Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 10:39 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well yes, I've actually read all the replys, and one was correct.....

In 1897 Adoption of the State Flag Desecration Statutes....

By the late 1800's an organized flag protection movement was born in reaction to perceived commercial and political misuse of the flag. After supporters failed to obtain federal legislation, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and South Dakota became the first States to adopt flag desecration statutes. By 1932, all of the States had adopted flag desecration laws.

and for all of you poo pooing the idea....
Flashback: Clinton introduced bill to criminalize flag burning

actually no matter who puts forth to make this illegal once again, I'm all for it....
Stupid then, stupid now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 10:41 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:

By the late 1800's an organized flag protection movement was born in reaction to perceived commercial and political misuse of the flag. After supporters failed to obtain federal legislation, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and South Dakota became the first States to adopt flag desecration statutes. By 1932, all of the States had adopted flag desecration laws.

actually no matter who puts forth to make this illegal once again, I'm all for it....
And then in 1990 SCOTUS ruled it was protected free speech, with Scalia and Kennedy in the majority.

One day you'll wake up and say oh it's 2017 and Clinton is irrelevant. At least I hope so.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:41 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It's probably not true ... but, it should be! Free speech is one thing, but, anti-Americanism among many young people (and others) should have some consequence. Unfortunately, the media seems to cultivate and even promote such activity and the people doing it confuse 24/7 'coverage' with 'approval.'
Protesting is NOT anti-American. You know, the Boston Tea Party and all that.

Protecting free speech, and most importantly, protecting unpopular speech, is one of the tenets this country is based on.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:42 AM

763 posts, read 379,777 times
Quote:

You clearly do not understand the function of the Supreme Court.

US Constitution > Federal Statute

Old 05-01-2017, 10:42 AM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
I doubt if most of his most rabid supporters even know that the right to burn the flag is settled law. When all else fails and your Presidency is in neutral you've got to keep the trailer park Republicans fired up.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:43 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I doubt if most of his most rabid supporters even know that the right to burn the flag is settled law. When all else fails and your Presidency is in neutral you've got to keep the trailer park Republicans fired up.
It'll be funny to watch the collective melt down when this is struck down.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:44 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Forced respect is not respect at all.

It's a stupid idea, it won't pass constitutional muster and it's a waste of the legislature's time. The only purpose it serves is to paint the opponents as lacking in patriotism.
Forced Respect....

that is the trouble with our nation today, parents are not teaching children to respect themselves, b/c if they did, they'd not only respect the rights of others, but also, our flags, our patriotism, our laws, etc.

Respect comes from within, and if you don't possess it, or haven't been taught it, you will never know how to react, or act.....

Laws are there for a reason, they may not always seem fair, but they are there....

Do you know there was a time, when you could be sued, for calling other people names, for telling fake stories about others, it was called defamation of character? It was illegal to slander back then.

There was also a time when you could be arrested for disturbing the peace

There was also a time when you could be fined for publically swearing....

Change is good, but a lot of changes that I have seen, was also not good. Laws keep people straight...and keeps society maintaining order....when that starts to break down, and it has over the past 30 - 40 years....society takes a nose dive....

My point is, these little laws, that we think we are breaking, helps to stabilizes all laws....keeps a person mindful of respect....for instance, one little tiny law like burning the flag, instills a repect for that flag, and also helps maintain law and order within a society, like not running red lights...

What people today don't understand, is the trickle down effect and how it happens. It's a slow process, you ignore one law for convenience, soon another law is ignored, then another and another, until BOOM....

8,498 posts, read 4,563,867 times
More red meat for the nutty base that has zero chance of ever happening. Will Trump supporters ever figure this all out and begin to realize they are being played big time?

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:

So? It was a stupid, unconstitutional idea, regardless of who introduced it.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:46 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,942 times
I wouldn't burn a flag, but it is legal so I don't see any point in belaboring the issue. It's a form of protest, and peaceful protest should remain protected.There are way too many more serious issues we've been kicking the can down the street on, some for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies