Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 03:00 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,351,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yeah, that was brutal. Obama doesn't have any self-awareness to self-deprecate. He doesn't even have a real personality.

Trump is delusional but he is who is he. That's why he's hysterical.
Uh huh. That was brutal..as Obama demonstrates great self awareness and self depreciates himself. Now...lets compare that to old donald who scowled non stop at the last one of these, and who couldnt face one without his little feelings getting hurt.

Or maybe we should contrast Trumps horrific attempts at humor during that last charity dinner where he got booed?

You;re out to recess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 03:11 AM

51,642 posts, read 25,774,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Uh huh. That was brutal..as Obama demonstrates great self awareness and self depreciates himself. Now...lets compare that to old donald who scowled non stop at the last one of these, and who couldnt face one without his little feelings getting hurt.

Or maybe we should contrast Trumps horrific attempts at humor during that last charity dinner where he got booed?

You;re out to recess.
Obama also has that wonderful laugh and great smile.

I don't think I've ever seen a clip of Trump with a genuine laugh. In fact, I can't bring to mind even a photo of a genuine smile. I've seen sort of a grimace as if to acknowledge that something humorous was said but that he didn't find it particularly funny.

Does anyone have a link to Trump laughing? Or even with a genuine smile?

Old 05-01-2017, 04:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,282,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post

What's with all this Obama is a private citizen?
Weak stand point.
Maybe because he is?

How is a fact "weak"?

Old 05-01-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
You tell me how he is a "private citizen?!"
Heck, I want to be a "private citizen too then!"

By law, former presidents are entitled to a pension, staff and office expenses, medical care or health insurance, and Secret Service protection.

Pension
The Secretary of the Treasury pays a taxable pension to the president. Former presidents receive a pension equal to the pay that the head of an executive department (Executive Level I) would be paid, as of 2015 $203,700 per year.[4] The pension begins immediately after a president's departure from office.[5] A former president's spouse may also be paid a lifetime annual pension of $20,000 if they relinquish any other statutory pension.[1]

Transition
Washington Transition funding for the expenses of leaving office is available for seven months. It covers office space, staff compensation, communications services, and printing and postage associated with the transition.[1]

Staff and office
Private office staff and related funding is provided by the Administrator of the General Services Administration. Persons employed under this subsection are selected by and responsible only to the former president for the performance of their duties. Each former president fixes basic rates of compensation for persons employed for him, not exceeding an annualized total of $150,000 for the first 30 months and $96,000 thereafter.[1]

Medical insurance
Former presidents are entitled to medical treatment in military hospitals; they pay for this at interagency rates set by the Office of Management and Budget. Two-term presidents may buy health insurance under the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program; a GSA legal opinion ruled Jimmy Carter and George H. W. Bush ineligible.[1][6]

Secret Service protection
Former presidents were entitled from 1965 to 1996 to lifetime Secret Service protection, for themselves, spouses, and children under 16. A 1994 statute, (Pub.L. 103–329), limited post-presidential protection to ten years for presidents inaugurated after January 1, 1997.[7] Under this statute, Bill Clinton would still be entitled to lifetime protection, and all subsequent presidents would have been entitled to ten years' protection.[8] On January 10, 2013, President Barack Obama signed the Former Presidents Protection Act of 2012, reinstating lifetime Secret Service protection for his predecessor George W. Bush, himself, and all subsequent presidents.[9]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Former_Presidents_Act

Many private, retired government workers have pensions, health insurance and other benefits after they leave their positions. I guess they are no longer private citizens either?

Old 05-01-2017, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
First its not just the republicans that have an issue with Obama jumping right out of the gate and taking speaking fees from Wall St. Sanders, Warren even Bill Maher have issues with it.
As much as I like Warren and Sanders, I disagree with both of them. Honestly, I don't care who "has" issues with it. Bill Maher has the right to is opinion and to exploit said opinion on his show where he is paid handsomely for doing so. He's also free to make himself look like the total hypocrite that he is by complaining that Obama is being paid big bucks to speak when Maher has a weekly forum to do the same.exact.thing.

Quote:
There is a difference with a private citizen parlaying their success into speaking fees and a public servant taking their tax payer paid position and doing so. Its not just the huge speaking fees but the access that money buys in politics that benefits just those at the top.

It is just dirty. From either side of the aisle. And not just presidents but any cabinet person on up. They are getting paid not just to speak but for access and who knows what else. I will say the same thing if Trump pulls this same thing down the road.

Its not just this but getting board positions on companies and lobbying jobs after leaving the government. What happened to public service for the sake of the country not just one hoping to cash in later?

I say if they want to do it, tax them 90%. Make sure its all out in the open, unlike what Obama is doing. Let the US tax payers profit from these speeches.
I disagree. Most presidents take on such engagements upon leaving office. I don't have a problem with it. You do, that is fine. Both opinions are subjective.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's funny......I can post something over and over and I must be posting in some foreign language.

Obama is getting $60 million for his book deal. How much do you suppose he needs? Why would someone get far more for a book deal than the book sales will ever make?
Huh?

How do you know how much that book will make?

And as a libertarian, how do you square your political views with complaining about a private corporation (book publisher) brokering a deal with a private citizen (Obama)?

Not for nothing, but his first two books sold millions and millions of copies. Why wouldn't a publishing company take a chance on someone who's already written successful, best selling books?

How much does he need? Again, why is that your business? As long as he pays taxes on his income, I'm fine.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Maybe because he is?

How is a fact "weak"?
Facts are facts.

Maybe to the weak-minded there's a scale of some sort. But to everyone else it is either a fact or it isn't.

The fact is Obama is a private citizen now.

He can earn money with interviews to A&E, writing books, giving kitesurfing demonstrations, ...Obama learns to kitesurf while on vacation - CNN Video

It's his business now. Not ours.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:35 AM

By the way, there was a four way auction for the two books by the Obamas. Four of the five major publishers bid against each other and the result was a $60 million advance.

A&E execs must have determined that the 90 minute interview with historian Doris Kearns Goodwin was worth $400K or they wouldn't have offered it. Not sure how A&E can be worked into one of the Republican conspiracy pay back theories, but give it time.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Perhaps read this perspective from a liberal democrat writing for the Washington Post.

Obama's lavish speaking fee may have precedent, but it's regrettable: Ruth Marcus | OregonLive.com

Obama's propulsion onto the lecture circuit arrives at a moment of populist disgust with Wall Street greed and the Washington swamp (can doors revolve in swamps?). It comes after a campaign in which Hillary Clinton's Goldman Sachs speaking fees became a symbol of entitled elitism. So imagine the powerful message Obama would have sent -- the reverse precedent -- had he chosen to renounce this road to riches.
I would just be happy if we had a tax code that fairly taxed these monies. I have no problem with people making big money. I do, however, have a huge problem with them not paying their fair share of taxes back into the economy that helped them become the successes they are today.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:40 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,696,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
By the way, there was a four way auction for the two books by the Obamas. Four of the five major publishers bid against each other and the result was a $60 million advance.

A&E execs must have determined that the 90 minute interview with historian Doris Kearns Goodwin was worth $400K or they wouldn't have offered it. Not sure how A&E can be worked into one of the Republican conspiracy pay back theories, but give it time.
Oh, I know the answer! A&E - you know part of the name is "Arts", so it is by definition part of the ultimate left wing conspiracies to add the "Arts" to ordinary people's lives. Thus, is paying obama back for not defunding PBS, education, etc. It is a republican nightmare!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies