Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 09:57 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Most seeing that plate wouldn't get the Star Trek reference (I don't know if I buy it), and would think it was racial/cultural.
Manitoba has racial tensions, is about 18% Indian and Métis, I can see them thinking it was the later.

Welcome to Winnipeg: Where Canada’s racism problem is at its worst

Drunk Indian myth surfaces - Lodge guide tells tourists aboriginals can't tolerate alcohol - Winnipeg Free Press
The problem is Native Americans, not all, but some believe this myth themselves. I have tried to explain to them, it is not true. Only to get disgusted looks, like I don't know what I am talking about. When their own people are carrying on the rumor, its not fair to blame others for a myth created so one doesn't feel bad that they have a drinking problem, after all, it really isn't the drunks fault. Not many people can actually tolerate alcohol and over a period of time it becomes an addiction that no one can tolerate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 10:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I truly believe the end is near for mankind.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

A Canadian man’s Star Trek-inspired license plate has been revoked after his public insurance company received complaints that it was offensive to indigenous people. The two-year-old plate, which reads “ASIMIL8,” is a sly reference to the Borg, evil aliens in Star Trek who “assimilate” their prey and go by the motto “Resistance is Futile.”

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/cana...license-plate/
Plates remain the property of the government in Canads. He was offered a full refund or replacement.

I would be one who would not get the Star Trek thing. Then again, I choose to not take offense to most stuff.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:42 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
He should order this from Vistaprint. Surely they can't force him to remove a bumper sticker.
Give the self-proclaimed "anti-fascists" a year or two and they'll be after that bumper sticker.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:46 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Give the self-proclaimed "anti-fascists" a year or two and they'll be after that bumper sticker.
Probably.

Here's another I thought was good. The below is becoming a politically incorrect sentiment.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:58 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:

A Canadian man’s Star Trek-inspired license plate has been revoked after his public insurance company received complaints that it was offensive to indigenous people. The two-year-old plate, which reads “ASIMIL8,” is a sly reference to the Borg, evil aliens in Star Trek who “assimilate” their prey and go by the motto “Resistance is Futile.”

What's the big freakin' deal?! Just change the license plate, make everyone happy, and go ago about your day.

life is too short.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:16 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
hard to believe we've reached a point where assimilation is considered undesirable.
You don't understand how sensitive the subject is here among the aboriginals. The attempt at assimilation was FORCED by the Canadian government and it didn't work. I can see why the word might be viewed as inappropriate on a government license plate.

Quote:
Residential schools were government-sponsored religious schools established to assimilate Indigenous children into Euro-Canadian culture. Although the first residential facilities were established in New France, the term usually refers to the custodial schools established after 1880.

Originally conceived by Christian churches and the Canadian government as an attempt to both educate and convert Indigenous youth and to integrate them into Canadian society, residential schools disrupted lives and communities, causing long-term problems among Indigenous peoples.

Since the last residential school closed in 1996, former students have pressed for recognition and restitution, resulting in the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement in 2007 and a formal public apology by Prime Minister Stephen Harper in 2008. In total, an estimated 150,000 First Nation, Inuit, and Métis children attended residential schools.
Residential Schools - The Canadian Encyclopedia

That said, I live in Winnipeg and if I saw the license plate my only thought would be "Star Trek".

Old 05-01-2017, 12:40 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
This is what happens when the State lets us pets get creative with our mandatory identification markers.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:58 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
You don't understand how sensitive the subject is here among the aboriginals. The attempt at assimilation was FORCED by the Canadian government and it didn't work. I can see why the word might be viewed as inappropriate on a government license plate.

Residential Schools - The Canadian Encyclopedia

That said, I live in Winnipeg and if I saw the license plate my only thought would be "Star Trek".
i guess not. i grew up in a majority-American indian town and they would not have been the least concerned by that.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:02 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:

Between the Canadian government getting mad at a nerd and the OPs concern that this is evidence of the end of mankind, I'm having a hard time deciding what is most absurd.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:06 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Someone has way too much on their hands. Trekkie nerds are harmless and his tag is not overboard.

Crazy people always looking a way to sue people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies