Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 11:47 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
My guess is that's an old picture, maybe 12 years old. Why didnt they use a current picture.
I am not sure how you think he looks 12 in the picture. He was 15. He does not look threatening in this picture. Who knows how the story posted got his picture? He was a freshman in high school. He looks 15 to me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/u...ting.html?_r=0

Old 05-02-2017, 11:54 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
But isnt that also deceitful?
Maybe that was the only photo that the newspaper got in that case, but note there are other articles with other photos of him out there.

NBC news

Fatal Shooting of Jordan Edwards, 15, Did Not Meet 'Core Values': Police - NBC News

BBC News

Jordan Edwards shooting: Texas police change account of death - BBC News

NY Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/u...-shooting.html

CBS News seems to have used the older photo.

Conflicting accounts after Texas teen Jordan Edwards shot dead by officer - CBS News

Old 05-02-2017, 11:58 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
What are you insinuating? Say what you mean.
What i mean is that people like you, with your comment below, only add fuel to the fire.

"Is it to demonize the police and further add to strained racial relations? I think so" is what you said.

Demonize police? Or maybe just raise awareness...? There is clearly an issue going on these days between the black community and police. It has been going on for decades. The only difference is that technology now allows people to see it. Camera phones, body cams, Facebook live, etc. The three times I was held at gunpoint by police, that technology did not exist yet, otherwise I would have recorded it.

Once again, contrary to what Fox News and/or Breitbart might want their followers to think, not all black people are setting cars on fire and throwing rocks at cops. Not all black people are out to "demonize" police and make them the enemy.

I'm black, and I am both pro black lives matter AND pro blue lives matter. Yes, it's actually possible. I'm for all lives mattering. I would like to see the broken relationship between inner-city black America and the police repaired and restored.

You say people are out to "demonize" police, I disagree. I think some people just want close-minded individuals who defend police until they're blue (pun ) in the face to at least acknowledge there is a real problem here and help us try to fix it. Instead of posting statistics trying to argue against what is clearly a real issue.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:05 PM

36,520 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I am not sure how you think he looks 12 in the picture. He was 15. He does not look threatening in this picture. Who knows how the story posted got his picture? He was a freshman in high school. He looks 15 to me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/u...ting.html?_r=0

Because this is the photo I commented on. The one in the OP.

Texas police shoot dead 15-year-old boy Jordan Edwards as he leaves party in Balch Springs | London Evening Standard

See the difference. Yes the one you posted he looks 15. The earlier one hardly looks like him.
Who said anything about him looking threatening?

Man some people really have an agenda.
Am I the only person who thinks humm, when they see a photo that doesn't seem to match a description?
Like stories of dog attacks and they always print a stock photo of a snarling Rottweiler or Pit bull even if the dog was a lab or a beagle?

Old 05-02-2017, 12:13 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
If you shoot into an occupied car , you get the death penalty , if a cop shoots into an occupied car he gets rewarded and promoted

Old 05-02-2017, 12:22 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, I can see a couple of problems with that.
  1. All criminals are law-abiding up to the point where they commit their first crime.
  2. IF a catchphrase existed that would put a cop at ease, it would be in every criminal's best interest to say it immediately. (Criminals are at times dishonest.)
  3. If I were a cop and heard someone say "I'm a CCW holder", my first thought would be "He might be CCW holder, but I'm now pretty sure he has a firearm."

A lot of US law enforcement seem to operate under some rather lackadaisical rules for lethal force, at least as viewed from my European perspective.
I agree. Lethal force seems to be a first resort rather than a last resort in too many cases.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:24 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Because this is the photo I commented on. The one in the OP.

Texas police shoot dead 15-year-old boy Jordan Edwards as he leaves party in Balch Springs | London Evening Standard

See the difference. Yes the one you posted he looks 15. The earlier one hardly looks like him.
Who said anything about him looking threatening?

Man some people really have an agenda.
Am I the only person who thinks humm, when they see a photo that doesn't seem to match a description?
Like stories of dog attacks and they always print a stock photo of a snarling Rottweiler or Pit bull even if the dog was a lab or a beagle?
Seems as if you are the one with the agenda since you brought it up & keep posting about it.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
In 2016, 76% of fatal police shootings involved non-black victims and 48% of them were white, according to The Washington Post’s ongoing database of fatal police shootings referenced above.
I'm not sure why you linked that article or even made this post. Is it to somehow make the point that there isn't actually a problem with fatal shootings of black men? If so, you are missing the critical detail that highlights the crux of the issue for black people in general and Black Lives Matter in particular: in the majority of the fatal police shootings of black men, the vast majority of these men are UNARMED! That is not the case when white men are shot.

As I understand it, 30% of police arrests involve a combative or otherwise uncooperative arestee. In some cases officers are injured by combative arestees but for the most part they do not kill or even injure them. Black men (and women!) have been killed while putting up minimal resistance to being arrested and in some cases no resistance at all but active compliance. And blacks usually receive beatings while being arrested. I have been thrown around and to the ground and into police cars by police and I am a very non-violent easygoing kind of guy.

Moreover, black people are FAR more likely to be approached by police for no reason at all, and subjected to an escalation of aggressive questioning or search that leads to a violent conclusion. Are you going to deny any of what I have said? Is anyone? As another poster observes, with white men being the dominant representation in America, being less than 50% of the fatal shootings should cause consternation. But some will attribute that to the exemplary social conduct of white men no doubt. That is why there is a problem. That is why there continues to be a problem.

Too many of you find it difficult to imagine that there are pacifist blacks, decent upstanding blacks, black nerds, black intellectuals... ... I haven't owned a car in over 20 years, and only rent one the odd time for vacations or to the airport. I have lost count of the number of times I have been stopped by police and subjected to 40 minute long background checks. I really have lost count. Dozens. No tickets. No credible reason for being stopped... "you looked lost"... "you were driving erratically"... "you didn't have to stop for that yield sign"... oh, but since we have you stopped do you mind if we check for outstanding warrants? Anything you want to tell me now before I get on the computer? It will be worse for you if I have to find it there...?? No? Ok, sit tight I'll be back... ...

I'm 59 and I can see that as I get older they take longer... seems like there isn't any statute of limitations, they just can't believe I have no criminal history... I guess they think if they go back to before I was born they might find that my father did something they could haul me in for. There are cities where the ONLY motorists that are stopped by police are their black or brown people. No whites at all. Ever. I can believe it. I have white friends that have never been stopped by a police car ever. They have driven since the age of 16 every single day and I lived half my life in NYC where I never owned a car and since then have only driven sporadically and I have been stopped dozens of times. Stopped riding a bicycle several times. Stopped just walking a couple of times. And every one of those interactions a possible death sentence. So if my reaction to this post in particular is a little strong... ...

Old 05-02-2017, 01:32 PM

36,520 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Seems as if you are the one with the agenda since you brought it up & keep posting about it.
I made an observation and several posters attempted to insert a racist agenda on my part because I didnt think he looked 15 because the media obviously used and old photo. I felt obligated to reply.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:35 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'm not sure why you linked that article or even made this post. Is it to somehow make the point that there isn't actually a problem with fatal shootings of black men? If so, you are missing the critical detail that highlights the crux of the issue for black people in general and Black Lives Matter in particular: in the majority of the fatal police shootings of black men, the vast majority of these men are UNARMED! That is not the case when white men are shot.

As I understand it, 30% of police arrests involve a combative or otherwise uncooperative arestee. In some cases officers are injured by combative arestees but for the most part they do not kill or even injure them. Black men (and women!) have been killed while putting up minimal resistance to being arrested and in some cases no resistance at all but active compliance. And blacks usually receive beatings while being arrested. I have been thrown around and to the ground and into police cars by police and I am a very non-violent easygoing kind of guy.

Moreover, black people are FAR more likely to be approached by police for no reason at all, and subjected to an escalation of aggressive questioning or search that leads to a violent conclusion. Are you going to deny any of what I have said? Is anyone? As another poster observes, with white men being the dominant representation in America, being less than 50% of the fatal shootings should cause consternation. But some will attribute that to the exemplary social conduct of white men no doubt. That is why there is a problem. That is why there continues to be a problem.

Too many of you find it difficult to imagine that there are pacifist blacks, decent upstanding blacks, black nerds, black intellectuals... ... I haven't owned a car in over 20 years, and only rent one the odd time for vacations or to the airport. I have lost count of the number of times I have been stopped by police and subjected to 40 minute long background checks. I really have lost count. Dozens. No tickets. No credible reason for being stopped... "you looked lost"... "you were driving erratically"... "you didn't have to stop for that yield sign"... oh, but since we have you stopped do you mind if we check for outstanding warrants? Anything you want to tell me now before I get on the computer? It will be worse for you if I have to find it there...?? No? Ok, sit tight I'll be back... ...

I'm 59 and I can see that as I get older they take longer... seems like there isn't any statute of limitations, they just can't believe I have no criminal history... I guess they think if they go back to before I was born they might find that my father did something they could haul me in for. There are cities where the ONLY motorists that are stopped by police are their black or brown people. No whites at all. Ever. I can believe it. I have white friends that have never been stopped by a police car ever. They have driven since the age of 16 every single day and I lived half my life in NYC where I never owned a car and since then have only driven sporadically and I have been stopped dozens of times. Stopped riding a bicycle several times. Stopped just walking a couple of times. And every one of those interactions a possible death sentence. So if my reaction to this post in particular is a little strong... ...

An Empirical Analysis of Racial Differences in Police Use of Force

A study by a Harvard professor released last summer, reference of paper above, found no evidence of racial bias in police shootings even though officers were more likely to interact physically with non-whites than whites.

The paper for the National Bureau of Economic Research, which examined thousands of incidents at 10 large police departments in California, Florida and Texas, concluded that police were no more likely to shoot non-whites than whites after factoring in extenuating circumstances.

“On the most extreme use of force officer-involved shootings we find no racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual factors are taken into account,” said Harvard economics professor Roland G. Fryer Jr. in the abstract of the July 2016 paper.

Mr. Fryer, who is black, told The New York Times that the finding of no racial discrimination in police shootings was “the most surprising result of my career.”

My point wasn't statistics, but the unbiased statistics don't support the narrative that cops don't fatally shoot whites or that blacks are more racial discriminated in police shootings than whites.

The facts, which were dismissed in lieu of anecdotal experience and feelings, are that every time there is a police shooting of a black, the media picks it up and a thread is posted on City Data about how criminal, awful, evil police are to blacks. My other point was the decision by the Press to only publish fatal shootings of blacks and not whites stirs the pot of racial and cop hatred.

I don't want to get bogged down in this topic, but it is obvious some have an agenda to push. I'm not interested in engaging with people who approach this subject based on anecdotes and feelings, not facts, and don't acknowledge the double standard for threads like this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies