Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:13 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,335,641 times

Advertisements

People have the right to live wherever, and however they want to - the only limitation being a financial limitation

People have the right to drive whatever they want to - again, subject only to they own financial limitations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 08:22 AM

20,186 posts, read 23,914,233 times
This is a silly point. Are you suggesting that EVERYONE that works at ONE company live where the company is based? So if the company moved to another part of the city, I guess everyone should move to prevent... what? Sprawl? If everyone lived close to the company, the only thing that will happen is homes get smaller and more expensive, like NYC. Thats a fact of living in high density areas, would I trade paying more for a smaller apartment or pay more for a longer commute. I take the longer commute in any day of the week. Europe isn't trying to prevent sprawl, they just can't afford it... we can... I wouldn't use these countries as models. If you want to use a country as model then you have to use a country with large land mass like us AND same wealth and access to utilities... countries like ours have sprawl because it WORKS...

Old 03-08-2008, 08:24 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,353,078 times
As long as you don't mind hours of commute, the price of gas and tolls that go along with that massive commute, you can live anywhere. In our society, there is a facade of 'freedom to do what you want', and that includes the freedon to live in subdivisions called things like The Hills of Lakecreek Swallows that are 90 miles from work. Of course, that commute has to be done alone, because carpools are 'inconvenient', and in a an 8 seat SUV, because you never know when you'll have to stop at Lowe's for some drywall, and of course, they're 'safer'. So....live and let live. If people want to spend their money (and more importantly, time) on that lifestyle so be it. If you'd rather live smaller and more centrally and, say, invest more...well, that's another choice.

Last edited by mimimomx3; 03-08-2008 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: overcaffeinated fingers

Old 03-08-2008, 10:20 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,293,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Other opportunities lie with Solar Power. The technology has advanced considerably including producing cheaper solar cells. However, the costs are still high and oil companies and other large corporations such as BP and GE have large ownership positions.

The oil companies are not going to give these items away without attaching a large price tag since they are essentially eliminating their life-long cash stream in doing so.

That's business. Anyone who comes up with a cheaper alternative and starts to sell it all of a sudden becomes a person of interest who will most likely be bought out of their invention.

Hmmm, I've got to go start working on that solar cell idea. Lol!
Alternative energies, as much as they are touted by feel good politicians, are not realistic at this point in time. No matter what technology is out there, until all the oil is depleted, Big Oil will not allow a cheaper alternative fuel to make it to the market. Our only way to fix this problem short term is higher MPG cars/hybrids and shorter commutes. Forcing the auto manufacturers to adhere to strict gas mileage standards for consumer vehicles is an excellent first step. Why does that 90 mile commute have to be in an SUV that gets 10 mpg when it can be in a luxury car that gets 30+ mpg?

High speed rail lines are an interesting idea; they have those in Europe and I wish they would implement them in the US. They would be an excellent solution for those who want to live 90 miles out. The problem there though lies with the airline industry.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:27 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,880,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Zoning is what creates sprawl, it is another loss of freedom that should be eliminated. Before zoning we had no sprawl and lower costs of living.
Completely true. In many of these suburban areas, businesses are completely zoned out and many of the streets don't even have side walks, then you have the city council asking why the city has sprawled so much.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:35 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,880,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
This is a silly point. Are you suggesting that EVERYONE that works at ONE company live where the company is based? So if the company moved to another part of the city, I guess everyone should move to prevent... what? Sprawl? If everyone lived close to the company, the only thing that will happen is homes get smaller and more expensive, like NYC. Thats a fact of living in high density areas, would I trade paying more for a smaller apartment or pay more for a longer commute. I take the longer commute in any day of the week. Europe isn't trying to prevent sprawl, they just can't afford it... we can... I wouldn't use these countries as models. If you want to use a country as model then you have to use a country with large land mass like us AND same wealth and access to utilities... countries like ours have sprawl because it WORKS...
I currently live in Australia (but I'm not Australian) and Australian cities are major sprawling areas. Brisbane has something like 1.5 million people in its city limits and its area is about 460 square miles and its metropolitan area is over 2,000 square miles. The Australian system is a bit more confusing than the American system, but that is the gist of it.

Even Sydney has a lower population density than San Jose.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:35 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,400,514 times
The way things are going, the market will eradicate urban sprawl. It is a unsustainable life style. Unless government takes steps toward mass transit in these areas (shrugs)

Old 03-08-2008, 10:42 AM

20,186 posts, read 23,914,233 times
Hahaha... nope, urban sprawl will NEVER go away, no matter how much people hate it because they can't live in these areas... if I have to drive hybrid vehicles then thats what is going to happen, but it will always be here and growing...

Old 03-08-2008, 10:43 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,583,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I currently live in Australia (but I'm not Australian) and Australian cities are major sprawling areas. Brisbane has something like 1.5 million people in its city limits and its area is about 460 square miles and its metropolitan area is over 2,000 square miles. The Australian system is a bit more confusing than the American system, but that is the gist of it.

Even Sydney has a lower population density than San Jose.
I've heard something along these lines also. I ALSO seem to recall that the inhabitants of New Zealand are the world's most "resistant" society to the idea of apartment or 'condo" living...in other words, they have the highest rate in the world of going to great lengths to have their own little "piece of the earth". Of COURSE, if that's true, it would obviously contribute to sprawl.

Another oddity I've noticed (don't know how true this is) that some of the remotest areas, with the 'ruggedest image', (Greenland, the Canadian arctic, the vast spaces of the American West, OBVIOUSLY the Antarctic), for SOME reason, seem to have a relatively high rate of folks living in apartment-style buildings. If this is true, it could be because a harsh climate simply works AGAINST the construction of single-family structures---or the fact that "government" is simply a bigger 'player' in these areas than in more 'conventional' settings---or the fact that some of these are places so remote that employers have no choice but to provide housing (mines, etc).... (or maybe it's only my 'personal impression', and not altogether accurate)...

Last edited by macmeal; 03-08-2008 at 10:57 AM..

Old 03-08-2008, 10:51 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,353,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Hahaha... nope, urban sprawl will NEVER go away, no matter how much people hate it because they can't live in these areas... if I have to drive hybrid vehicles then thats what is going to happen, but it will always be here and growing...
do you mean 'suburban' sprawl? i don't hate suburban sprawl, and i don't care if people want to live there. i just despise the complaining and the calls for 'government' to do something about long commutes and traffic problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies