U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2017, 01:43 PM

26,649 posts, read 13,936,373 times

Advertisements

Wait now, hear me out.

Trump has a lot of very smart people, and access to some of the best constitutional scholars in the world. So what the heck is going on?

Some of the best examples are his muslim ban, and the sanctuary cities nonsense.

The Muslim ban? He CALLED it one over and over, as did his administration, AND he put in a exemption for Christians fleeing the area. Everyone talking about it, calls it a Muslim ban, Anyone with a smattering of education in this would point out the problems of making it religious.

What could he have done? Well maybe made it about where the terrorists come from primarily.

But the sanctuary cities stuff is especially concerning. It was CLEARLY not going to pass. Its well established law that funds can only be withheld if they are related to it, AND part of the original law. A first year constitutional lawyer would see problems with this.

So we have a choice. Is his administration complete morons? Or? And the only OR that makes sense to me is that he wants to push for modifying our government by pointing to this, and blaming how our government works, for his chosen failures.

And sure enough today we see things like this:

Donald Trump slams 'archaic' US constitution that is 'really bad' for the country | The Independent

And:
Donald Trump: White House Considering Libel Law Changes | Fortune.com

IE the basic attacks on our constitution, and freedom of press that any dictatorship needs. Add in populist rhetoric, fear, and external enemies.

I feel these last two really put in place the need to consider impeaching him. And sooner rather then later. He has betrayed his oath by announcing his intent to attack our constitution.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 628 times
Muslims: Why when America has a problem our citizens do not flee the country but stand to protect? Why are able bodied young men running away from Syria and other Muslim nations?

Sanctuary cities: The operative word here is Legal vs Illegal. Just exactly what about the word Illegal do we not understand?

The Constitution has not been slammed by Trump's administration. It's content and guidelines have not been followed for so long nobody knows left from right anymore. It is like two people arguing over weather to put the sugar in first or the milk for coffee, and another that wants black.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyguy65 View Post
Muslims: Why when America has a problem our citizens do not flee the country but stand to protect? Why are able bodied young men running away from Syria and other Muslim nations?

Sanctuary cities: The operative word here is Legal vs Illegal. Just exactly what about the word Illegal do we not understand?
Neither of these replies addresses the constitutionality, or why Trumps admin failed to consider it when drafting them. What about the word "constitutional" do we not understand?

Quote:
The Constitution has not been slammed by Trump's administration. It's content and guidelines have not been followed for so long nobody knows left from right anymore. It is like two people arguing over weather to put the sugar in first or the milk for coffee, and another that wants black.
Know how I know you didn't read the links? Yeah..

Old 04-30-2017, 02:50 PM

14,372 posts, read 8,474,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Wait now, hear me out.

Nope, sorry

The same nonsense has been considered by "the other side" every President since Reagan. The way our government is setup it is impossible for a dictatorship to evolve.

FDR was the last best chance for it to happen and Congress put a stop to is after he passed.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:52 PM

6,540 posts, read 4,982,803 times
Let me guess, he signed the orders with a pen, just like a dictator would.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:53 PM

13,516 posts, read 9,427,465 times
The so called "ban" was actually a 90 day pause on travel from dangerous countries that Obama himself made a list of.
How do we know that Trump wasn't told about impending attacks and that scared him to action and he was just trying to keep us safe.
Imagine this he is in office a few weeks and we have a big terrorist attack on US soil. The media would have whipped people into outrage to the point of marching on the white house and dragging Trump out because his rhetoric made the terrorists attack.

We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

The desire to risk your citizens in an attempt to become a sanctuary city is just stupid.
During the gas crisis in the 1970's the Feds mandated that all highway speeds would be reduced to 55. If a state did not comply they risked losing their highway funding.
What is the difference here?

If a mayor chooses to claim that his city is a sanctuary for illegal aliens and he instructs the police department to not work with ICE and the Feds whenever they catch someone who is undocumented why can't Federal funding say fro law enforcement be withheld. Yeah yeah the local cops are not required to notify ICE but why not. The person they picked up is trespassing in America without permission.
I wonder what would happen to us if we snuck in to the mayors house and made ourselves and our friends sandwiches? We would be arrested and charged.

If only people would stop taking the medias so called news as fact we would all be a little less on edge.
There are a few Right wing news sources and all the other ones are very Left wing.
The truth often lies somewhere in between the outrage both these parties spread daily.

Take it all with a grain of salt as they say.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:59 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,264,806 times
I'm incredibly concerned about this administration clamping down on freedom of speech and freedom of the press. Of all my worries about trump, and there are many, that's probably the biggest. This would not be America any longer.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:02 PM

I notice a lot of replies still ignore the constitutionality question, and why Trumps administration did it when any competent attorney in this field would warn them.

Lets hope its just them being incompetent then.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:11 PM

35,241 posts, read 45,250,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I notice a lot of replies still ignore the constitutionality question, and why Trumps administration did it when any competent attorney in this field would warn them.

Lets hope its just them being incompetent then.
The question I have to you is if you protested about Constitutionality as loudly several years ago when then President Obama developed the watch list of nations and also signed an EO suspending immigration from a couple of them.

I also didn't realize that residents of other nations have Constitutional rights to come here unfettered and those rights extend to them when they're not even in the US.

Steven_h, I have to correct you on one thing. You said every Republican President since Reagan. Didn't you mean every Republican since Lincoln?

Old 04-30-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The question I have to you is if you protested about Constitutionality as loudly several years ago when then President Obama developed the watch list of nations and also signed an EO suspending immigration from a couple of them.

I also didn't realize that residents of other nations have Constitutional rights to come here unfettered and those rights extend to them when they're not even in the US.

Steven_h, I have to correct you on one thing. You said every Republican President since Reagan. Didn't you mean every Republican since Lincoln?
Obama wasn't making it about religion. Something specifically forbidden. How hard is this? Additionally Trumps targeted countries (bar 1) were more about being Muslim then anything else.

And since it caused issues for people currently HERE, the ruling was pretty much foregone.

Any more nonsense, or do you want to deflect from the topic more? Is it uncomfortable for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies