Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:21 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times

Advertisements

Slow and steady wins the race. We don't need a big push and then a big drop....let's just go nice and easy.......

Old 04-28-2017, 10:27 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
0.7 x 4 = 2.8 per year. Not too shabby.

I'm no fan of Trump, but I wouldn't blame/credit him too much for the state of the economy. He's only been in office a few months.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:27 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Anyone who believes the white house can play a significant role in creating 5% growth in a $13 trillion economy is woefully uninformed. Which probably makes them the perfect target for a charlatan like Trump.

Imagine that...
Every politician on both sides play the same stupid game and trick all of their stupid supporters into believing they can control the economy, jobs, gas prices...until of course the numbers are bad then you don't see them take credit for it.

Both parties have the same number of dolts that scream from the mountain tops how their candidate "fixed" one of these metrics or how the other "broke" one of them, while not understanding how little control their chosen one actually has.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:31 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkana View Post
And the suckers that vote GOP never learn the lesson. Each time the country elects a Republican president we end up with a recession, massive deficit spending, war or a combination of all three. The indisputable fact is that Republican warmongering and trickle down economics have been complete disasters for our country. Why some fools think that if we just try it again, it will finally succeed I will never understand.

Reagan
Bush I
Bush II
Trump
This.

Republicans completely screw up the economy and get us into wars the public don't support and it takes a Democrat to clean it up. Once things finally stabilize and we collectively forget about where we've come from, we go running back to the GOP again.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:31 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
0.7 per quarter x 4 quarters ~= 2.8 annual growth rate. No, I didn't take the nonlinearity into account, it's just an estimate.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:37 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This.

Republicans completely screw up the economy and get us into wars the public don't support and it takes a Democrat to clean it up. Once things finally stabilize and we collectively forget about where we've come from, we go running back to the GOP again.
Amazing that people can be SO partisan to believe that one party is exclusively to blame for all bad economic and international policy.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:39 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
Uhh you people aren't very bright are you? .7 growth in one quarter = an almost 3 pct GDP growth in one year if the growth is sustained through each quarter.

GDP growth under Obama was worst in decades :

GDP growth under Obama was worst in decades | New York Post

Mental midgets owned again.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:43 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
That would be the Kenyans fault who has been in control for the last 8 years...in case you forgot. Not the man who has been in there for 4 months!
I almost agree with you (except, obviously, the ridiculous 'Kenyan' part). We are still on Obama's budget. We are still riding the extended, gradual recovery from the Great Recession. The one difference is this: uncertainty. Trump has announced a lot of plans (re: Obamacare, taxes, trade policy, energy policy, etc.), but the process for all of those plans is either nonexistent or opaque. This has created uncertainty for significant swathes of the economy. Uncertainty may cause reduced investment. We are also in the neighborhood of full employment. It's harder for consumer spending to grow when you're not seeing as much job & wage growth, and consumer spending is a major factor in US growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Too some degree the stock market factors in future expectations much more than current economic stats.
Are you suggesting that the state of stock market indices is a better predictor of the future than the state of economic metrics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Unfortunately far too many believe the stock market is the economy today. It's a sad thing we have created.

This is irrelevant without the full picture. If it's a true .7% I don't have a problem with it. It means prices aren't rising out of reach of those who are not seeing their wages stagnate.

When we had a higher GDP but it was being driven by the government printing money the only ones benefitting were the ones getting that money. Wall Street.

We actually need a little negative. It was never supposed to be all about Wall Street.
GDP growth is different from CPI is different from income growth. CPI increased 2.4% for the 12 months ending in March. Wages have been growing between 3.5% & 5% over the last year (unadjusted for inflation).

GDP contraction is not a good thing. GDP is about production, not Wall Street. GDP contraction would mean fewer jobs, lesser wages, and less investment. It is not what we want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I'm not a Trump fan.

However the economy isn't "his" yet. The first quarter of this year was still operating off the past administration's policies - to the degree Presidents effect economies anyway.
Agreed, subject to the caveat above.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:48 AM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
you realize you assigned the derogatory names to the uneducated white people out of jobs. YOU called them numpskulls, idiotic, dullards, dolts.....
Just expressing and embellishing the sentiment supplied in your original post.

Quote:
There was nothing in the original statement that suggested the uneducated workers were less than anybody else.....
Oh really? Then why are you backpedaling and offering "clarification"?

Quote:
You came off as being a tad dramatic....
Of course I did. It's an oft used rhetorical technique to expose shallowly buried sentiment.

Quote:
I so appreciate everyone's contribution to society (what a liberal thing to say oh my) and don't think the uneducated white worker is less than me. But I do resent the way this administration played on the emotions and needs of these people to get elected and don't really have their best interests at heart.
Admit it. You were throwing an entire segment of the population under the bus in order to make a point about a political figure you despise.

Quote:
That was the point -- ....but you missed it.
I got your point completely. My post was an attack on the way you made your point. But then... you missed that point, didn't you?

Old 04-28-2017, 10:49 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
0.7 per quarter x 4 quarters ~= 2.8 annual growth rate. No, I didn't take the nonlinearity into account, it's just an estimate.
Your math's fine, but the rate's already annualized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies