Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:05 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,635,365 times

Advertisements

If you're not home when FedEx or UPS delivers, they'll just leave it at your front door for thieves to steal it, sometimes even if a signature is required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 08:09 PM

12,339 posts, read 8,072,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
At least US Postal Service creates millions of good paying jobs. A US postal worker makes 20 to 30 dollars an hour with great benefits including a retirement plan. A UPS or Fedex driver makes half of that with little or no benefits, even though a UPS driver has to work much harder lifting heavy boxes all day while US postal workers handles mostly lightweight mail and letters.
UPS Drivers are the best paid in the industry. FedEx Couriers and USPS Letter Carriers make comparable wages. Where the labor differences occur is that UPS has a much greater percentage of part timers in the distribution chain. The clerks in the plants which route stuff to the right carrier route.

A big problem the USPS is having right now is that their carrier force is supposed to be able to lift and deliver a 70 lb package, yet many of the rapidly aging workforce are unable to. Many packages are sent through the senders warehouse with a team lift only requirement, they are obviously trying to protect the health of their workers, yet the USPS accepts it and there is no team to lift and deliver the piece. And then most carriers don't have the mechanical aids that the larger trucks that UPS is equipped with have.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:11 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,957,380 times
Almost the only thing I get from USPS is bulk/junk mail, I definitely throw out significantly more items than those that are of actual use. Anything I actually need I get via UPS or FedEx, or its done via email or other electronic means.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:16 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,436,448 times
Much of the USPS budget problems are from the Congress mandated & accelerated pension funding law.

"The USPS lost $5.5 billion in fiscal year 2014 and $5.1 billion in 2015, and its revenue was $67.8 billion in 2014 and $68.9 billion in 2015. "

So it is close to being in the black. Newer employees get lower salaries, and eliminating Saturday delivery would make big dent on expenses.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:17 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,886,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What do you think the true cost of a stamp is without the taxpayer subsidy?
So what? Do you really believe you'll get a tax cut if the post office stops receiving subsidized loans from the Treasury?

Old 04-30-2017, 08:20 PM

12,339 posts, read 8,072,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
If you're not home when FedEx or UPS delivers, they'll just leave it at your front door for thieves to steal it, sometimes even if a signature is required.
Because the amount of product being shipped there is no longer warehouse space to hold things if you are not at home. And the big boy Amazon wants their stuff left so that you won't think that it is easier to make a quick stop at Walmart rather then get to a UPS/FedEx distribution center or a postal station and get in their lines to pick something up. So now the default position is to leave anything that the shipper did not pay extra to require a signature for.

If someone is leaving something requiring a signature without actually receiving one it is because his customers requested it, so that he won't have to spend his day off from work in line maybe long after the promised delivery date, and the carrier is willing to cheat because he thinks the customer will cover for him. If caught by any of the delivery companies that carrier will face the disciplinary process of that company. The teamsters might or might not save a UPS Driver, the AFL-CIO might save a USPS letter carrier

Old 04-30-2017, 08:23 PM

About 1/2 my Amazon & other online purchases arrive via USPS & 1/2 via Fedex/UPS.

My local post office is always busy with people mailing and picking up letters and packages.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:39 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,867,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Get rid of USPS and watch prices increase on FEDEX and UPS. And think on how much a stamp will cost if USPS dies.
Agreed and 1 BIG reason the Post Office is still around is IF it went away; a LOT of small places like Chloride here in Arizona would have NO way to send letters or bills.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:45 PM

USPS is one of the few government agencies explicitly authorized by the United States Constitution? Are you against the Constitution? If this is obsolete or can changed then maybe other parts dear to patriot's hearts can be also.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:50 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,886,409 times
Interesting that we're talking about this, since I recently ordered something online and Fedex lost the package. It was eventually located and delivered a week later, although it had already been replaced by the seller.

It's obvious how much impact the Internet has had on the Post Office. I had to send a check to someone and the last check number written in the ledger was dated 2012. If you multiply the monthly bills paid by the average person times the number of people who now use online payments, it adds up to a substantial amount of money. Also, Social Security and other government checks are now deposited directly. Last year over 40% of taxpayers filed their returns online. Since email, most people stopped writing & mailing letters to friends and relatives. Millions of people use online greeting cards...and the list goes on and on.

The people who keep saying the Post Office is obsolete are forgetting those who cannot afford or have access to Fedex or UPS and rely on local delivery from their friendly postal carrier. Frankly, I wish my mail wasn't full of junk, but that's another way the Post Office makes money. Still, it's a really good deal as far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies