Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 09:16 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
False

Unions prey on the weak, they love less skilled, less productive, and "workers" who need to be represented.
They hate people who are skilled, proficient, and aren't afraid to stand up to the "boss".

When the boss tells you to train the new guy, help the new guy, or loan tools to the new guy who works for half of what you do. Tell them you weren't hired to be a baby sitter/educator, new guy gets a paycheck he can buy his own tools, and its THEIR RESPONSIBILITY to hire experienced, educated, competent "workers". Want me to train, and loan tools out? Better give me a $5 per hour raise and sign this contract that states I wont be laid off or fired for the next 2 calendar years. Shuts them right up, and fast.
Amazing what knowing the laws are, and having courage will do for you... Helps if you are wise with money and have a lawyer retained...

I chased a union out of a shop I worked in back in NY. 90 bucks a week to "represent" me bwahahahaha. To do what I can do on my own... Okayyyyyyyyyy.....

All it takes is a 5 minute phone call to the states labor board to throw a stick in the spokes...

Unions serve no legit purpose. Name one thing they do that I couldn't do on my own.

I'm my own boss now so it doesn't matter. If I expand and need employees, if they cant keep up with the pace I go at, and do sub quality work, they're gone. No excuses. Want to take a vacation go for it. I'd pay them for that vacation time BEFORE they went on vacation. Need a break from the heat and humidity-go for it but don't spend half the day standing around or soaking up the A/C. Can't hack it, there's always McDonalds. Better not be screwing around on the cell phone all day either. I hired you to work, not browse social media, or argue with your significant other. Do that on your time. If its a family emergency go handle it, can either use sick time to subsidize time off or un used vacation time. Don't like my policies or how I run my operation, there's the door and here is your last paycheck.
your last paragraph is exactly the way it was at the two union places I worked at for over 29 years.

I don't know why you think your policies are special .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 09:40 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
You can't retain 6 months of low deductible "cadillac" health coverage while unemployed for no more than your monthly dues payment of $47.
Haven't been unemployed for longer than 2 weeks. Never been an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You proved two things there, 1) you know nothing about labor unions 2) you probably suffer from union envy
Nah I've been absolutely fine without it... I'm not envious of them in the least bit.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:39 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Haven't been unemployed for longer than 2 weeks. Never been an issue.

Nah I've been absolutely fine without it... I'm not envious of them in the least bit.
Unemployed for 2 weeks?

No big deal, still keep same health coverage when we start working for a new contractor after 2 weeks. The continuity is freedom.

I still have to put new member's minds at ease when layoffs come around. I've never been laid off, but it doesn't make me anxious like it used to. I know I'll just go work for another company without having to worry about renegotiating my minimum wage and benefits, and my wife can take my sons to the doctor without having to wait for a new health insurance policy. The policy follows the worker, and it's been an awesome low cost to us policy, made even better thanks to the mandates of the ACA.

I've known many union members that have been able to go on to start their own businesses. Some guys are content retiring union, but others have used it as a stepping stone for greater successes, taking their training, and saved money to invest in even greater earning potential.

A guy that just became a journeyman this year has already decided to open up his own company. He's a real go-getter and while he didn't have to, opened a union shop. He gets his pick of workers because the local wants him to succeed and they know it's difficult starting a business. If he makes money, we all make money. He doesn't have to wonder about the training or searching for employees. If he gets a slug? Lay him off and put in a call for another one, keep the gems. The quality workers stay employed, often with higher than minimum wages and other benefits. Everybody knows the hall trash because your reputation follows you, they're just first on the layoff list.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:52 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Appalachia hasn't gotten squat except lip service. Come back when it actually happens.
Well, they were given the same style lip service Atlantic City was given by another billionaire, promising to transform their little hole by the sea into a land of milk & honey. Wanna guess who walked away with all the $$$ from that deal?

Old 04-28-2017, 05:37 PM

34,057 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Haha yeah, "Startup NY"!!! Biggest crock of BS ever... Thats okay.

NY is going to lose even more taxpayers and competent skilled workers... Free SUNY college to residents, Proposing Heroin shoot up sites to curb overdoses... Nah, don't go shooting heroin dealers, or patrol areas in which they thrive... Pander and coddle the addicts to perpetuate the ongoing heroin epidemic. Someone needs to construct a time machine and go back and silence whoever claimed addiction is a disease... It isn't. Someone made a clear conscious decision to stick a needle in their arm, light the crack pipe, snort the coke etc. Disease... Pfft.

Can't wait to see the droves of NYers flee south...
Amen.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:59 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well, they were given the same style lip service Atlantic City was given by another billionaire, promising to transform their little hole by the sea into a land of milk & honey. Wanna guess who walked away with all the $$$ from that deal?
The mob.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:03 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So Trump removes environment protections because COAL and the few jobs they get are aluminum? And bragging about not polluting AFTER they remove the environmental protections? What a complete and utter joke.

How long is the country supposed to cater to Appalachia? When do they stand on their own two feet? What other part of the country demands so much but contributes so little?
Everyone needs aluminum. The 10th wedding anniversary is aluminum in the U.S. of A.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:49 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
"Right To Work" is a misnomer.

It should be called "Right To Exploit".

Old 04-30-2017, 07:30 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
"Right To Work" is a misnomer.

It should be called "Right To Exploit".
Eh, not really. People are still free to join a union, and union members even in RtW states still have privileges they wouldn't otherwise have. One of the biggest problems is that I believe union leadership simply prefers the low hanging fruit (states that are not RtW), and so union locals tend to be weaker overall in those states.

Now, I'm a pro-union guy, but honestly, my biggest issue with RtW legislation is that it's a little more nefarious than it sounds. If it were just what the politicians sell which is "you cannot be compelled to join a union as precursor to employment", I can understand that argument (though I can also argue, if you don't like the conditions of employment, union participation being one of those conditions, you are also free to go somewhere else); my problem with RtW is that a collective bargaining unit is required, by law, to represent non-dues paying members same as dues paying members AKA "equal representation".

So imagine you open up a small business downtown, and you notice all of your fellow business owners are members of the local Chamber of Commerce. It turns out the CoC lobbies for business friendly legislation on their behalf, they get useful marketing tools for a small business, even discounts at other businesses that they wouldn't otherwise have. Sounds pretty good right?

So you go to join and they say "Well you'll need to register, and that will be $250."

Now, if RtW applied to organizations besides unions, you could say "No thanks, I'd rather not pay anything.", and they would simply have provide equal representation at no cost to you.

This is quoted right off CoC's website:
Quote:
We have strength in numbers. Every single dollar makes a difference.
Even the CoC recognizes that there is power in collective action, and that without the money from their member's it would be incredibly difficult, if not impossible to offer the same benefits to their members, and that it would be unfair to dues paying members to provide the same benefits to non-dues paying members.

My point is, I'm of the opinion, if a person has the right to work a job and not join a union, the union should also have a right to not provide benefits and representation to that worker.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:33 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Aluminum company promises to hire 550 in heart of Appalachia - Connecticut Post

Great to see they can have these fine, well-paying jobs while retaining the choice of whether to pay union extortion fees or opting not to.
There was some silly thread asking where the factory jobs were that President Trump brought back and here they are. Great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies