Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:26 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I can choose to not use or block a company like Google from collecting my data. It's very difficult to do that with an ISP.
You can, but if you use any of their apps, you agree that they can use/sell any data they collect on you. Buy anything from Amazon, the same thing, the list goes on, and on. Everyone is collecting data on you and using/selling it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 02:39 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You agree to give google, twitter, instagram, facebook, and a hundred others your internet history, what is your problem with your internet provider having your internet history?
Google, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook are optional and there are dozens of competitors for each. ISPs have de facto monopolies in many areas. But you knew that.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
You can, but if you use any of their apps, you agree that they can use/sell any data they collect on you.
Two important words.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Google, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook are optional and there are dozens of competitors for each. ISPs have de facto monopolies in many areas. But you knew that.
They are optional, but most don't bat an eye about agreeing to it.

I would say everybody that has criticized Trump over this has already agreed to allow dozens of entities to collect their data.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:32 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
You agree to give google, twitter, instagram, facebook, and a hundred others your internet history, what is your problem with your internet provider having your internet history?
Choice. I choose whether I want google/Facebook/etc to have my information. And I choose how much I share with them.

Why should I have no choice about my ISP collecting my information and selling it?

Old 04-25-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
They are optional, but most don't bat an eye about agreeing to it.
I like the occasional steak, but that doesn't mean people are free to shove beef down my throat when they feel like it.

Quote:
I would say everybody that has criticized Trump over this has already agreed to allow dozens of entities to collect their data.
See that word? Important word.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Choice. I choose whether I want google/Facebook/etc to have my information. And I choose how much I share with them.

Why should I have no choice about my ISP collecting my information and selling it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I like the occasional steak, but that doesn't mean people are free to shove beef down my throat when they feel like it.

See that word? Important word.
I never said I liked the new rule, but...

I understand that pretty much everybody on the internet has agreed to allow many entities to collect their data.

People are whining about something that they don't care about in the slightest. They give their consent so freely, without the slightest hesitation to some many entities that it defies logic to complain about your ISP collecting your data. Most people are completely unaware that they agreed to allow most of the entities that are collecting their data to do so, they never even know they agreed to it.

If you don't even know who all is collecting your data, let alone what they are doing with it, why be concerned that your ISP is collecting it? I know, you didn't agree to it, but you don't even know when you agree to allow entities to collect your data, so you don't have much choice, do you?

You can let this get your panties in a wade, but I'm just not going to worry about it.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:22 PM

716 posts, read 393,391 times
Quote:
It's been a really bad month for the haters, they have to keep digging up stuff like this.
If the last month or 100 days for that matter, is considered 'good' or successful for the folks who're deficient in judging character, they'll have to keep ignoring stuff way worst than this.

We truly occupy two different worlds...

Old 04-25-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I never said I liked the new rule, but...
Yet here you are defending it. I'd ask why, but...

Old 04-25-2017, 08:06 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
People like "big brother" policies as long as their party is in power. If Obama did the same thing, people would be calling for revolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies