old 04-24-2017, 11:46 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The denial here^ is sooo sad.

He PROMISED you a big wall was going to be built on our southern border and that MEXICO WAS GOING TO PAY FOR IT.

LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
This quote folks, is City-Data Winning 101. When you drown somebody with factual statements, and they can't refute anything you said, so they quote you with a response that completely changes the subject ....

THAT is when you know you've won the argument.
So, neither of you can understand that polls have become both politicized and highly questionable?

I guess as long as they fit your political agenda, you're on board.

When a person on CD posted that polls indicated Trumps support was increasing from something like 38% to 42%,, I was the first one responding with "Polls, lol". I have no faith in them regardless.

I'm guessing y'all love any echo chamber poll. No wonder advertising is so affective.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I"m not sure you are reading that correctly, sometimes crosstabs are confusing:

"First, we asked respondents, in a repeat from the 2016 Poll, whether they favor or oppose building a wall along the U.S. - Mexico border. Overall, opinions remained essentially unchanged from 2016, when 35% favored building the wall with 59% opposed. This year, 35% again favored building the wall with 61% in opposition. There were few notable changes, save for a slight increase in the share of Texas Hispanics who said that they would be in favor of building the wall (from 18% in 2016 to 25% in 2017)." http://www.texaslyceum.org/resources...%20Summary.pdf
My post above that you are referring to specifically said rural Texans not all Texans, 2sleepy.

Question 28, Pg. 153

50.83% (51%) of rural Texans favor a border wall.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:41 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My post above that you are referring to specifically said rural Texans not all Texans, 2sleepy.

Question 28, Pg. 153

50.83% (51%) of rural Texans favor a border wall.
Sorry I missed that, but I'm not sure what you think it proves? Probably a better poll question would be directed specifically at land owners in the areas where the wall is slated to be built, and I don't hear much about any of them thinking it's a good idea...
Trump promised a border wall. Now these Texans worry the government will take their land - LA Times

Trump’s Promised Border Wall Likely Means Lawsuits Involving American Landowners | KTLA

Trump budget includes eminent domain for border-wall land acquisition - Business Insider

I think sometimes campaign pledges, no matter who makes them- Dem or Republican end up being just plain awful ideas and I think this is one of those

Old 04-24-2017, 12:50 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
They voted for it so build it anyway. Take their land and make those states along the border pay for it. The wall is a joke, most people arrive by plane but Trump's ego demands a wall, preferably one with his name on it. The fastest way to end this madness is to build the wall and the anger that follows so build the wall.
hey now stop that with your common sense and stuff. Trumpers want that wall, they are scared little guys who need to hide behind walls . Without those boogeymen they would have to examine their lives, choices and options.
It is so much easier to blame everything on immigrants and muslims..

Old 04-24-2017, 01:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
hey now stop that with your common sense and stuff. Trumpers want that wall, they are scared little guys who need to hide behind walls . Without those boogeymen they would have to examine their lives, choices and options.
It is so much easier to blame everything on immigrants and muslims..
I assume you think the worst little scared guys are the military cowering behind their patrolled fences with razor wire?

Old 04-24-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sorry I missed that, but I'm not sure what you think it proves? Probably a better poll question would be directed specifically at land owners in the areas where the wall is slated to be built, and I don't hear much about any of them thinking it's a good idea...
Trump promised a border wall. Now these Texans worry the government will take their land - LA Times

Trump’s Promised Border Wall Likely Means Lawsuits Involving American Landowners | KTLA

Trump budget includes eminent domain for border-wall land acquisition - Business Insider

I think sometimes campaign pledges, no matter who makes them- Dem or Republican end up being just plain awful ideas and I think this is one of those
The statistic doesn't prove anything. It is what it is.

In general, I do think many people can be very self-righteous about a stance on an issue that doesn't at all affect their lives personally.

For example, I've seen magnanimous people very happy to support the building of a drug half-way house in another neighborhood that is 20 miles from their home. If the drug half-way house was being built next door to these magnanimous people or in their immediate neighborhood, I doubt the same support for the drug half-way house would have been extended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies