Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:59 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Both Lady Gaga and the show "Glee" were popular around the same time, roughly from mid 2009 through around 2012. Glee lasted until 2015 but its last few years were only shadow of the show's peak. Lady Gaga hasn't had near the success with her past two albums as she did the previous three. In 2009 and 2010, Lady Gaga was everywhere. There hasn't been a superstar that has come anywhere close since her.

The significance of this is that both Lady Gaga and Glee promoted liberal values that fit very nicely with the zeitgeist of the time. Obama was elected, things were starting to shift leftward on issues like LGBT rights, and what we today call the "SJW" movement had not yet come into its own. Even though Lady Gaga and Glee promoted liberal values, they were entertainment that could still be enjoyed by all and the politics wasn't the focus.

The mistake that both Lady Gaga and the producers of Glee made, and this is my opinion, is that their popularity in liberal circles caused them to turn the liberalism up a notch and go full-on promoting politics. It became essentially pandering. It's one thing to promote the values you believe in but its another to pander to an ideological group (this goes for both conservative and liberal slanted entertainment). Glee did this around 2011. It fails to be funny and relate-able anymore and becomes a political PSA. Lady Gaga did this with her "Born This Way" album, which in my opinion was too political and it isn't any coincidence that her popularity decreased rapidly after that album.

When you look at how popular Lady Gaga and Glee were in their time, it's remarkable how fast they crashed and burned, both around 2012. Of course Glee had some watchers to the very end and Lady Gaga today still has plenty of Monsters, but it's only a shadow of what it once was. Do you think their political pandering is what did these cultural icons in?
Lady Gaga crashed and burned in 2012?

Did you watch the last Super Bowl? She's also making a film with Bradley Cooper.

She's more popular than ever, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 01:06 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Is this really the kind of stuff you sit around thinking about?

Old 04-26-2017, 01:18 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
I remember when Lady Gaga was all over the place and Bad Romance (what a cheesy song) was played in every night club, I predicted her fame wouldn't last for more than 5 years and in tens years noboy would talk about her.

No, it is about "things go in and out of style" - plenty of singers/artists stay relevant and influentia for years or even decades, but lady gaga's "Stuff" is extremely superficial, always about glamourous special effects and fancy stages. If she singles quietly with nothing but a microphone, everyone will be bored. I don't even understand why people loved her so much at that time - guess visual stimulation is all they wanted? Yes, Lady Gaga is all about visual stimulation, and little else.

As to "glee", it was fun in the beginning, then it began moral preaching in each episode, always trying to convey some sort of high moral value, and at that time I stopped watching it. I just hope American TV will stop trying so hard to teach so many moral lessons. It gets tiring very easily.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Lady Gaga fell from the height of her popularity? Are you kidding me? She performed at the Super Bowl, receiving widespread accolades for the show and her talent. She's currently on another world tour and released her fifth studio album, Joanne, which debuted at the top of the Billboard charts in the United States and number three on the UK Albums chart in the United Kingdom.

She's not going anywhere.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:18 AM

18,465 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Glee "jumped the shark". It happens to most tv shows, given enough time.

And Lady Gaga is still very popular. I think the OP is reading too much into this.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:35 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Glee was about a group of kids in high school.
High school lasts 4 years.
Once the kids graduated it was difficult to keep the tight community that was suppose to be the Glee Club in High School.

Reading way too much into all of this.

And like any rock star. Lady Gaga burst onto the scene and has settled in -- while you may not be as aware of her -- she's doing okay.

I bet you don't know how big Chance the Rapper and Kendrick Lamar are? Trust me HUGE!

Old 04-26-2017, 05:36 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I remember when Lady Gaga was all over the place and Bad Romance (what a cheesy song) was played in every night club, I predicted her fame wouldn't last for more than 5 years and in tens years noboy would talk about her.

No, it is about "things go in and out of style" - plenty of singers/artists stay relevant and influentia for years or even decades, but lady gaga's "Stuff" is extremely superficial, always about glamourous special effects and fancy stages. If she singles quietly with nothing but a microphone, everyone will be bored. I don't even understand why people loved her so much at that time - guess visual stimulation is all they wanted? Yes, Lady Gaga is all about visual stimulation, and little else.

As to "glee", it was fun in the beginning, then it began moral preaching in each episode, always trying to convey some sort of high moral value, and at that time I stopped watching it. I just hope American TV will stop trying so hard to teach so many moral lessons. It gets tiring very easily.
so what's played in the night clubs now?

Old 04-26-2017, 06:28 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,445 times
I dont think their decline in popularity has anything to do with political affiliation or views. They went out of style & thats it.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:23 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
You make some good points here.

One thing I want to add is everyone compared Lady Gaga to Madonna during the early years when she was at the height of her popularity. I think the one thing she didn't do that Madonna did that destroyed her tenure as a superstar is that she wanted to go in a more serious direction but didn't balance it was the kind of fun dance songs from her first two albums. If you go to any club or party and somebody plays "Poker Face", everyone rushes to the dance floor or living room to dance, even today. You will rarely hear anybody playing songs like "You and I" or "The Edge of Glory" these days. I think had she balanced it out on her later albums, she would still be very popular today and might be the artist to represent this decade (like Madonna did the '80s) as opposed to the Britney Spears of the '10s.
I think the problem with Gaga was the same as most female pop artists. Anyone who went provocative was "the next Madonna." Britney was labeled that by 2000, Christina Aguilera was after "Dirty", Katy Perry with her "Ur so Gay", "I Kissed a Girl" even with her "Hot & Cold" lyrics. I think even Ke$ha had some "Next Madonna" to her. The fact is most end up a blip in a rock and roll/pop history book.

I just think that people didn't like the music she put out at that point, even though it was better and mature, people wanted her simple fun music from The Fame and Fame Monster.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:45 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
I think Lady Gaga MATURED and SETTLED DOWN. She had a awesome POP run and her creativity in performing and songwriting in her music were great. She was seen a bit too extreme.

She is Icon in the relatively short run on top. But as a performer she never did. Gaga choice to branch out to her love for Jazz too and singing with Tony Bennett and albums with, was not ever expected to be as her Pop/dance ones. Céline Dion did not have a big run but Icon she became. Today she can sellout any performance and so can Lady Gaga.

Both became Worldwide recognized Icons in music suddenly and not long runs on top. Lady Gaga also had less of a extremist, too strange and gay friendly backlash in most of the world as in the US itself. But it didn't kill her music. Her change to more Jazz did perhaps? In a way Gaga was more 80s relevant and compared to Madonna who commented Gaga was trying to be a fake her.

Gaga seems to live quite a normal life. Still performs and sought to even tour probably. But that might need a comeback top hit again. She seems unblemished by stardom that had others crash. Whitney Houston rose to stardom and had a short run. But personal issues related to stardom may have stopped it.

Barbra Streisand became a musical icon. But movies became a format for songs and touring. It was said she had a tremendous stage-fright. That she did not desire the concert scene. Movies kept her farm alive longer. Now seems Lady Gaga may me going into movies?

More Rap merging with pop came in and Gaga was not that perhaps? Gaga was/is far more then a One Hit Wonder. Jennifer Hudson rise from American Idol though did not win it. She is a Iconic singer today too BUT NO REALLY HUGE HIT or string of hits. Her personal life came quick too as first. Is she relevant yet... for sure. And format on TV or performing would desire her too.

ONCE YOU REACH ICON STATUS. IT IS FOR LIFE. Gaga still performs but grew out of a merely Pop/Dance performer of the under 30-crowd as very unique yet very radical in presentation. But really ALL that radical performing persona? Was not really the rather normal level-headed mature person she really is. It did not own her.... she did own it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies