Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 01:58 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookSearcher View Post
Still beating this dead horse huh? Who knew it takes 21 pages to make yourselves feel better about destroying history...
I'll keep beating the dead horse until those who are pro-Confederate admit that the CSA was wrong.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:03 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
...The Confederate soldiers were loyal to THEIR government....get it right.
Their government was the U.S.A. Those soldiers were traitors.

Quote:

Amusing since the USA as a country came to be BECAUSE of secession. ....
You really need to read up on your history.

We were a colony of England, not a part of England.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:05 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'll keep beating the dead horse until those who are pro-Confederate admit that the CSA was wrong.
That could be a while.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
That could be a while.
Well, we'll have to keep blasting it from the airwaves. We're here to hold a mirror up to everyone's face. We know the truth. The truth is out there. We have resources to show the truth.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
You are an extremist therefore opinion doesn't matter. Oh and to be a TRAITOR you would have to have loyalty to the government to begin with. The Confederate soldiers were loyal to THEIR government....get it right.
Telling the truth is not being an extremist. The Confederate levied war against this country, on US soil. They were traitors.

Quote:
Yes it is. Guess the leftists here don't comprehend those that IGNORE history are doomed to repeat it...I mean I am all for it repeating its self...maybe this time those of us with arms will defeat the marxist leftist forces.
Honoring the dishonorable is ignoring history. History shows that we should never honor Confederates. Levying secession and war in the name of keeping slavery. No honor should be paid to such persons. Remember that part of history as it is, a dark time in USA history.

Quote:
Amusing since the USA as a country came to be BECAUSE of secession.....LOL....
Except we were colonies, not a full part of the UK. States imply being a full member. And secession from Britain had nothing to do with slavery. CSA secession, however, was due in large part, as a last bid to keep slavery

Old 04-27-2017, 03:49 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Yes it is.
You think the Poles are likely to forget the bad times they had under Soviet rule because they don't keep the Soviet statues in the town squares? Really?

Or look to Germany. No country is more obsessed with its criminal past than Germany, yet their statues depict the sorrow of war and the horrors inflicted. They remember the victims of their grandfathers' folly and that's the worthwhile lesson.

Quote:
Guess the leftists here don't comprehend those that IGNORE history are doomed to repeat it...
It's simply not a case of ignoring history, no matter how hard you mash caps-lock. Statues that honor those who fought for an ignoble case belong in museums, not in places of honor. In fact, that is what museums are for - storing artifacts that are no longer reflective of current times.

Of course, for some Southerners, it's a nice little middle finger directed at their black population, a quick reminder who's in charge. Rather like the sudden interest in flying the CSA battle flag from government buildings in the 50s and 60s.

The Confederate soldiers fought - in many cases, fought hard and well - for a deeply immoral cause. That should call for reflection, regret and pity - not heroic depictions. The historic lesson is to not run off to war because a bunch of old aristocratic farts are afraid of their investment portfolios.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:13 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
Quote:
Telling the truth is not being an extremist. The Confederate levied war against this country, on US soil. They were traitors.

Honoring the dishonorable is ignoring history. History shows that we should never honor Confederates. Levying secession and war in the name of keeping slavery. No honor should be paid to such persons. Remember that part of history as it is, a dark time in USA history.

Except we were colonies, not a full part of the UK. States imply being a full member. And secession from Britain had nothing to do with slavery. CSA secession, however, was due in large part, as a last bid to keep slavery
All of the American colonies had slavery and in no colony were free blacks treated as equals under law, 18 0f the first 20 american presidents ,including ulysses s grant owned slaves, and it was considered an act of treason by Great Britain .

If anyone think the civil war was fought to end slavery thats absolutely false, it was a war between white supremacists

Lincoln did not wage war on his own citizens to free the slaves; he says that the sole cause of the war was the dispute over the extension of slavery into the new territories. Lincoln and the Republican Party were indeed opposed to that, citing two reasons:

1) They wanted to preserve the territories as the exclusive domain of “free white labor” to use Lincoln’s exact words; and

2) to reduce the congressional representation of the Democratic Party, since at that time every five slaves counted as three persons in the census for the purpose of determining how many congressional representatives each state would have.

Even the Emancipation Proclamation only applied to “rebel territory,” where the U.S. government had no ability what so ever to free anyone, while the slave states of Maryland, Delaware, Kentucky, and West Virginia, all a part of the Northern Union were exempted.

I dont believe the American union is any more sacred or workable than the European Union, their is probably more hostility between red and blue states and counties than there was in a pre mass media age between the blue and grey.

The actual reason of why the Southern states seceded is also entirely separate from the question of why there was a war. Lincoln made it very clear on why there was a war: To destroy the voluntary union of the founding fathers and replace it with a coerced, Soviet-style EU style "union" held together by murder, mayhem, the bombing and burning of entire cities, the pillage, and plunder of the civilian population, and everlasting threats of doing the same should any state in the future contemplate leaving this phony “mystical” union.

From the civi war on its been the growth of this massive war state, after the civil war it was teddy roosevelt and "tally ho" , we are invading puerto rico and the spanish american war , the the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii began with a coup d'état against Queen Liliuokalani and american imperialism from central America to korea to vietnam and interventionism all over while we cant even protect our own borders.

Our founding fathers saw us a collection of states who avoided foreign entanglements. Our first president Washington said in his Farewell Address that we might “trust to temporary alliances” in extraordinary emergencies, he added, “It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world.”

Alliances, Washington believed, were transmission belts of war. Yet no nation in history has handed out so many war guarantees to so many “allies” on so many continents, as has the United States. we are protecting nations from north korea

To honor commitments to the Baltic States, we have moved U.S. troops to the Russian border. To prevent China from annexing disputed rocks and reefs in the South and East China Seas, our Navy is prepared to go to war — to back the territorial claims of Tokyo and Manila. From north korea to nato its just perpetual preparation for war when thats not what our country was founded on

Last edited by floridanative10; 04-27-2017 at 04:22 PM..

Old 04-27-2017, 06:46 PM

234 posts, read 122,734 times
Quote:
Well enjoy that you will certainly have your self entertained! Will never happen I am not in the habit of saying I am wrong when I am in fact RIGHT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Their government was the U.S.A. Those soldiers were traitors.

You really need to read up on your history.

We were a colony of England, not a part of England.
Nope it wasn't. Their government was the Confederate States of America. Public schools are doing a really horrible job of actually TEACHING children. Thank goodness there are books that explain the truth out there.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:01 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
True. Confederates did nothing for America, other than tear the nation apart. They don't deserve honor.
What would America be today without the South? We are the best part of this nation and always will be because we have class and honor. Anyone who does not understand those statues represent part of American history are just ignorant classless people. I see a lot of this ignorance and lack of class on this forum.

I am a Tar Heel born,
A Tar Heel bred,
And when I die,
I'll be a Tar Heel dead.

Watch March madness and see where the best people live.

Speaking of tearing down and think about who is doing it. You tried to burn us out and kill us but we are still here and better than most of the rest of the USA still. We must be the best. My county has been one of the fastest growing counties in America for about 10 or more years. We made the list again this year. We don't need any of those coming here but we are nice whether we like them or not.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:02 PM

672 posts, read 699,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
You have no idea where I am getting my info. And, yes, their feelings count but everything with them is so extreme, seems to be a smash and burn mentality with some.....to what end ?

I have to leave my computer but I will look up some statistics when I return tomorrow.
I couldn't link anything on my original post, since I posted from my phone.

I'll take the liberty and do the research for you, from official and credible sources.

United States Demographics
White - 62.1%
Black - 13.8%
Hispanic - 17.1%
Asian - 6.1%
https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...w.xhtml?src=CF

Executive Branch Employee demographics as of 2016
White - 64.1%
Black - 17.9%
Hispanic - 8.5%
Asian - 6.4%
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...tional-origin/

United States Postal Service Employee demographics as of 2010
White - 61%
Black - 21%
Hispanic - 8%
Asian - 8%
https://about.usps.com/strategic-pla...SPO_09_087.htm

You can reasonably conclude that the make up is still similar today.

U.S. Military demographics as of 2015
White - 60%
Black - 17%
Hispanic - 12%
Asian - 4%
6 facts about the U.S. military's changing demographics | Pew Research Center
http://download.militaryonesource.mi...ics-Report.pdf

Critical thinking should lead you to pause before you make a statement like that in a factual manner. It just doesn't line up with common sense. Some will read that and take it as an official fact and spread disinformation since, well, they read it on the internet. I've seen this in real life.

Also an extreme would be to vandalize and deface the statues. From my understanding this hasn't happened for the most part. Those statues were put up at a time when black people had no political leverage and their voices muzzled out. Wanting confederate statues removed from government own properties is not some new idea. It's a local issue and their decision should be respected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies