Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 11:33 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,624,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
^^^^
President Jimmy Cater 'If you don't comply with and enforce the 55 mph law, your state will not get federal highway build/repair money' This was for 20 years enforced by the Dept of Transportation.
Note that Carter did NOT say - 'If you don't comply with and enforce the 55 mph law, your state will not get federal housing money'

Trump can probably withhold at least some federal law enforcement funds, depending on how the program(s) are authorized under existing law. What he can't do is withhold ALL federal money.

And of course, since then we've had the Medicaid expansion ruling that went against the feds. A Guide to the Supreme Court’s Decision on the ACA’s Medicaid Expansion | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Old 04-25-2017, 11:49 PM

11,556 posts, read 9,270,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL, whatever happened to the party that believed in states rights? Where are those folks?
But it only counts for state rights when it fits their agenda

Old 04-26-2017, 06:01 AM

31,641 posts, read 26,497,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
One word for all this liberal mess....

Gorsuch

It is not a *liberal* mess, but one created by His Orangeness and the disease he suffers from; unchecked diarrhea of the mouth. Again as one who grew up and lives in New York City we are well used to DT and his bluster getting him into trouble; apparently some of you out there haven't yet learned; but not to worry, you will in due time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0f9b6adddbd3

Once again DT and his some kind of piece of administration have proven they are either ignorant, dumb, or a mixture of both.

They are telling saying one thing to the court, but meanwhile telling all and sundry (including the media) a totally different story. Hint; you don't give public interviews as POTUS saying you have issued an EO that will be used as a "weapon" against local governments. Second bit of advice; you surely do *NOT* call the court hearing your case an "empty shell", and or otherwise behave as if that body does not count.

Lèse majesté is something any new attorney learns rather quickly is not something judges will tolerate.

Of course Jeff Sessions is probably the least qualified AG this nation has had in decades. So when that office pretty much mimics the WH you just knew fireworks were coming.

DT seems to still labor under the delusion the US government operates the same as Trump, Inc. That is he bellows and people acquiesce to his demands. Not being the brightest bulb in the box the man obviously skipped Civics or flunked since he seems woefully ignorant of the USC, separation of powers and due process among other things.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:37 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,558,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It is not a *liberal* mess, but one created by His Orangeness and the disease he suffers from; unchecked diarrhea of the mouth. Again as one who grew up and lives in New York City we are well used to DT and his bluster getting him into trouble; apparently some of you out there haven't yet learned; but not to worry, you will in due time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0f9b6adddbd3

Once again DT and his some kind of piece of administration have proven they are either ignorant, dumb, or a mixture of both.

They are telling saying one thing to the court, but meanwhile telling all and sundry (including the media) a totally different story. Hint; you don't give public interviews as POTUS saying you have issued an EO that will be used as a "weapon" against local governments. Second bit of advice; you surely do *NOT* call the court hearing your case an "empty shell", and or otherwise behave as if that body does not count.

Lèse majesté is something any new attorney learns rather quickly is not something judges will tolerate.

Of course Jeff Sessions is probably the least qualified AG this nation has had in decades. So when that office pretty much mimics the WH you just knew fireworks were coming.

DT seems to still labor under the delusion the US government operates the same as Trump, Inc. That is he bellows and people acquiesce to his demands. Not being the brightest bulb in the box the man obviously skipped Civics or flunked since he seems woefully ignorant of the USC, separation of powers and due process among other things.
I like your use of metaphors. Let it be known, I am not supporter of DT or Clinton. Having said that, I am also woefully ignorant that the POTUS could be struck down by (1) federal judge. Millions of people elected the POTUS. AFAIK, nobody elected a federal judge.

After some googling and digging, a federal judge is nominated by POTUS and confirmed by the Senate and House. Hey, I only had Poli Sci 101. Anyway, I think a contested EO should be decided by (5) federal judges NOT 1, and then brought to the Supreme Court if contested. How can one liberal judge be the deciding factor nationwide? That is a joke.

Yes, I am against Sanctuary Cities, schools, restaurants and so on. Oh, I am a minority but born here legally, have international friends (including latino), former latina GFs, wife, traveled countless times to South America (S.A.) and they know my stance. Hell, many of them are against sanctuary cities too. I guess because they do things legally too.

If we go there and try to overstay a VISA and/or commit a crime in their country, we get deported too. It is the "law". It's a simple basic law for a responsible society that nobody should have a problem with.

Illegal deportation - I am against. Additionally, I am against uprooting a family that has been here illegally for years (committed no crimes) and is contributing to society plus paying taxes.

"Piece of Administration" - Surely some of them are good enough. Why continue with politicians that only support NYC, L.A., San Fran? That is plain selfish. There was true corruption in Obama's Administration. I like him but it became obvious and Hillary would be 1 step above his corruption. The net worth sweep of profits fo Fannie and Freddie Mac or takeover is ongoing corruption. DT will probably end up as corrupt too while in office or afterwards.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:58 AM

62,439 posts, read 28,688,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
I like your use of metaphors. Let it be known, I am not supporter of DT or Clinton. Having said that, I am also woefully ignorant that the POTUS could be struck down by (1) federal judge. Millions of people elected the POTUS. AFAIK, nobody elected a federal judge.

After some googling and digging, a federal judge is nominated by POTUS and confirmed by the Senate and House. Hey, I only had Poli Sci 101. Anyway, I think a contested EO should be decided by (5) federal judges NOT 1, and then brought to the Supreme Court if contested. How can one liberal judge be the deciding factor nationwide? That is a joke.

Yes, I am against Sanctuary Cities, schools, restaurants and so on. Oh, I am a minority but born here legally, have international friends (including latino), former latina GFs, wife, traveled countless times to South America (S.A.) and they know my stance. Hell, many of them are against sanctuary cities too. I guess because they do things legally too.

If we go there and try to overstay a VISA and/or commit a crime in their country, we get deported too. It is the "law". It's a simple basic law for a responsible society that nobody should have a problem with.

Illegal deportation - I am against. Additionally, I am against uprooting a family that has been here illegally for years (committed no crimes) and is contributing to society plus paying taxes.

"Piece of Administration" - Surely some of them are good enough. Why continue with politicians that only support NYC, L.A., San Fran? That is plain selfish. There was true corruption in Obama's Administration. I like him but it became obvious and Hillary would be 1 step above his corruption. The net worth sweep of profits fo Fannie and Freddie Mac or takeover is ongoing corruption. DT will probably end up as corrupt too while in office or afterwards.

Here's where I disagree with you. How can an illegal alien family have lived here for years and not have committed any crimes? How did they hold jobs without using a fake or stolen ID to work (a felony) or worked for cash evading taxes (another crime). Paying taxes does not excuse anyone for breaking the law either. Sorry, but they chose to break the law by coming here illegally and they need to go home together. Americans need their jobs back and managing to evade the law for several years should not give them a pass on them.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:59 AM

18,574 posts, read 10,494,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
4:30 central time.

A US judge has blocked Trumps attempt to withhold funds from sanctuary cities. The news is unfolding, but evidently the cities are "entitled" to federal funds even if they do not co-operate with ICE.

I hate it, but the good side is that it will continue to shine the spotlight on the greedy, lopsided left.
US judge blocks Pres. Trump immigration order to cut off funding to “sanctuary cities” | FOX6Now.com

LOL, good!

Old 04-26-2017, 08:18 AM

56,883 posts, read 25,813,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Here's where I disagree with you. How can an illegal alien family have lived here for years and not have committed any crimes? How did they hold jobs without using a fake or stolen ID to work (a felony) or worked for cash evading taxes (another crime). Paying taxes does not excuse anyone for breaking the law either. Sorry, but they chose to break the law by coming here illegally and they need to go home together. Americans need their jobs back and managing to evade the law for several years should not give them a pass on them.
All good questions, so who is employing these illegal immigrants and why isn't their an effort by Trump to enforce E-Verify and hold businesses accountable. This entire sanctuary city discussion is a misdirection that has been the focus for months. Instead of threatening these cities he and congress need to come up with a plan as to what they specifically want addressed with the federal funding provided.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:22 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,070,656 times
There are so many angry conservatives in here that are completely missing the point.

This is a constitutional issue. DONALD TRUMP IS TRYING TO WITHOLD FEDERAL TAX DOLLARS BECAUSE HE DOESN'T AGREE WITH THE WAY CITIES ARE CONDUCTING BUSINESS. That is absolutely unconstitutional.

Thank god for the system of checks and balances, that allows the courts to block tyrant-like behavior of an over-reaching president.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,355,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
^^^^
President Jimmy Cater 'If you don't comply with and enforce the 55 mph law, your state will not get federal highway build/repair money' This was for 20 years enforced by the Dept of Transportation.

Heck, it goes way back to James Buchanan and was the catalyst for the Civil War and States pulling out of the Union.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,355,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
There are so many angry conservatives in here that are completely missing the point.

This is a constitutional issue. DONALD TRUMP IS TRYING TO WITHOLD FEDERAL TAX DOLLARS BECAUSE HE DOESN'T AGREE WITH THE WAY CITIES ARE CONDUCTING BUSINESS. That is absolutely unconstitutional.

Thank god for the system of checks and balances, that allows the courts to block tyrant-like behavior of an over-reaching president.

No it isn't. You are just posturing because you have no data.
Show us the clause or amendment in the US or any State Constitution, or even a city charter, to back your mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies