Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 01:35 PM

36,225 posts, read 30,664,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Trump is 100% responsible for his actions and Pai's actions that are undermining consumer protections, your attempts to shift this discussion to some other vague topic is because you are out of your depth, you clearly don't understand the policies and so instead of debating the merits of abandoning zero coupon, FCC abdication of oversights etc you instead want to pretend internet access is about streaming youtube.

You must be pretty out of touch with education needs these days. Most teachers require some level of internet access for students to be able to complete studies. Many require students are required to hand in homework online. Many employers ask employees to be available online.

internet access is now what electricity was 100 years ago, sure you could get by without it, but even the gov understood it was a requirement

But there is MORE. ISP services are granted state backed and defined monopolies and duopolies precisely because it is in the PUBLIC INTEREST . Those granted those rights are supposed to ACT in the public interest and the government is supposed to ensure they do.

Pai is unwinding that part of the deal. We the public grant access across OUR public land, and airwaves for a fee and terms. Pai is rolling back the TERMS of the deal ie PUBLIC INTEREST.

just as power is supplied by for-profit monopolies that must meet certain conditions so it is for ISPs. again Pai (appointed by Trump) is failing in his duty to protect the public interest.

or did you just not care about America at all?
I hope you realize that being condescending and trying to elevate your perceived intellect by disparaging others doesn't do service to your agenda.
Net neutrality has been debated since 2002. The only reason your nickers are in such a bunch is because your nemesis Trump administration is not supporting your man Obama's previous recommendations to the FCC (who BTW has no more influence over the FCC (an independent agency) than the public or the current president).

Old 04-27-2017, 01:48 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,619,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I hope you realize that being condescending and trying to elevate your perceived intellect by disparaging others doesn't do service to your agenda.
Net neutrality has been debated since 2002. The only reason your nickers are in such a bunch is because your nemesis Trump administration is not supporting your man Obama's previous recommendations to the FCC (who BTW has no more influence over the FCC (an independent agency) than the public or the current president).

ah, lacking a real rebuttal you decide to attack the poster
, but don't worry my Knickers are not i a twist i go commando.

as to condescending? you were rude and dismissive from the start. i suggest you review the thread a show me to be wrong. there are plenty of posts where i am friendly and non combative when treated the same.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,918,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No one is required to use the internet or watch streaming TV. If it is too expensive don't buy it.

As I understand it we are not a dictatorship but a democracy therefore the leader (President) neither has absolute power nor responsibility. I'm not sure you quite understand how our branches of government work.
Bull--fing---****. this is a modern economy. It REQUIRES the internet. This is not 1950s America. Tons and tons and tons and tons and tooooooooooons of companies require the internet like water and electricity. How exactly do you remotely do market research on say an extremely new and narrow scientific field if you're doing something like working for a big bank doing equity research? It requires access to the internet and databases that are online. And you may not always be near a library. Now imagine your ISP throttling you unless you pay 'an educational upgrade fee' in order to access databases or throttle you unless you use a specific type of database they're getting kickbacks from.

Did you miss all of the recent headlines--brick and mortar stores are closing at an epic pace as retailers are moving more and more to an online platform. Imagine you, as a small company, can not afford to pay Comcast 20% right off the top to put your company on the 'preferred' pipeline and they therefore make you website unusable for customers because of how slow it is. Kiss your business goodbye.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:42 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,075,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
two words

zero coupon, i suggest you go figure this one out. Net neutrality is simply the next part of the same thing.

(i really wish poeple would learn at least a little before posting)
So net neutrality is not affected, I state that fact, and I'm the one the needs to learn something before posting.

You dems are hilarious.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:51 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,619,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
So net neutrality is not affected, I state that fact, and I'm the one the needs to learn something before posting.

You dems are hilarious.
who said it is not affected? that is something YOU just claimed and then tagged on some sarcasm.

in short you got corrected, and didn't really like it..

Old 04-27-2017, 06:32 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,195,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Lie. Complete lie. Complete and utter lie.

But honestly, I've had it with debating this subject.

**** Pai. **** Trump for making a telco lackey the head of the FCC. **** people who voted for the corporate mouthpiece in the White House.

And in particular, **** everybody who's going to defend this on the grounds that it makes liberals angry, hur-hur. You're screwing yourself and the country over for the empty thrill of being told you're on the winning side.

Literally, everyone who posts to this forum, or any other, should feel this way, this is truly ONE thing that everyone should be against. It will change the www, forever. The only people in favor of this are those who only see dollar signs.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:38 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,195,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
So the haters are upset because, well why?

Net neutrality is still in place, and there is no proposals to eliminate it.

Why are the haters mad, oh yeah, because they are haters.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/27/1...r-y-combinator

Quote:
Yesterday, the Federal Communications Commission announced the first step in its plan to kill net neutrality — reversing the Title II classification of internet service providers. Doing so will remove many regulations placed on big cable companies, allowing them to erect barriers and tolls that impede the free movement of data around the internet.
What would you call that? It sure sounds as though they are proposing an idea to do something, no?

I've never seen someone who isn't a 12 year old girl say hater so much.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:51 PM

25,482 posts, read 18,612,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
... if they try to charge too much I'll cancel my home internet and spend more time disconnecting from these time wasting devices.
Which I'm convinced would cure about half of this country's ills for all of us. Honestly, I really long for the days before smartphones, internet, and digital toilet paper.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:54 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,098,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Which I'm convinced would cure about half of this country's ills for all of us. Honestly, I really long for the days before smartphones, internet, and digital toilet paper.
I think you're using your iPad wrong.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:18 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Lie. Complete lie. Complete and utter lie.

But honestly, I've had it with debating this subject.

**** Pai. **** Trump for making a telco lackey the head of the FCC. **** people who voted for the corporate mouthpiece in the White House.

And in particular, **** everybody who's going to defend this on the grounds that it makes liberals angry, hur-hur. You're screwing yourself and the country over for the empty thrill of being told you're on the winning side.
Hate to break it to ya but that's the motivating factor behind about 99% of politics anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.