Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 09:52 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times

Advertisements

Another interesting 'factoid'. Only 37% of Americans want it repealed. Also how many use their own state's exchanges. Can't help it if idiots like Rick Scott refuse to have a state exchange and force people into the federal.

"...Just 37 percent of Americans in the national survey say the Affordable Care Act should be repealed and replaced; 61 percent say it should be kept and fixed instead. Even more broadly, the public, by 79 to 13 percent, says Trump should seek to make the current law work as well as possible, not to make it fail as soon as possible, a strategy he has suggested..."

Only 37 percent say Trump should repeal and replace Obamacare (POLL) - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 09:52 AM

46,957 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yup. And I will be honest...I struggle with the fact that I may have to pay more so that a lower income family might have basic health care...or someone who wasn't able to get it before and needs it can get it.
<shrug> I honestly don't care overly much. I am (knock on wood) reasonably healthy for my age. If I pay for someone else's hospital stay through insurance premiums, I am still very much the lucky one in the equation.

Now, why I should be happy to also pay the highest administrative costs in the developed world - that's another story.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I'm not sure where you are getting those numbers. I am a single person with a silver plan bought through the exchange. I pay $250 a month, and have a $3,000 deductible and a $4,000 out of pocket.

You know what I had before the ACA? No insurance whatsoever. I can pay down a $7,000 bill--heck, most car loans are bigger than that. But I can't as easily pay down a $500,000 hospital bill.
So you expect people to believe your garbage story over the known fact that the costs of coverage has risen AND the deductibles are much higher.

For the first time in Kaiser’s annual survey, more than half the workers in plans covering a single person face a deductible of at least $1,000. Deductibles for family plans are typically even higher.

Since 2011, the average deductible for single coverage has soared 63 percent, according to the survey, while workers’ earnings have gone up by only 11 percent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
THAT's what the ACA has done for millions and millions of Americans.
Yea What a great plan, until you need it.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Forcing your sense of morals on others when no ones rights have been violated IS immoral.
Forced health care is immoral. THAT is what you are missing.
Letting people croak from lack of care is...?

Old 04-26-2017, 09:57 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Letting people croak from lack of care is...?
Who is letting people croak from lack of care...?
Make something else up.

Look up the word moral and show me where the use of force, in order to get what you want, is in that definition.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post

A good price for a silver plan is $500+/month (closer to $600/mo) for a single person and that carries a $6,500 deductible and a max out of pocket of $12K to $13K. The same plan for a family costs between $1,200 and $1,400/month with a $6,500 deductible PER person covered by the plan. These are the basic rates (in my area) for folks who do not qualify for Obamacare subsidies. These rates and deductibles are destroying people's income. They are damned if they have it and don't need it, damned if they have it and need to use it, and fined (I was quoted $795 by one person for this past year's taxes) if they don't have the insurance.
This really, really depends on where you live.

In some states you can get a gold plan for just a little over $600/month with a $500 deductible (that's FIVE hundred) with a max out-of-pocket of $6k.

And it's very true, these rates and deductibles are destroying people's income.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:59 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
So you expect people to believe your garbage story over the known fact that the costs of coverage has risen AND the deductibles are much higher.

For the first time in Kaiser’s annual survey, more than half the workers in plans covering a single person face a deductible of at least $1,000. Deductibles for family plans are typically even higher.

Since 2011, the average deductible for single coverage has soared 63 percent, according to the survey, while workers’ earnings have gone up by only 11 percent.

Yea What a great plan, until you need it.
you're missing his point. It's pretty clear as well.

Either pay the full cost of treatment which can be hundreds of thousands, or pay high deductibles which can be as much as 10,000 in the worst case scenario.

10k is easier to pay than a mortgage.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:03 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
A nice honest post! I feel th same way although most I know aren't republicans but are upper middle class Dems
Not most of the people I know are upper middle class Republicans -- most of the Republicans I know are upper middle class or higher.

I am not the world's greatest writer. I need my hands and my voice to express myself more accurately -- LOL.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:05 AM

610 posts, read 533,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Less than 2% of Americans get health insurance from the ObamaCare exchanges."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rating-...&mod=djemITP_h

This buried factoid in an otherwise "best presidents do nothing about everything" (my words) stupid Wall Street Journal opinion piece, shocked me.

Is everyone bugging out on both sides over 2% of all Americans? What am I missing? I'm not even getting the political advantage of doing anything...which is what the opinion writer says, too.

The President says he needs the healthcare savings to make the tax cut bigger.

All I know is tax cuts impact a lot more people and the only reason that I can see the Republican House jerking around regarding tax cuts is because maybe they have something that makes them believe they'll have a bigger advantage if they do tax cuts in 2018.
The ACA impact also includes those eligible for "expanded Medicaid", a much larger group than those purchasing policies through the exchanges. The politics will also center around this group, as it has the potential to devastate state budgets if the feds reduce their reimbursements, unless they are removed from coverage. Not an appealing thing either way.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Who is letting people croak from lack of care...?
The US health care system - less now than before the ACA, admittedly.

Read this, if you want a look at how things actually work for those of lesser means.

https://www.texasobserver.org/a-galv...he-safety-net/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies