Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:27 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,543 times

Advertisements

I hope at least a few of the smart posters reply, most of you will reply with silly one liners that would make you look embrassed if your friends and family saw how you post.

With Republicans in control of White House and Congress, there really is nothing blocking the repeal. Unless I am mistaken and enough Republican law makers like Obamacare. I think a majority of Republican voters want a straight repeal, no wishy washy stuff. Many of the new Republican law makers ran on repeal Obamacare. I believe Trump did as well.

Theories, opinions, tin foil stuff welcome. Please no, because Trump is stupid, or Congress sucks, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 03:30 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
I hope at least a few of the smart posters reply, most of you will reply with silly one liners that would make you look embrassed if your friends and family saw how you post.

With Republicans in control of White House and Congress, there really is nothing blocking the repeal. Unless I am mistaken and enough Republican law makers like Obamacare. I think a majority of Republican voters want a straight repeal, no wishy washy stuff. Many of the new Republican law makers ran on repeal Obamacare. I believe Trump did as well.

So... they should just repeal it and make a mess a disaster?

Actually, no. They ran on Repeal and Replace. Now they look like fools because after 7 years they had nothing ready as a replacement.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:31 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
The laws have to be followed in by the budget-- there is no budget to sustain anything different yet. Maybe after Friday?

Old 04-26-2017, 03:38 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The laws have to be followed in by the budget-- there is no budget to sustain anything different yet. Maybe after Friday?
It'll be extended (continued resolution) and Trump is finding out that even with his "can do" attitude the swamp moves slowly.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:41 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
So... they should just repeal it and make a mess a disaster?
Well no. After all, the Republicans aren’t going to pass Medicare for All, but then again neither are the corporate Democrats. What the corporate Democrats did was get the Urban Institute to put out an “analysis” of Medicare for All that was phonier than the Bowling Green massacre. Urban claimed that it would cost pretty much all the money in the entire country, take forever to implement, and probably eat your grandmother too, because they were in the tank for Hillary Clinton. Which will, in turn, allow the defenders of the left boundary of acceptable discourse at WaPo and NYT to ignore it as a policy option for another decade, and allow the national Democrats to continue collecting health care industry cash while posing as defenders of the middle class.

In the meantime, both parties want to tax employer-sponsored health care, which will radically increase the crisis of underinsurance among the majority of the US population. At a certain point, underinsurance is largely indistinguishable from uninsurance — if you have a $12,000 deductible and $10,000 in additional health care debt will drive you into bankruptcy, the line between uninsurance and underinsurance gets pretty thin.

Simply put, both parties will only deliver “reforms” that either hold harmless the three pillars of the system — insurance, hospitals, drugs — or allow them to expand profits. The Democratic approach was to tax (lower) middle class Americans disproportionately, shovel a trillion and a quarter dollars into the insurance industry’s maw and hope that they’d cover a few million people, all while standing by and doing zilch to make it possible for current job-based beneficiaries to afford health care. The GOP wants to transition health care to a defined contribution system with high deductibles, which, not coincidentally, will allow the industry to collect premiums from people who will almost never use enough health care for the insurers to ever have to pay a claim, and allow the hospitals to cash in on “value-based” payments that depend on low readmission rates, too.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:52 PM

678 posts, read 438,256 times
I'm no politician, so this is only an observation. -

The Big Brother peeps running this country, want to protect their job-continuance in Washington.
To do that, they need to do what the peeps who voted them in, want done.

Due to all the political brainwashing... in the US public schools, the ignorance of the American electorate is staggering, &
growing by the day, for about the past 60 years. That's how the Trojan-horse (obama) got into office.

>> You want ObamaScare to be repealed, & replaced?

First you must educate the Public so they are able & ready to make sound decisions for our Constitutional Republic.
From this educated Gene-pool, you will get those ready to Serve... in our our Constitutional Republic.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:58 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:

Theories, opinions, tin foil stuff welcome. Please no, because Trump is stupid, or Congress sucks, etc
Liberal interference.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:07 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Liberal interference.
Please explain how, with the GOP holding all the cards, liberals can be keeping them from doing anything whatsoever? It's not the liberals who are keeping them from passing anything, it's their own divided party that is working against itself.

OP, I believe that the GOP doesn't really want to repeal the ACA because they have nothing to put it its place, and they know by merely repealing it it's going to create a mess that is going to leave many, many people on both sides of the political spectrum really pissed at them. But they made unrealistic promises and now they are stuck with them.

They're in a no-win situation, damned if they do, damned if they don't. But it's a mess that is self-created, so let them stew in it now.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:13 PM

10,760 posts, read 4,346,172 times
Quote:

Why?
I guess you don't watch the news.
Freedom Caucus.
Conservative Freedom Caucus backs revised ObamaCare overhaul plan | Fox News

Old 04-26-2017, 04:13 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,392 times
Because it was easier being against Obama than being for something. At the end of the day no one wants to lose his cushy congressional job so the minute constituents start to yell all bets are off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies