Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:22 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
What would America be today without the South? We are the best part of this nation and always will be because we have class and honor. Anyone who does not understand those statues represent part of American history are just ignorant classless people. I see a lot of this ignorance and lack of class on this forum.

I am a Tar Heel born,
A Tar Heel bred,
And when I die,
I'll be a Tar Heel dead.

Watch March madness and see where the best people live.

Speaking of tearing down and think about who is doing it. You tried to burn us out and kill us but we are still here and better than most of the rest of the USA still. We must be the best. My county has been one of the fastest growing counties in America for about 10 or more years. We made the list again this year. We don't need any of those coming here but we are nice whether we like them or not.
So, you judge people by their ability in...basketball? That is seriously how you determine who is "best," in terms of anything other than physical prowess in a single sport? Ooo-kay.

I don't hate the South. I live in the South. What I hate is when Southerners act like fighting to preserve slavery was a great thing, in some cases the greatest thing, or even the only one.

I have a question for you. Why are the statues important to you? What is it they represent that you want to honor?

Old 04-27-2017, 07:24 PM

234 posts, read 122,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
So, you judge people by their ability in...basketball? That is seriously how you determine who is "best," in terms of anything other than physical prowess in a single sport? Ooo-kay.

I don't hate the South. I live in the South. What I hate is when Southerners act like fighting to preserve slavery was a great thing, in some cases the greatest thing, or even the only one.

I have a question for you. Why are the statues important to you? What is it they represent that you want to honor?
A MINORITY of southerners were slave owners. The rest fought for the south because we were invaded and have been occupied since 1861. Yankees move here and think we give a crap how they did it up north. If they like it so much there then GO BACK!

Old 04-27-2017, 07:33 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Blacks on this forum said the civil war was not about slavery. So why remove these statues?

Old 04-28-2017, 03:35 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Blacks on this forum said the civil war was not about slavery. So why remove these statues?
Because such decisions are not made by anonymous posters on an online forum.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:22 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Telling the truth is not being an extremist. The Confederate levied war against this country, on US soil. They were traitors.

Honoring the dishonorable is ignoring history. History shows that we should never honor Confederates. Levying secession and war in the name of keeping slavery. No honor should be paid to such persons. Remember that part of history as it is, a dark time in USA history.

Except we were colonies, not a full part of the UK. States imply being a full member. And secession from Britain had nothing to do with slavery. CSA secession, however, was due in large part, as a last bid to keep slavery

Quote:
In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
~George Orwell
Comparing the American Civil War to the American Revolutionary War is yet more of the same o lame o incoherent babbling of Lost Cause mythologies.

Honoring those from both time periods necessarily includes honoring what the folks both said & wrote.

Of course, you're also correct in identifying the Revolutionary War as a revolt because the British Colonies did not stand on equal footing with the British monarchy. This is self-evident to most folks, the exception apparently being those who would attempt to defend the indefensible cause of the Civil War.

Folks involved in the Revoltionary War did not refer to themselves as 'secessionists'. Folks in the present day honor them & demonstrate loyalty to their cause & ... they believe what they said & wrote about the rationale for the actions taken.

The Lost Cause mythologies are incoherent full stop. Honoring people, even those who waged War on their own Country, necessarily includes believing what they said & wrote about the rationales for their actions taken. The historical record, documentary evidence, etc. all corroborate, essentially fits seamlessly together. Protecting, preserving, expanding & defending the alleged right to own people as property. & based solely on the rationale of white supremacy, this is all clearly delineated. It's not only an unworthy & corrupt cause & ratinale, one would be required to jump through unimaginable & endlessly circuitous hoops to twist the words into something else wise.

The only way imaginable to turn the American Civil War into a 'Revoltionary War' would be to twist the historical record to show that those enslaved revolted against their oppressors. If this were true, that War would've been as just as the American Revoltionary War.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:31 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Personally, I don't care if they are removed.
The Jefferson and Washington monuments in DC are next.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:33 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The Jefferson and Washington monuments in DC are next.
Unnecessary & unsubstantiated drama.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
What would America be today without the South? We are the best part of this nation and always will be because we have class and honor. Anyone who does not understand those statues represent part of American history are just ignorant classless people. I see a lot of this ignorance and lack of class on this forum.

I am a Tar Heel born,
A Tar Heel bred,
And when I die,
I'll be a Tar Heel dead.

Watch March madness and see where the best people live.

Speaking of tearing down and think about who is doing it. You tried to burn us out and kill us but we are still here and better than most of the rest of the USA still. We must be the best. My county has been one of the fastest growing counties in America for about 10 or more years. We made the list again this year. We don't need any of those coming here but we are nice whether we like them or not.
Class and honor? Who are you trying to kid?

NC/SC still have Klan gatherings, for crying out loud.

Honor? The South still celebrates a bunch of Confederate traitors who did their dishonorable best to tear the nation apart. Thousands died horrible deaths for slave-owners.

Class? Mostly low class. Go outside the urban areas and it's like one giant Walmart.

NC just devoted a good amount of time, energy, and money on some RW nutball legislation about monitoring who uses which bathroom facility. There was not one single incident reported prior to the bill. Not one. This was self-righteous Republicans and their corporate sponsors, who slipped in a provision that you had to go to federal courts to file a suit for discrimination.

You know who goes around bragging about having honor and class?

Those who have neither.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:58 AM

234 posts, read 122,581 times
Yankee scum are still whining I see. The typical liberal BS...they now pick and choose WHO is a "traitor" to them...Washington and Jefferson not so much Lee and Davis yes....just mind numbingly DUMB.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:17 AM

Let me see, did Washington and Jefferson graduate from West Point, take an oath on their honor to protect and defend the U.S.A. and then turn traitor and attack it?

Comparing the Revolutionary War to the Civl War reflects either a lack of understanding of historical facts or a willful believe in lies.

We were a British colony, not part of the British nation. Southern states signed on to be part of the U.S.A. then launched into a war against the nation. They were traitors to their own country, not fighting off a foreign nation.

150+ years of the "South shall rise again." and still nothing but BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies