Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 09:21 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
A good point.

It's their city and if they want to remove these monuments it's their decision.
American people have been attempting to move these CSA monuments from USA public places for literally decades.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:25 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Such a shame that we can't have any respect for freedom fighters in this country. Nothing like evil libs trying to erase our proud Southern history of enslaving human beings.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:25 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
How can anyone today try to understand events that happened 150+ years ago by applying today's moral values. You can not. States rights is not the issue today it was then.

All history has to studied in context of the people that lived it. Using your miraculous '20/20 hindsight vision' just does not always mean clear understanding.

And of course I was not there but I have a library of nearly 200 books on the Civil War I have studied extensively over the past 15 years or so. I am still no expert but I do think I understand the issues of the time better than the average person. The average person is just blowing smoke and spouting rhetoric of extremism with little understanding of what actually took place.
Because we can read about them. You are right, the essence of the arrangement still comes state's rights and the right of states to nullify laws they did not like and their desire to maintain their ability to own people as slaves. As more states were being admitted to the Union, the South was also becoming concerned that maintaining the status quo between free and slaves states would soon tilt against them, and they could soon loose the right of slavery at the federal level. Those were the state's rights issues of the day that had been brewing since the 3/5 Compromise.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Such a shame that we can't have any respect for freedom fighters in this country. Nothing like evil libs trying to erase our proud Southern history of enslaving human beings.
Well ... when you put it that way. Seriously though, why is this Southern history? It's American history. The enslaving part based on race was enshrined in the Constitution of the Confederate States of America. It's Confederate American history. There is no Confederate land, their monuments belong in museums.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:04 AM

672 posts, read 698,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Some people are so sour on the south, they can't see anything but bigotry and racism. They give no credit to other peoples experiences, background and feelings. They are the ones who are closeminded and so full of themselves, I no longer want to engage with them.

And, I believe we have created a culture of victimhood that will go on forever in this country. It never seems to end, the gimme, gimme, gimme attitude. Black people are mayors, da's, policemen, business people, sheriffs, governors and we have had a black president who split this country apart. For goodness sake, statistics are that black people comprise 75 % of the working federal government. Come down to Florida and call a government agency in Tallahassee. You will get a black person. I listen to Herman Cain's radio show every morning. It's time for the high rhetoric to stop and lets get down to the business of saving our country.
This is absolutely completely false. You are getting that information from an extreme bias source with a serious agenda. If you read that type of propaganda it will undeniably poison your viewpoint. There's plenty of victimhood being passed around today from all sides.

Also, keep in mind that 55% of the black american population reside in the south. That's 20+ million people. Do their feelings count?

Old 04-26-2017, 01:48 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You keep spamming these Lincoln quotes so I'll offer my opinion: in those times that was political pandering; being anti-slavery was still a radical concept in half the country, and he was going up against Douglas, an unapologetic racist and slavery-supporter. It's convenient you quote Lincoln's remarks but not those of Douglas, with such winners as "I hold that a Negro is not and never ought to be a citizen of the United States. I hold that this government was made on the white basis; made by the white men, for the benefit of white men and their posterity forever, and should be administered by white men and none others" and "I do not regard the Negro as my equal, and positively deny that he is my brother, or any kin to me whatever."

But even then, Lincoln was a more centrist Republican compared to the Radical Republicans, such as Thaddeus Stevens and Charles Sumner who truly scared the South as they wanted blacks and whites to be equal. Your deflection on Lincoln ignores the reality of the election of a president who ran on an anti-slavery platform and forming of the CSA in less than a years' time having everything to do with slavery itself. If Lincoln did not win, or did not run on the idea of abolishing slavery, South Carolina would not have seceded a month after the election. The rest of your argument has nothing to do with the Confederacy or its reasons for forming.
Lincoln was a virulent racist and a white supremacist and we have this enormous Egyptian style god monument to him in Washington DC . The notion that the north went to war to end slavery is comical, 10 of the first 12 presidents owned slaves including Ulysses S. Grant.

There was ton of resentment of the influence and political power that the southern aristocracy and slave power held , most of Americas founding was rooted in the southern aristocracy from Washington ,Jefferson, Paine and Madison etc and would slavery be allowed out west.

The north was as rooted in white supremacy as the south was.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:50 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Lincoln was a virulent racist and a white supremacist and we have this Egyptian style god monument to him in Washington DC . The notion that the north went to war to end slavery is comical, 10 of the first 12 presidents owned slaves including Ulysses S. Grant.

There was ton of resentment of the influence and political power that the southern aristocracy and slave power held , most of Americas founding was rooted in the southern aristocracy from Washington and Jefferson, Paine and Madison and would slavery be allowed out west.

The north was as rooted in white supremacy as the south was.
You're still ignoring the main point: South Carolina announced its secession December 1860, one month after Lincoln's election. Others soon followed. What event could have possibly caused the Southern states to break away from their country so suddenly?

Old 04-26-2017, 02:18 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You're still ignoring the main point: South Carolina announced its secession December 1860, one month after Lincoln's election. Others soon followed. What event could have possibly caused the Southern states to break away from their country so suddenly?

Ignoring what main point? White supremacy was the very reason for the existence of the north,the south, the midwest and the west and all of Americas existence. The ending of slavery and the lives of blacks or any non whites was absolutely not the catalyst for the civil war.

All of America was founded on white supremacy, no more in the south than the north or midwest or the west.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:16 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Washington and Jefferson were also slave owners.
They didn't wage wars of Secession to keep slavery. The Confederate cause, however, was very explicit keeping slavery around.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
They didn't wage wars of Secession to keep slavery. The Confederate cause, however, was very explicit keeping slavery around.
Their cause was slavery based on race. Where the US Constitution was vague, the CSA Constitution made clear. Owning people as property was one of most 'hotly debated' issues at the US Constitutional Convention, compromises were made & there were folks then, just as now, who were fully cognizant of the nonsensical nature of those compromises along with the agreement to deny the ridiculousness.

Slavery ended with the American Civil War, white supremacy did not. Groups like the White League, KKK et al formed to ensure the cause of racial supremacy would continue. When they could no longer preserve & expand slavery, they continued on with the focus of the cause now changed to preserving & expanding their white supremacist ideology, policies, ... .

Quote:
...When I had left camp that morning I had not expected so soon the result that was then taking place, and consequently was in rough garb. I was without a sword, as I usually was when on horseback on the field, and wore a soldier’s blouse for a coat, with the shoulder straps of my rank to indicate to the army who I was. When I went into the house I found General Lee. We greeted each other, and after shaking hands took our seats. I had my staff with me, a good portion of whom were in the room during the whole of the interview. 10

What General Lee’s feelings were I do not know. As he was a man of much dignity, with an impassible face, it was impossible to say whether he felt inwardly glad that the end had finally come, or felt sad over the result, and was too manly to show it. Whatever his feelings, they were entirely concealed from my observation; but my own feelings, which had been quite jubilant on the receipt of his letter, were sad and depressed. I felt like anything rather than rejoicing at the downfall of a foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse. I do not question, however, the sincerity of the great mass of those who were opposed to us. ...
Ulysses S. Grant (1822–85). Personal Memoirs. 1885–86.

http://www.bartleby.com/1011/67.html

(1 down, 3 to go)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies