Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 08:15 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,539,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
Why would you want to do that? Do you know her? If so, what did she do wrong?
Her actions of contrary to your statement. If she hadn't come over here, and if nobody else's parents came from other countries, we wouldn't be discussing the issue of immigrants.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:23 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,672,880 times
Quote:
Mom moved here at age four. She's an immigrant. I'm not. My dad was born here; he wasn't an immigrant either.
So you are a second generation immigrant.

Ok.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:27 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,555,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
Yeah, you really need to do some genealogy because unless you're native American someone in your family tree immigrated to America.
That doesn't mean that the poster is an immigrant. Whether you are an immigrant or not has nothing to do with anyone else in your family. If you were in this country when it was formed or you were born here; you are NOT an immigrant. An immigrant is someone who moved into this country after it was formed in 1776.

Several generations of the colonists had been here from 1607 or Jamestown and maybe some left over from the Lost Colony had been on American soil since they were born. None of these colonist who were here when the country was formed were immigrants. So we have NOT been a majority of immigrants since before the USA became a country. It is a falsehood to say that America is a nation of immigrants.

I know why people say that. They want to have as many rights as others who were here before them. Our government was formed so all could be equal but at least be grateful for those who came before you and made the laws in our constitution that makes that possible. That right should not be passed onto those who crawled over the wall and took a shortcut. They are not immigrants. They are illegal aliens and criminals whether they break our laws or not because they broke the law when they came here. Go back over the wall and wait your turn like the legal immigrants did. It is not right or fair for you to be here.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:31 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
So you are a second generation immigrant.

Ok.
She was born here and is no kind of immigrant. Learn what the word means.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:32 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,444,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My family was here when the nation was formed. I think the problem is that so many people do not know what the word "immigrant" means. An immigrant is a person who enters a country after it has formed. Most of the people in my family were born in the USA. That's not an immigrant!

No, we are certainly not a nation of immigrants but we have too many illegal aliens that need to leave. The biggest problem this country has right now is that too many people are moving here illegally and do not have the understanding of what freedom and responsibility are so our population is being turned upside down and America as a free country of law and order and freedom is being destroyed by those who have no roots here.
We agree that illegal immigration should be minimized.

But I understand why it won't be for any extended interval. Because it greatly benefits corporate America.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:32 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,539,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
That doesn't mean that the poster is an immigrant. Whether you are an immigrant or not has nothing to do with anyone else in your family. If you were in this country when it was formed or you were born here; you are NOT an immigrant. An immigrant is someone who moved into this country after it was formed in 1776.

Several generations of the colonists had been here from 1607 or Jamestown and maybe some left over from the Lost Colony had been on American soil since they were born. None of these colonist who were here when the country was formed were immigrants. So we have NOT been a majority of immigrants since before the USA became a country. It is a falsehood to say that America is a nation of immigrants.

I know why people say that. They want to have as many rights as others who were here before them. Our government was formed so all could be equal but at least be grateful for those who came before you and made the laws in our constitution that makes that possible. That right should not be passed onto those who crawled over the wall and took a shortcut. They are not immigrants. They are illegal aliens and criminals whether they break our laws or not because they broke the law when they came here. Go back over the wall and wait your turn like the legal immigrants did. It is not right or fair for you to be here.
Have you ever read the 14th Amendment?

Old 04-27-2017, 08:34 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,618,580 times
Quote:
This is a myth!

Cases in point: I'm not one. My dad wasn't. His parents weren't. Most of my friends aren't. Millions of other Americans aren't!
56% of Americans are 3rd or less generation immigrants. So my son (32 years old) had both great grandfathers that were immigrants.

MILLIONS of slaves were brought here and that skews the numbers. Also, millions of Native Americans (most died off) and millions of Mexican Americans were HERE before the Mexican War, etc.

I think it's safe to say we are a nation of immigrants.

Now, let's look around at a bit of the BIG and good things that have happened lately.

Einstein
Von Braun - to the Moon - space program
Sergy Brin - Founder of Google
Jerry Yang - Founder of Yahoo
Steve Jobs - His Dad was Syrian
Elon Musk - Immigrant

These are FIRST generation (except Jobs) immigrants and I could list out dozens more. The economic activity they represent is beyond comprehension.

So, yet - we know there are scotch-irish in the hills and blue bloods in Boston, etc. etc.

But the wealth of this nation at this point depends to a very large extent on 1st and 2nd generation immigrants - and, using any decent scale, we are a majority of immigrants. Very few Americans can trace their ancestry to the year 1800 or before.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:35 PM

22,332 posts, read 11,861,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Too bad we didn't send OP's mother back to where she came from.

It's not too late, though.
^^^^What a nasty comment! How despicable!

Old 04-27-2017, 08:38 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yep, too bad that liberals and ethnocentrics feel the need to reduce the status of our own native born citizens to something less than those who migrated over the Bering Strait and their offspring. All of our ancestors migrated here so no one is a special native.
I am a native of this country. Aren't you?

Old 04-27-2017, 08:40 PM

62,695 posts, read 28,894,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
Yeah, you really need to do some genealogy because unless you're native American someone in your family tree immigrated to America to allow YOU the privilege of being born an American. You should be grateful to those people everyday who made that sacrifice for you to have a better life. That America is a country of immigrants is not a myth.

My first ancestor arrived as an indentured servant in Watertown, Massachusetts in 1645.

The so-called native Americans migrated here also. They weren't natives. Just because someone in your family tree migrated here doesn't make you an immigrant. If you were born here you are a native born citizen. We used to be a nation of immigrants but we haven't been for some time now. Our native born citizen population way outnumbers our immigrant one. We are a nation of American citizens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies