Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 08:21 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And many illegals are so afraid of being deported they don't use 'free services' offered by our govt. They use cash for everything -- EVERYTHING...and if they are sending 24 billion back to home they must be making hoards of cash.......

None of it is logical, makes sense.

Look I agree -- toughen up at the boarders, e-verify, go after false social security numbers. But if you have an undocumented who is running a successful business, employing citizens & paying business tax, property tax, and personal income tax. Give them citizenship...they are doing more than some of the American born, lived here all their lives -- who have been generational social program abusers (not all urban poor people -- let's go to them Kentucky hills where generations of folks have been on social assistance for years).

Why should we give any of them our citizenship when they blatantly violated our immigration laws? So, they managed to evade the law for years and this should give them a pass? It sends a message that if you can make it over our border illegally and hide out for years you are scot free. I don't think so! They aren't undocumented either they are illegal aliens. They never pay in enough taxes to cover their enormous social costs either. Don't even bring our own citizen problems into this as it has nothing to do with this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 08:25 AM

6,796 posts, read 14,016,278 times
Here is a few facts about the matter. First of all liberals are not for illegal immigration. They are simply against a costly wall which will do little to stem the flow of illegals. Taking away the jobs and jailing employers would be much more effective and cheaper than a wall. Despite what many think illegals number one reason for coming to this country is to work. Take away the incentive and you put a major dent into the problem. Secondly you can't blame this problem on a single party. I live in Texas and I am 54 years old. illegal immigration has been a issue since I was born. Anyone living in a border state will tell you this. They have since invaded just about every state in the union. I personally want a final solution to the problem. Anyone who thinks sending them all back is solution is a fool. It will never ever happen. I say round up the criminals and send them back. Let Congress debate and decide who stays and who goes. Deny work to all those who are legally here and jail employers who hire them. I know many will say we should not reward them for breaking our laws. I will agree with this but I will also add that we must shoulder much of the blame for ignoring what has been going on for years. Cheap labor does have a cost and we have found this out the hard way. You can't allow millions of illegals in your country and then decide decades later it is time to send them back. That ship has already sailed. We need common sense reform and it needs to be a permanent solution. Screw these patchwork solutions.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Sure fences and walls in certain locations can be effective but a 2000 mile long wall along the entire border? Waste of money.

I'm not advocating for a 2,000 mile long wall and neither is Trump. We just need to complete the 700 mile long one already approved by congress back in 2006. No, it's not a waste of money either. It's already been proven to work on the sections where the good walls have been very effective. Do I have to post the links once again?

Old 04-28-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
far too tough of a row to hoe

Humpty Trumpty should have started with building a wall up by Canada, something I think we could all get behind and support him on.

Why would he do that when the overwhelming majority of illegals are coming through our southern border?

Old 04-28-2017, 08:32 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,447,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
If Republicans (who were never on board with The Wall in the first place ) refused to fight for it in this budget, they're never going to....

You might think "it'll be in next year's budget".... Really? In an election year you think the cowardly, weak-kneed, easily frightened Republican establishment is going to risk a fight with the Democrats that could shut the government down?

There's only one hope left for The Wall, and that's if Republicans can gain enough seats in 2018 to get a supermajority, which historically speaking, is unlikely.

The Wall is officially dead. Not gonna happen.
Just a sop for rallies, a phony promise.

Trump must be embarrassed that he has had to push it because of his campaign promises, knowing full well that it is a stupid idea.

Quote:
The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.
H L Mencken

Old 04-28-2017, 08:35 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

Trump must be embarrassed that he has had to push it because of his campaign promises, knowing full well that it is a stupid idea.

The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.
H L Mencken
Exactly.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:36 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,087,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.--H. L. Mencken.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:37 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
E-verify
Totally! But why are states not implementing it?

Workforce Eligibility: E-Verify Requirements in every State

Old 04-28-2017, 08:37 AM

50,234 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And many illegals are so afraid of being deported they don't use 'free services' offered by our govt. They use cash for everything -- EVERYTHING...and if they are sending 24 billion back to home they must be making hoards of cash.......

None of it is logical, makes sense.

Look I agree -- toughen up at the boarders, e-verify, go after false social security numbers. But if you have an undocumented who is running a successful business, employing citizens & paying business tax, property tax, and personal income tax. Give them citizenship...they are doing more than some of the American born, lived here all their lives -- who have been generational social program abusers (not all urban poor people -- let's go to them Kentucky hills where generations of folks have been on social assistance for years).

That would be EXTREMELY rare.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:42 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Liberals will keep losing elections until the wall is built. It's the most effective wedge issue of all time.
Republicans have to start taking responsibility for their own shortcomings and inability to get anything done. The GOP have the majority in all branches and they still blame democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies