Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:02 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
I think a reasonably good idea would be another public service works employing people to build mass transit speed-rail lines with connections to urban hubs.

Example: In Michigan, connect every dense city with another. Detroit-Flint-Port Huron-Lansing-Saginaw-Grand Rapids and so forth.

Problem solved.
Actually not quite solved.

1) Where do you get the billions and billions of dollars to build the mass transit system
2) What do you do, if people still refuse to use the transit system after its built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 08:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Becausee our refineries are set up to produce mostly gasolinhe. Just as after WWII refineries were setup to produce high octane gasoline for the war effort and car makers produced the high compression engine to burn it. It is expensive to convert a refinery and not worth the price. Same reason we are not building new refineries only expnading the existing one. No one wants to take on the risky endless paper work and politic of building one. Besides in the years to come who knows if they will pay off as we shift energy by necessity.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:30 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,544,623 times
Yes!! Lets everybody be mandated by the government that they have to live within 5 miles of their workplace, and ride bicycles to work (if you are to lazy to walk 5 miles). That will do nothing but good for the world and the economy and the country. Because overcrowding in cities has never been responsible for any bad things ever!!!

Suburbs = exurbs = sprawl = bad land hungry no taste morons who are destroying it for all the good people

Urban = density = price premiums for property = civilized happy lovely people who always pitch in to help their neighbors and love everyone!!!

Yay!! Happy Urban Mega-Density!!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Yes!! Lets everybody be mandated by the government that they have to live within 5 miles of their workplace, and ride bicycles to work (if you are to lazy to walk 5 miles). That will do nothing but good for the world and the economy and the country. Because overcrowding in cities has never been responsible for any bad things ever!!!

Suburbs = exurbs = sprawl = bad land hungry no taste morons who are destroying it for all the good people

Urban = density = price premiums for property = civilized happy lovely people who always pitch in to help their neighbors and love everyone!!!

Yay!! Happy Urban Mega-Density!!
Y'know, I do live in the burbs, yet only 4 1/2 miles from my work. DH is barely over the 5 mile mark at 6 miles. I've said this too many times to count on CD, but I'll say it again, Living in the burbs doesn not mean you commute ridiculous distances to work, shop, go to the doctor, or do anything else!

Old 03-15-2008, 11:09 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
It's the bad things that cites bring that makes people go to the burbs;your right.Actauloly I think people in the city use just as much gas and don't go very far.People don't just use their car for work.Besides now days you can find evryhting you want in the burbs as the best businesses follow the peope.I hate city life personally.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:39 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,912,706 times
Quote:
Katiana;3147985]....., Living in the burbs doesn not mean you commute ridiculous distances to work, shop, go to the doctor, or do anything else
I does when you're trying to engineer everyone elses life to bring about your idea of utopia.

Can't let reality get in the way.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I does when you're trying to engineer everyone elses life to bring about your idea of utopia.

Can't let reality get in the way.
I don't quite get what you're saying. I'm not trying to engineer anything. I'm just trying to make a living.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:09 AM

120 posts, read 390,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
I have been praying to God and all the heads of car companies to create a hybrid that can haul 3 kids in carseats. The second one is made I'm on it. And I know there is a Chevy Tahoe hybrid, but that thing is a joke. It gets the same gas mileage as the vehicle I currently own.

As far as sprawl, I have no control over that. If I had any say in the matter I'd do away with sprawl and revamp inner cities instead.
"Praying", like that's really gonna help. How about actually being pro-active in the community and doing something real, if you want to make any real change...... that's what I'll "pray" for...

Funny how you pray for your nice car, but you don't pray about the sprawl issue..... is that called selective praying????

Old 03-16-2008, 01:28 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,912,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't quite get what you're saying. I'm not trying to engineer anything. I'm just trying to make a living.
I didn't mean "you" literally. I was directing my statement to the ardent anti-suburbanites who wish to use the courts and govt. to exercise too much (IMO) control over where people work, live, what they drive etc.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:45 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,544,623 times
Sorry gang - my previous post was sarcasm. Was hoping that the hyperbole would make that obvious.

I lived in the suburbs, and am now moving to the suburbs in my new state. I think there are nice things about the city-core - but it won't work for us.

There was a thread very similar to this earlier (sorry I don't know how to link) - which also fed into the "McMansions are a threat to civilized life" garbage - and so my response yesterday was because I am so fed up by everyone being FANATICAL about their point of view.

There are valid reasons for living in the city.

There are valid reasons for living in the 'burbs.

For us - my company is located in the 'burbs -- so I could commute in from the city (25 mile drive) or live in the 'burb my company is located in (which I chose not to do) or commute from another burb - which I chose. I live 20.6 miles from work. For that drive, I received a price-discount on my house and land (which I am satisfied with), the ability to build what I wanted and could afford, the ability to truly be AWAY from work when I am not at work (which is important to me) and no city-income tax because I am in an unincorporated township ...

*GASP* that's right! I don't even live in a First Ring SUBURB .... I live in *Scary Music* the EX-URBS.....

Or, as I have started calling them because everyone seems to hate them so...

the "SPRAWL-BURBS"

Proud Sprawl-burb resident, right here..

However, I am NOT going to say that living in the city is bad - because its not. But - just like the freedom of choice we pretend to have in other areas (religion, politics, etc..) your home life, and your style of living should be your personal choice.

For everyone who claims that my 20.6 mile commute and my new home are affecting their way of life?? Well, that's because you choose to use electricity and gasoline! Plenty of people have "gone off the grid" - and if you want to CHOOSE to do that - more power to you!! (no pun intended!). If I could go off the grid, I would - and maybe someday I can convert to solar and do that. But right now - I am tied to the grid, and so my prices are also affected by other people's choices -- but I don't blame them for that. I accept that is what life is like in an INTERDEPENDENT civilization.

If you live in the city and are only "commuting" 2 miles to work (or less) as everyone is advocating - why the heck are you MOD CUT about GAS prices?? WALK. Or Take the Bus. Or METRO. Or RIDE a BIKE!

Then my car, my house, and my location wouldn't matter to you at all!!!

Okay - I'm done. The fanatical sprawl-burb haters can hate me all they want. The beleagured suburban residents - enjoy your homes/life - do what is right for you and your family - whatever that may be.

Last edited by NewToCA; 03-16-2008 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies