Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 05:01 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Aluminum company promises to hire 550 in heart of Appalachia - Connecticut Post

Great to see they can have these fine, well-paying jobs while retaining the choice of whether to pay union extortion fees or opting not to.
This is great news because I live just across the river and just maybe all these rumors I heard of manufacturing locating here is coming to fruition about my Ohio River Valley.Hopefully my youngest son can go back to work for CSX railroad in the Russell Ky yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 05:08 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Actually he SOUNDS kind of like a cool rich dude. Lets take him at his word. Note a large chunk of rich dudes would not come close to doing the fitness center and dollar lunches etc. I also kind of think the 25 million KY is giving him might have a tiny bit to do with his decision.

Nonetheless, until proven otherwise, give the guy a big thumbs up.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:13 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Sounds good...but primary aluminum production requires massive amounts of electricity. Is the infrastructure still in place to support that?
Duke Energy has a gas turbine plant in Haverhill Ohio also Sun Coke has a steam turbine with plans for another one just across the river.The Greenup Dam already has a turbine but I believe the city of Dayton? uses the power Vanceburg Ky originally had this made in France I say over 30 years ago...time for some upgrading ! More jobs,jobs,jobs....
I have been praying for this a long time now with the Veterans Highway here in southern Ohio under construction the development along the Ohio river in recent years now the news of this $1.3 billion plant who says there is no God?

Old 04-27-2017, 09:03 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:

Great to see they can have these fine, well-paying jobs while retaining the choice of whether to pay union extortion fees or opting not to.
Appalachia hasn't gotten squat except lip service. Come back when it actually happens.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:09 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Working stiffs hating unions.

And people wonder why inequality since the 1980s has skyrocketed and more and more working class folks are struggling. The relationship between weaker unions and higher inequality and more despair ought to be blatantly obvious for anyone.
Working stiffs don't hate unions.

Unions are why we have weekends, 40 hour work weeks, health insurance benefits, vacation and sick days, overtime pay... do you think corporations just handed this over out of the goodness of their hearts?

How many working stiffs would like to go back to working conditions before unions?

Working stiffs hate union leaders who sell out and become company men. But they don't hate unions.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:00 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,499 times
Quote:

You're going to use 550 jobs as an example to enact legislation that applies to the entire country?

Old 04-27-2017, 01:17 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
How much are these aluminium jobs paying? Why not go into healthcare and/or tech? That's where all the jobs are nowadays.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:11 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
How much are these aluminium jobs paying? Why not go into healthcare and/or tech? That's where all the jobs are nowadays.
no way man- we should change laws. ruin the environment, and risk our entire economy to support a few thousand dead/dying jobs...don't you know thats how you support real Americans and make America great again....

Old 04-27-2017, 03:26 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:

The company is getting 25 million dollars in incentives.

Hope they can pass a drug test.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:30 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
This is great news because I live just across the river and just maybe all these rumors I heard of manufacturing locating here is coming to fruition about my Ohio River Valley.Hopefully my youngest son can go back to work for CSX railroad in the Russell Ky yard.
I bet your son likes that union, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies