Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:53 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,962 times

Advertisements

Cultural enrichment....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female..._United_States

Quote:
Released in early 2016, the report showed that 513,000 girls and women were either affected - or at risk of undergoing FGM in the U.S.

Of these women and girls, 55% were of Egyptian, Ethiopian, or Somalian origin. The practice is concentrated in eight states: California, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Texas, Virginia, and Washington.[7]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 05:01 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,556 times
Affected *or* at risk. The rates are probably so low in the US that I'm not going to fear it nor believe that this will somehow be adopted...most likely a cultural practice that will drop off drastically over a generation.

Further...you do know that Europeans point to male circumcision as a barbaric and mutilating practice? That's much more widely practiced here.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:22 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
The practice is illegal in the U.S.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:24 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The practice is illegal in the U.S.
That's not stopping 500,000 people, mostly African immigrants.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:09 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,082,060 times
It hasn't just immigrated. It's always been here.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:12 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
I don't think there is much politics nor controversy to be discussed.

It is illegal but still occurs here in the US.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:26 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times
When I was in college, I was the only one in my large college class who spoke up and said this female genital mutilation butchery was a feminist issue and cruel. Everyone else in this class disagreed with me. Cutting off a girl's clitoral hood, inner and sometimes outer labia, and sewing a girl's vulva together is horrific, but the Leftists, everyone in the class, called me culturally insensitive. Shocking.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:40 PM

1,640 posts, read 795,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
When I was in college, I was the only one in my large college class who spoke up and said this female genital mutilation butchery was a feminist issue and cruel. Everyone else in this class disagreed with me. Cutting off a girl's clitoral hood, inner and sometimes outer labia, and sewing a girl's vulva together is horrific, but the Leftists, everyone in the class, called me culturally insensitive. Shocking.
Oh come on. I do not believe there are feminists who support FGM in any way. It's unfair to inappropriately and inaccurately assign the acceptance of such barbaric practices to democrats when it squarely fits into a paradigm of women being lesser than (less intelligent, less valuable, etc).

Old 02-25-2017, 07:14 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I truly wish that I didn't have to err on the side of believing you but those women at the 'Women's March' didn't seem to give a real hoot about anyone who might be affected by this horrific type of mutilation. Their focus was all on 'me, me, me' and what 'I' need, what 'my' rights are, and of course on denigrating anyone who would deign to say that women elsewhere might be mistreated or that this kind of practice should not be tolerated in the USA (or any civilized country/anywhere). That is today's extreme feminist movement - and it ain't pretty.

Yes, it is illegal here by our laws but it is still practiced in western countries by underground barbarians. I expect we might all be shocked if we found out the true percentage of women and young girls who are still having this done to them or threatened with it even though they live in this country. And many are immigrating who have already been mutilated - I am pretty sure we don't check for that during our vetting process - which is unfortunate but it would have to be female doctors doing it because the men whose women these are won't let another man near them. I think some of it is discovered when a woman gives birth and has problems - I think many must give birth at home to avoid discovery that way though.

This is an outrageous cultural practice but hard to detect given the ghettos in which those who still practice it are likely to live. By ghetto I don't mean mud huts or supremely poor areas with really bad housing, etc. - just that those of like mind often cluster together and that is a protection for those who would commit this kind of act.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:17 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post

They are free to take themselves out of the gene pool.

I'm completely ok with it. Do future generations a favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies